JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I acquired a Model 1908 Mauser in 7x57. The bore is terrible and the barrel will be replaced and chambered in 7x57. I don't want to alter or replace the safety and I will keep the original stock. The fore end was shortened and reshaped and the stock feels good to me. Since the stock and safety won't work with a scope the gunsmith threw out the suggestion of mounting a red dot on the front receiver ring. Having used red dots I'm not against the idea, but I would like to get some input on it. Hunting conditions are typical of the west side of Oregon, I don't encounter long shots. Is this sight a viable option?

They make a picatinny rail that mounts to the rear sight base. No drilling required.
they seem to work pretty well.
He suggested mounting with a picatinny rail, this rifle doesn't have a rear sight base so he suggested the front receiver ring. I think another option would be to mount a peep sight.

When I built a camping/hiking carbine for defense against threats inside of 100 yards, I mounted a red dot and it is entirely adequate for fast and accurate shots at 100 yards and under.

I tend to think a red dot is much better than a scope for a lot of hunting situations. But over here, you can go from hunting in thick dark woods with shots limited to 30 yards or less, to having to take a shot in a clear cut at 500 yards within a few minutes of walking.

I put a burris FF3 on my marlin 30-30. What a slick setup that was! Sadly, I stole the red dot for another project before I got a chance to hunt with it, but, I will get around to purchasing another one soon enough. I highly recommend It!

marlin ff3.jpg

I hunt coyotes with the rifle in my avatar. It is a Tikka T3 in 223 shortened to 16", I use it suppressed. I have a Trijicon RMR on it and have killed coyotes out to 200 yards with it. Very fast and effective in tight quarters, and useful out to a little farther with practice. No complaints here, I say go for it!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top