JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys. I've been looking for a book on Washington state (would also like Oregon and Idaho if available) that provides info on backcountry trails. Originally from California, my two favorite books were Sierra North (here), and Sierra South (here). These books provided detailed information on backcountry hikes and proved invaluable trip planning tools. They had permit instructions, suggestions of when to go, directions to the trialhead, description of the hike with pictures, campsite suggestions, and maybe most important, elevation profiles for the whole hike. Cool, I know :D.

Does anybody know of similar books for the Northwest? What do you guys rely on?

A favorite of mine is a book called "100 Classic Hikes in Oregon" by Douglas Lorain. You get the feeling while reading the preface that the guy is a bit of a hippy, but the info in the book is very good. It covers good day hikes and extended backpacking trip locations all over Oregon, with detailed information and maps for each.

Ive also found that going to Ranger Stations for the area you want is an excellent place to find maps, info, and these kinds of books. I got the book I told you about above from the Zig Zag Ranger Station on Hwy 26 near Mt. Hood.

The Sullivan series is by far the best. He has been doing outdoor writing for many years, he does the research himself and his books are easy to use. They are also more likely to be accurate.

Not to say that others are not worthwhile, but all of his many books are.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top