JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I acquired a Model 1908 Mauser in 7x57. The bore is terrible and the barrel will be replaced and chambered in 7x57. I don't want to alter or replace the safety and I will keep the original stock. The fore end was shortened and reshaped and the stock feels good to me. Since the stock and safety won't work with a scope the gunsmith threw out the suggestion of mounting a red dot on the front receiver ring. Having used red dots I'm not against the idea, but I would like to get some input on it. Hunting conditions are typical of the west side of Oregon, I don't encounter long shots. Is this sight a viable option?

They make a picatinny rail that mounts to the rear sight base. No drilling required.
they seem to work pretty well.
He suggested mounting with a picatinny rail, this rifle doesn't have a rear sight base so he suggested the front receiver ring. I think another option would be to mount a peep sight.

When I built a camping/hiking carbine for defense against threats inside of 100 yards, I mounted a red dot and it is entirely adequate for fast and accurate shots at 100 yards and under.

I tend to think a red dot is much better than a scope for a lot of hunting situations. But over here, you can go from hunting in thick dark woods with shots limited to 30 yards or less, to having to take a shot in a clear cut at 500 yards within a few minutes of walking.

I put a burris FF3 on my marlin 30-30. What a slick setup that was! Sadly, I stole the red dot for another project before I got a chance to hunt with it, but, I will get around to purchasing another one soon enough. I highly recommend It!

marlin ff3.jpg

I hunt coyotes with the rifle in my avatar. It is a Tikka T3 in 223 shortened to 16", I use it suppressed. I have a Trijicon RMR on it and have killed coyotes out to 200 yards with it. Very fast and effective in tight quarters, and useful out to a little farther with practice. No complaints here, I say go for it!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top