JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
:):)I read this on a site earlier" To dream that a gun jams or fails to fire indicates that you are feeling powerless in some waking situation. Perhaps you need to attack your problems from a different approach. Alternatively, a malfunctioning gun represents sexual impotence or fear of impotence."
... I guess this is where the term Shooting blanks comes from :)

Last Edited:
I never have gun dreams, but I had one last night. I suppose it's all this talk about gun dreams.

However my dream was not about shooting at someone. My dream I was at a gun show and I bought a high end 10/22 receiver. Only when I got home it was actually a AR-15 upper and BCG. It was quite confusing

I had nightmares as a child where I would leap down the staircase to my bedroom. I would wake up right before I landed a the bottom of the staircase. I have never dreamed about shooting a BG.

I never had those type of dreams until my wife started playing a Walking Dead video game.
Her slow reaction times with the Playstation controller and terrible shot placements makes for a lot of gut wrenching screams and flesh chomping gore.
I can't be in the same room anymore while she plays. She wouldn't last five minutes in a real zombie outbreak.

I was a little puzzled by your use of the word "infective" Is this some caliber or cartridge that causes infections?
Like a zombie round in reverse?
A cross between a flechette round and a punji stick?

Did you mean "invective?"
noun
1. vehement or violent denunciation, censure, or reproach.
2. a railing accusation; vituperation.
3. an insulting or abusive word or expression.
Some caliber that is insulting?

I meant ineffective, using my fat thumbs on a cell phone with auto correct can lead to mistakes. Thank you however for consulting Webster's and attempting to correct my misuse of a word.

I never had those type of dreams until my wife started playing a Walking Dead video game.
Her slow reaction times with the Playstation controller and terrible shot placements makes for a lot of gut wrenching screams and flesh chomping gore.
I can't be in the same room anymore while she plays. She wouldn't last five minutes in a real zombie outbreak.

Gawd! I hear that! I've always had lightning reflexes and even as an old, disabled codger they're still better than average. We can be driving along and I will see a hazard, scream like a little girl, jamb my foot on the imaginary brake pedal, say my "please forgive me's", have a last smoke (hey, I'm dieing, right!), and roll up in a compact package, perfectly positioned to kiss my azz bye bye!
She hasnt seen the issue yet!

Sorry for bending the thread! jbett hit a chord with his post! I've never had a wimpy/roll out the barrel caliber dream. Doesnt sound fun, though!

Gawd! I hear that! I've always had lightning reflexes and even as an old, disabled codger they're still better than average. We can be driving along and I will see a hazard, scream like a little girl, jamb my foot on the imaginary brake pedal, say my "please forgive me's", have a last smoke (hey, I'm dieing, right!), and roll up in a compact package, perfectly positioned to kiss my azz bye bye!
She hasnt seen the issue yet!

Sorry for bending the thread! jbett hit a chord with his post! I've never had a wimpy/roll out the barrel caliber dream. Doesnt sound fun, though!

I was engaged to a gal like that. She got distracted easily too. Gorgeous woman, was lucky to be with her, but I'm amazed she didn't kill us both in that car of hers. Maybe that's where the recurring "no breaks" dream came from. :rolleyes:

We now return to your regularly scheduled program. ;)

I have a similar dream in a life or death situation having to fire, but the trigger pull is so hard I can't pull it back, i use two hands and the trigger pull is about 50lbs.
Then I'm pulling the trigger so hard I miss.
Then I wake up freaked out.
I think I should tell my wife it's a sign I need trigger jobs done on all my guns ; )

This is *soo* close to dreams i used to have when i was much younger. Only, i was in a country where we didn't have guns, my experience of them was very limited/none at all. I had no concept of killing people, shooting (other than cap guns and air rifles) nor anything about self defence or carrying.

For whatever pre-dermined reason (in the dream) the trigger would need to be pulled to fire, but it was so hard to pull it, like a old rusted up cap gun, that i'd either never get it to fire, and/or it would be so inaccurate as a result, that i've never hit what i was trying to shoot.

I have to say, i've not had that dream in a long time now, which i'm glad for :)

I had nightmares as a child where I would leap down the staircase to my bedroom. I would wake up right before I landed a the bottom of the staircase. I have never dreamed about shooting a BG.

This i believe is linked to 'falling' dreams, i too had that dream a lot as a kid, it was running down *from* my room, jumped off the top step and the split second before i land at the very bottom, i woke up suddenly.
It was always on a Saturday when i was allowed to sleep in instead of woke up for school :)

Many pistol caliber cartridges will not penetrate the human skull - that is why head shots are low percentage shots for most. If the shots are placed so they enter one of the holes in the skull even a lowly .22 is very effective. That requires placement of the shot in the ocular cavity (around the eyes and nose), in an ear, or at the rear base of the skull.

The shots you see in the movies of a hole in the center of the forehead, are great drama, but actual real life results may not match. It is not uncommon for even a .45 to hit the skull, fail to penetrate the bone, migrate around the skull and exit. One hell of a headache, but not a light-out fatal shot.

So head shots are for the very skilled, very close, or rifle caliber cartridges.

Accurate shooting is what will make your day, otherwise it is just a bunch of noise. Practice until you can not get it wrong.

I was shot with a .22 lr from a range of 125 yards when I was 16. It hit my upper left arm and traveled down towards my wrist..and popped out Hitting all kinds of stuff to cause arterial damage..

I had my arm extended outward pointing away when the bullet hit and it traveled down my arm..

I damn near bleed to death right out in from of the house playing on my skateboard..

Mexican kid a block away decided to take a pot shot at me...

.380 is not bad with a well placed shot!

Wait, what?
Same goes for many rifle cartridges depending on shot placement.

Everyone thinks of "headshot" as automatically fight-stoppers. They aren't. A round placed on the front upper portion of the head will very often travel around the bone, leaving a fleshwound and a small concussion and nothing else.

A "fight-stopper" from the front, is the occular cavity. A target less than 3"X5" on most people. It's a DAMNED hard shot to make with a handgun in the middle of a fight. It certainly happens, but it's not easy, or everyone would train for that exclusively.

An exercise: Next time your at a range draw and fire one shot to a 3x5 card in 2 seconds or less (with a shot timer) consistently.

Figure your combat shooting at something like 50% of your average times and accuracy at the range.

Same goes for many rifle cartridges depending on shot placement.

Everyone thinks of "headshot" as automatically fight-stoppers. They aren't. A round placed on the front upper portion of the head will very often travel around the bone, leaving a fleshwound and a small concussion and nothing else.

A "fight-stopper" from the front, is the occular cavity. A target less than 3"X5" on most people. It's a DAMNED hard shot to make with a handgun in the middle of a fight. It certainly happens, but it's not easy, or everyone would train for that exclusively.

An exercise: Next time your at a range draw and fire one shot to a 3x5 card in 2 seconds or less (with a shot timer) consistently.

Figure your combat shooting at something like 50% of your average times and accuracy at the range.

That's a far cry from saying that they won't penetrate a skull. I have no problem with the whole center mass thing, but "will not penetrate" is not at all correct. Maybe he was just simplifying, but if so it came out wrong.

That's a far cry from saying that they won't penetrate a skull. I have no problem with the whole center mass thing, but "will not penetrate" is not at all correct. Maybe he was just simplifying, but if so it came out wrong.

I think he was trying to clarify and did it less well than he meant. My post was meant to rectify this.

So what will stop a fight, or in more correct self-defense terms - eliminate the threat? There are a large number of variables - many unknown. But the primary unknown is the attacker. Some attackers may be dissuaded by merely showing them you have a gun, some may be dissuaded be being shot once anywhere on their body, others may only be stopped by death. That is something that will not be known until the circumstances present themselves and you take action.

Keep in mind that in most jurisdictions the only justification for using or threatening to use deadly force such as a firearm is "imminent fear of death of great bodily injury" which means you are in a fight for your life. AND, if you are in that fear of your life, then stopping the threat is paramount. No warning shot, no shoot once and see if that gets his attention, just shoot until the threat is gone. You'll know the threat is gone when the attacker has run away, dropped his weapon and submitted, or is incapacitated and on the ground. You can't know which until it happens.

Back to the non-penetrating headshot stopping the fight – well it might; but would you bet your life on it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top