JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for references to reputable gunsmith in the Washington County area for some what should be simple work done on my Ruger PR 6.5 CM. Current 1st time used gunsmith seems to be having issues and isn't reliably responsive (promised complete in 1 week, has had rifle for 3 weeks now and still not done). Would do the work myself, but I do not have all the needed tooling, so want to defer the work to a professional. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Two questions.

Who is the gunsmith that promised 1 week turn around?

What is it your are looking to have done?

My ONLY recommendation is Tim Copeland of Copeland Gunworks. He is based in Estacada. Yes it's a long drive from where you are, I know as I'm even further away! Tim is not a 1 week turn around. He will likely give you a realistic turn around if needed. He is pretty good at staying in touch with you. His work is the best in our area hands down.

Two questions.

My ONLY recommendation is Tim Copeland of Copeland Gunworks. He is based in Estacada. Yes it's a long drive from where you are, I know as I'm even further away! Tim is not a 1 week turn around. He will likely give you a realistic turn around if needed. He is pretty good at staying in touch with you. His work is the best in our area hand

Two questions.

My ONLY recommendation is Tim Copeland of Copeland Gunworks. He is based in Estacada. Yes it's a long drive from where you are, I know as I'm even further away! Tim is not a 1 week turn around. He will likely give you a realistic turn around if needed. He is pretty good at staying in touch with you. His work is the best in our area hands down.
I don't want to call the shop out by name at this time, but it's a local shop that has been around for a very long time with a great reputation, but is now under new ownership.

The work is what should be a simple handguard upgrade, but I was not able to get the locknut freed (owners manual says 35-50-ft/lbs torque). Without having the proper tooling to secure the rifle while trying to break the nut free, I was worried about unnecessary damage, so decided to leave it to an experienced person that's properly equipped. He said its' a simple job and should only be about 1 week, and that was 3 weeks ago. Apparently he broke a spanner wrench trying the break the nut free, ordered a new one, and was supposed to give me an update last Friday...no updates as of yet.

I inquired with Ruger on the issue and all I got back was "send us the rifle (4-6 week turn-around time + shipping costs) so we can look to see what's wrong". Oh yeah, and if rifle is outfitted with aftermarket components, we may put the rifle back to factory specification before returning the firearm.

Anyways, enough of my ranting...I'm just looking for an experienced gunsmith, maybe even one that is experienced with this issue and can get the job done in a timely manner, and has good customer service skills.

You're welcome to stop by my shop. I don't consider myself a gunsmith, but I have many of the necessary tools and skills to work on a wide range of rifles. Send me a PM if you'd like.

Those nuts are tight! So I don't doubt they broke a spanner. Heat is your friend on that project.
Getting new parts is a huge pain right now. Some are out of stock for months.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top