JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I might have reached the limit of the iron sights on my .454 7.5" SRH. At around 80 yds it seems the 12" steel plate goes into hiding. I have a neighbor that can get me good pricing on Leupold so I have been considering the VX 3 handgun scope 2.5-8X. I feel it's more than I really need, all I want is something that gives me a crisp aiming point without too much magnification. So the FX II at 4x seems way too much. Actually even 2.5 seems a little bit too much. So I started looking at the Deltapoint Pro. Leupold says it's been tested in their recoil machine that generates 3 x the energy of a 308 ~ 54 ft-lbs/36fps (Rifle Recoil Table - Sortable) vs 39ft-lbs/28fps (Handgun Recoil Table).

Anyone with experience of both scope and red dot on a larger revolver to share?

I have put scopes on handguns in the past. but never a red dot.
You may find like I did. That it changes the nature of the handgun so much you will just take it off.

Handguns are limited.
That's why I have so many carbines.

A friend of mine has eye troubles and puts a RDS on every handgun he has. I've shot his S&W TRR8; it was fun to shoot and I was able to ring a 12in plate at 100 yards with it. I'm not sure what model was on there but it was a Leupold. .357 is not quite the same as .454, but this one stayed true.

I don't have RDS experience on revolvers, but I do with scopes.

I think a fixed 2x would fit your needs nicely. They are smaller, lighter and stouter than variable scopes and don't look as out of place as the bigger glass.

With a 2x it's easy to keep both eyes open while shooting, which has a number of advantages. I can post up a picture of my scoped Redhawk if that would be helpful, but not until late this evening.

I hope this helps!

Anyone with experience of both scope and red dot on a larger revolver to share?
Years ago before GeezerVision invaded my world, I experimented with a series of special EER hand gun scopes to improve my 100+ yard accuracy. On 44 mag, 45 LC, and 308FL IHMSA, all were disappointing. Of various manufacturers, they were all decent quality glass.

When I was able to use solid bracing they were fine; when I was trying to stand off-hand, they all simply magnified my normal tremor & wandering off POA. I was surprised but found (after spending $$$ on such pistol scopes) that was a normal discovery. The higher the magnification factor, the more distracting the wobble. Solid brace, good POA & POI.

I've transitioned to the advantages of small bodied, larger screen format of such as Fast Fire 2 & 3 for my hand guns. The TRS25 is adequate for the usual cost of under $100, yet just a bit too bulky for my taste.

Try as many as possible before you buy. Good luck.

Geezer Vision has just hit me too. Am currently playing with Red Dot sights on revolvers. Using Burris Fastfire 3. Showing a lot of promise, small & light weight. Definitely, helps me. Both Burris & Vortex have lifetime warranties, just send them back to the factory & they will fix or replace them. Will keep you posted.

Consider this;
I had a Leupold 2X eer.jpg
on my 45-70 IMGP0272.JPG for years but found sight acquisition slow albeit it worked well. Then I put a fastfire 2 on it and what a game changer and won't go back! 100 yards, no sweat.

So then, considering the success I had with that, I went from fair to middlin up to 12 yards with iron sights, to nearly crack shot to 50 yards and beyond with my @Velzey mounted fastfire 3 minimag:
IMGP0811.JPG I'm a believer in red dots.

I like your setup Thorborg. I think I'm going to try the rds route first. If I don't like it I have a nice backup sight for my scoped AR or I can put it on one of my semi-autos

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top