JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a good quality sight for my AR-15 and wanted to know what would be a good choice for $200 or under. I know EOTech and Aim Point are considered the best but I'm looking towards the Burris Fastfire 3 right now.

I've tried the TRS 25 on two rifles so far and couldn't get either to adjust to the POI. Looks like a good little sight, uses my favorite little CR2032 lithium wafer batteries, and I'm going to try them on two other rifles, just saying

Personally I'm only buying mini Eotechs in the future, they are worth every penny

I have 3 Aimpoints (Comp3, Comp4 & H-1), a Trij reflex, a FastFire 3, a Sightron 33mm tube red dot, 2 UltraDot reflex sights and an UltraDot 30mm tube red dot.

For my ~$200, I would look at Burris FF3 or 30mm tube UltraDot in an Aimpoint QD mount.

I have decided on the Burris 1x4 MTAC for my EBR, over three hundred on sale and basically 4 bills plus with mounts. Spendier than I originally planned but terrific reviews but an etched reticle if batteries go south. being 1x4 barely edged out the Meprolight M21 for me. Now to sell some excess stuff to swing it.

Brutus Out

The Bushnell TRS-25 worked great for me on two of my AR's as well as Sight Marks Tactical (Aimpoint Clone) on the other two. Both came with 1" mounts with the Sight Mark on a cantilever style mount. TRS-25 at $109 WalMart, Sight Mark at $79.99 Sportsmans. Unless you'll be hard core on the battle field, these work just fine. They also co-witness lower third well too.

While they aren't an Aim Point or EoTech, Primary Arms makes an inexpensive red dot which isn't bad for the money. It is very similar to the Bushnell TRS-25.

I've used both, and most of the time they hold a 3 MOA they claim. But if you want finer tuned than that, you have to upgrade to a better optic.

I'm a big fan of the Vortex Strikefire. It's a GREAT optic for the money.

If you have a fixed front sight on your AR, that's the one I'd go with.

However, I recently reviewed the Redfield Counterstrike, and the performance of the red dot rivals that of the Strikefire, it has a similar price point, but it also has a built in laser.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the better area visibility of the Bushnell or Eotech. Aimpoints seem overpriced to me but a lot of people swear by them. I really don't like the holo optics with big bulging parts sticking out that occlude the target zone

If you want a really versatile scope (more $$ but well worth it for any serious use) that is GTG even when the battery (CR2032) dies, check out the Countersniper 1 x 4 red/green illuminated scope, they are expensive but awesome optics. Here's the Crusader 1 x 12 I have on my PTR 91 GI A3, except my model has a larger exit lense

CounterSniper Optics Crusader 1-12x30mm Tactical Rifle Scope FREE S&H DOH373. CounterSniper Optics Rifle Scopes.

Here's the 1 x 4 that might be better on an AR15

CounterSniper Optics RifleScopes 1-4x24mm Tactical Riflescope DOH323 FREE S&H DOH323. CounterSniper Optics Rifle Scopes.

Here's what the 1 x 12 reticle looks like on high power.. you can also switch to green. It is much more visible in daylight than any red dot.. more like an Eotech, with plenty of brightness levels for any light conditions. This scope is good from point blank (on 1 x) to however far your caliber and gun are capable of (12 x)

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

While they aren't an Aim Point or EoTech, Primary Arms makes an inexpensive red dot which isn't bad for the money. It is very similar to the Bushnell TRS-25.

I've used both, and most of the time they hold a 3 MOA they claim. But if you want finer tuned than that, you have to upgrade to a better optic.

I just ordered two of these Primary Arms Micro Dots last week. I haven't had a chance to see them in person, so I went solely by the excellent reviews they've received. My next optic will be a Vortex Strikefire.

<snip>
If you want a really versatile scope (more $$ but well worth it for any serious use) that is GTG even when the battery (CR2032) dies, check out the Countersniper 1 x 4 red/green illuminated scope, they are expensive but awesome optics. Here's the Crusader 1 x 12 I have on my PTR 91 GI A3, except my model has a larger exit lense

CounterSniper Optics Crusader 1-12x30mm Tactical Rifle Scope FREE S&H DOH373. CounterSniper Optics Rifle Scopes.

Here's the 1 x 4 that might be better on an AR15

CounterSniper Optics RifleScopes 1-4x24mm Tactical Riflescope DOH323 FREE S&H DOH323. CounterSniper Optics Rifle Scopes.

Here's what the 1 x 12 reticle looks like on high power.. you can also switch to green. It is much more visible in daylight than any red dot.. more like an Eotech, with plenty of brightness levels for any light conditions. This scope is good from point blank (on 1 x) to however far your caliber and gun are capable of (12 x)

View attachment 74286

Blitzkrieg, not trying to start a flame war on this. But are you serious about this CounterSniper recommendation? Having watched the trashing they received over at sniper's hide, I couldn't in good conscious recommend them to anyone. Especially at their listed prices.

Blitzkrieg, not trying to start a flame war on this. But are you serious about this CounterSniper recommendation? Having watched the trashing they received over at sniper's hide, I couldn't in good conscious recommend them to anyone. Especially at their listed prices.

I have had zero problem with mine so far. I have to say that snipers hide forum has impressed me very little and I have perused it for years. Lots of ego and testosterone there with a little but not enough common sense. YMMV

BTW lots of folks swear by the Vortex Strikefire and many think it's cheap junk.. I've never owned one so I can't speak to that.. so whatever

Yet another vote for the Vortex Strikefire. Inexpensive, with pretty good controls. red/green options and NV compatible. Put in on a QD mount and you are good to go.

Another satisfied owner of the Vortex Strikefire, what I really like is the ability to switch to the green dot when the sun is in your face.

As stated B-4 it has never lost POI since I attached it 9 months ago & during 8 range trips to attack that pesky metal man at 100 yds.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews