JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have any fancy flashlights. Mostly Maglites, but very many around the house for emergencies. I have from two D cell to five D cell, I like having the long heavy ones that are like clubs for going outside at night. I have one three C cell if I want something lighter. Most are old bulb type, but a couple are newer LED which I like a lot.

Years ago, I had three Kel-Lites, those were the precursor to Mag-lite. Would you believe there are flash light collectors, the Kel-Lites became very valuable to these people so mine went to some of them.

I've got a few of those little plasticky LED things from Harbor Freight. About the size of a cigarette pack, they have two beam choices, one focused, the other diffuse. I like those for a work light in crawl spaces, etc. Much smaller, cheaper and more maneuverable than the old, heavy 6 volt lantern types ("Big Jim", etc) that I used to use.

On TV recently, I saw some multi-function flashlight advertised. I'm always skeptical of TV ad stuff. But this looked interesting, it even had a sparking fire starter feature. I failed to note the brand name, but if I see the ad again, I'm gonna write it down so I can check online about it. Probably some made in China POS but it looked interesting. As TV ad crap can to the feeble-minded.

That's a great article.

Some of the group get together and classes last year had a low light element optional, where students came out after hours and we went over different lights that they brought compared to what I and others use.

Was a great eye opener for a lot of people...especially the part about trying to ID people at 35 yards and in. A lot of lights failed to be able to do this. The upper end lights did way better than others with the same or close to specs.

What works inside, gets swallowed up by darkness outside.

Pro Tip Not Mentioned In The Article:

There are a ton of weapon lights on the market these days and more being added all the time. It's nice to have options. However, what isn't catching up...and may never catch up...are holsters. If a holster maker does make a holster for a weapon mounted light, you can usually count on them making it for Surefire and Streamlight. After that it can be pretty hit and miss...and particularly if you're trying to mount a lesser popular light on a lesser popular gun.

So before you plunk down your hard earned $$ on that great deal of a new model weapon light, make sure you can find someone who makes a holster to fit it. In the end the money you save may not be worth the hassle of trying to find a holster to accommodate it. YMMV. :)

Wowtac or Atac are 20 bucks and fantastic. Lots of YouTube videos on them.

Rugged, reliable, bright, good controls, rechargeable. Ive bought about 3 regular and a headlamp. Used over a year. Love them.

I really appreciate saving money on the excellent rechargeable batteries.

I grew really tirdd of wasting expensive specialized batteries, throwing them out at halflife.

For the money very hard to beat.

So I had a couple give up the ghost and I can't find another, so I need to replace flashlights. I've found this is an area in which you get what you pay for. What is your go to make model for flashlights circa 2020? Thanks. :)
I bought several of the coast brand pocket lights at work. 20 bucks a pop, 500 lumens, iirc. Good light, and I'm not crying if it gets lost.
Otherwise, keep an eye on Goodwill, there are some older flashlights that utilize headlight bulbs and wiring harnesses, so if you had to, you could cannibalize something from a broken down vehicle. I'll try to get a pic of one of mine later.

I picked up a Coastal HP8R rechargeable light last year at the sportsman's show. After charging it and using it A LOT I've been nothing short of impressed. Hiking in caves last summer with some friends that had Streamlights and Surefires they were utterly impressed with the beam and brightness. They both wanted to trade me for it, LOL. I'm sure they spent more money but side by side by side, they sure did not get more.

I've been eyeballing that Streamlight Protac 90. I like the idea of being able to use the CR123 battery plus, if I'm out somewhere and cannot get them, I can use a single alkaline battery. Might just pull the trigger on one!:)

So, I've been checking out different options and weighing out my needs since last night. For everyday carry/use, I decided to go with the Fenix LD22 with charger and 4 rechargeable AA Ni-Mh batteries. Should encompass all my needs foreseen and unforeseen.:D

fenix-ld22-4-001[1].jpg

I agree with Reno on having a bunch of cheap lights scattered around.... but if I had only one light to rely on Ive had great luck with the Fenix brand. I own two of them and they will outlive me and super bright. I recommend a USB rechargeable one now as I hate replacing batteries.

We have 3 or 4 of these in every room in the house and all outbuildings:
flashlight.jpg
And yes, we have "good" flashlights when needed as well.

I just got a couple of these to replace failed Costco 200 / 250 / 300 lumin ones.

Thrunite
I also have Fenix Announcement - The 2018 NWFA Fall Fundraiser Begins Now!

These will run a pair of CR123a or 1 18650

I like the "firefly" setting - on off end cap, press firm to change brightness on the side.

A bit big for the front pocket of pants, I put them in the car.

I have changed the order of the makes of lights that I prefer, based on breaking 2 Streamlights at SHOT show.

Stopped by the Fenix booth, met the owner, and tried out what I think might be the next generation of light batteries...the 21700.

A bit larger than the 18650, but the run times are phenomenal. Almost 6 hrs at 1,000 lumens. They are sending me a PD36R to look over. I tried it at SHOT, but couldn't get a good feel for the beam , too much light inside the convention center.

Anyone got one? If not, stand by for test results. Challenged them to make a dedicated weapon light with pressure switch. One that mounts directly, without using rings.

I have changed the order of the makes of lights that I prefer, based on breaking 2 Streamlights at SHOT show.

Stopped by the Fenix booth, met the owner, and tried out what I think might be the next generation of light batteries...the 21700.

A bit larger than the 18650, but the run times are phenomenal. Almost 6 hrs at 1,000 lumens. They are sending me a PD36R to look over. I tried it at SHOT, but couldn't get a good feel for the beam , too much light inside the convention center.

Anyone got one? If not, stand by for test results. Challenged them to make a dedicated weapon light with pressure switch. One that mounts directly, without using rings.

6 hours at 1000 lumens? Doubtful. Did you ask them how long it will make a grand until it ramps down due to heat. All lights I've seen in the 1000 range do this. If they figured out a way to get an actual 1000 for 6 hours they are on the cutting edge of light tech.

The light is rated for 1,600 lumens.

Yes, 6 straight hours and you won't be able to hold it.

Check the specs on their website.

I'll be testing not only the beam pattern, but the advertised run times as well.

The 21700 is rated at 5 amps. I'll run it through an amp meter to check the draw as I test run times.

My LD22, charger and batteries all came in today. I'm well pleased with it for an everyday carry light. Will suffice for my needs anyway.

We are big fans of Fenix lights and have three "35"'s that run on CR123's. Not sure of the full designations but I have one in my purse for multiple purposes. We also have Fenix headlamps. Not sure which ones. Mine is re-chargable. His is AAA batteries. We gave a high-end Fenix headlamp to our son that he uses on the job. Not sure of all the lumen designations but these flashlights are very bright and dependable. We also have some super-bright D-cell and C-cell lights we got at Costco that are VERY powerful and bright. We use them when we have to attend unexpected outdoor chores. (re-start the pump on the well; chase neighbor's cows out of the front; investigate unusual noises or visitors parking down at the end of the road). We also have some of those little free Harbor freight AAA cell lights scattered around for multiple purposes. When the wind comes up and the lights go out there is always one handy. Will be interested in outcome of testing done by Cerberus.

I picked up a rechargable 1,000 lumen flashlite for $27 at the local Ace. The best thing about it is the strobe position. I have it on the stand next to my bed. In the dark it will literally blind the person looking at it, which gives me time to get out of bed and achieve a better self defense position.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top