Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Red Dot for my Shotgun suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by sbryson21, Oct 18, 2012.

1. sbryson21

sbryson21 Nampa, ID Member

So I have a mossberg 930 spx that I want to put a red dot sight on it... It has the picatanny rail on top so I'm trying to figure out what red dot sight will hold up to the pounding of slugs and buckshot consistantly. I would prefer to find one around $100 or less if it's possible for what I'm wanting. Anybody have experience with a red dot that would work for me? Thanks for any info!

2. Thebastidge

Thebastidge 10411 NE Fourth Plain Blvd Vancouver WA 98662 Well-Known Member

You're unlikely to find anything other than a replica intended for airsoft for $100- even used.

What is your intended purpose for the red dot/shotgun combo?

3. JORHAMMER

JORHAMMER Sherwood Member

I have the truglo that Fishermans has on sale every other month. Bought it for $30 or $40 I think. Works pretty well on the SPX

4. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

The Dillon Blue Press has a Bushnell TRS-25 Trophy red dot that is listed for $89.95. Its an ultra compact dillons stock number K07-11643 and its designed for use on Shotguns, handguns and rifles. Its shown on page 76 of the November 2012 catalogue. Give them a call at 800-223-4570.

The Truglo is another option but I don't know how reliable that one is. I have one too and picked it up cheap but have not put it on a gun as yet so I can't give you a thumbs up yet.

5. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I've killed a lot of cheap red dots with a 12 gauge. Bushnell is a name that I would trust, but I have not tried that one - I'm saving up for another EOTech.

6. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Getting an Eotech will not protect you. If you get the 5xx series where the battery is in line with the bore, the recoil till turn off the Eotech hench the EXP series.

Just because you pay more does not mean you get more.

7. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

Go for a Bushnell Holosight.

I got mine for $250 and it shoots even on my AR at 1 MOA out to 400 yards, which is as far as I've ever had it out to with a sandbag. For a shotty it's dead-on.

8. ThemGunsThough

ThemGunsThough RIP City! Well-Known Member

I highly suggest Burris Fastfire 2 or 3. I have a Fastfire 2 and it is compact and works very well.

9. PX4WA

PX4WA Tacoma, WA Active Member

Burris speedbead will keep your red dot lower

10. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Believe it or not the target red dot that came free with my FN SLP is still GTG after 500 full house shells.. CDNN has them cheap. If the gun is just fior home defense it might suit you well. I also like that it uses the cheap and common CR2032 battery we alrady use for mini flashlights and Photon keychain lights

Target Sports Micro Panoramic Reflex Sight 2-COLOR RETICLE New

I may replace it with a Docter red dot later on but it will be stowed in the hardcase as a backup

11. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

You may have gotten lucky. I've wrecked 2 of those with a Saiga 12. Less than 500 rounds each. The rheostat style switch, which is also a screw cap for the battery, starts to come apart and you have to put it in between positions to get it to operate. Eventually will loosen to the point that it won't stay put long enough to get a shot off. The same sight is sold under several names including BSA. The older style of that sight had the switch on the bottom, which made changing batteries more of a pain, but it had a screw-in collar with tangs on it that would allow you to tighten it back up when it came loose. The new one does not have that and I have not been able to repair that type.

12. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I know it's a craphoot.. but apparently if you get a good one you are set. They do have a warranty. For a hard use gun I would put a Docter or Eotech on 'er