JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hello,

I tried searching for forums that already discussed body armor and have found none.

So, I'm in the market for a level 3A (pistol caliber) and level 3-4 (rifle calibers) plate armor/carriers and would like to know if anyone here has recommendations.

My thoughts: I would like to buy a cheap level 3A set (found one on boa for $180) for just in case normal wear/ wear for another team member. I have also noticed boa and ar500 stocking level 3-4 armor sets for 250+.

I'm on a limited budget (180-300 for level 3a and $200-$350 for level 3-4)

Any useful knowledge and or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

*Ceramic is good and light weight.
Only good for 3-5 Large rifle rounds.7.62 Nato-30-06 AP
(Medium weight) 8-12 pounds per plate
***** $150-300 per plate*****

*Ar500 coated with bed liner 1/2 -2/3 inch thick
will take 50- 60 of the same rounds before you have to worry about spalling/Fragments.
(Heavy as hell) 15 + pounds per plate
*****Cheap $100-200 per set****

* Composite plastic type plate that are light weight, float and will take the 30-06 Ap rounds as long as you are willing to stand there and take the hit.
*******4-5 pounds per plate ********* Your gonna pay for them

Jeff sell's the New LW Floating style plates and can hook you up with a entire set up if you need it.

I'am not affiliated to/with or paid by Jeff for any reason.
Just putting out the best info I have about this at this time.

*Ceramic is good and light weight.
Only good for 3-5 Large rifle rounds.7.62 Nato-30-06 AP
(Medium weight) 8-12 pounds per plate
***** $150-300 per plate*****

*Ar500 coated with bed liner 1/2 -2/3 inch thick
will take 50- 60 of the same rounds before you have to worry about spalling/Fragments.
(Heavy as hell) 15 + pounds per plate
*****Cheap $100-200 per set****

* Composite plastic type plate that are light weight, float and will take the 30-06 Ap rounds as long as you are willing to stand there and take the hit.
*******4-5 pounds per plate ********* Your gonna pay for them

Jeff sell's the New LW Floating style plates and can hook you up with a entire set up if you need it.

I'am not affiliated to/with or paid by Jeff for any reason.
Just putting out the best info I have about this at this time.

Jeff Meining (President)
www.Bulletproof-it.com
360-991-5365
BULLETPROOF IT, LLC

Thank you. Do you know of any local dealers in the Portland area?

That is true statement above is true. You get what you pay for!

Hopefully you will never need the armor. If you do have to use it, you want it to work so do not go cheap! How much is your life worth? If you make the investment the first time you purchase, you will save more money in the long run by not always wanting to upgrade or have anything to upgrade to. Go composite!

both good points. I realized this when I typed my above statement.

However, some body armor is better than no body armor. At this time, full time student/ full time ONLY parent to a 4 year old, I have limited funds. This is why I would prefer to purchase a cheap set now and have it. I can then buy a better set when I am able to obtain a job that pays decently. I will then have the cheap set as a stand by to equip a potential teammate. I do not see this as a bad idea. I do not live in the fantasy that my house will someday be a FOB. I'm also not expecting to go on multi day patrols with said armor either. If the carrier pulls apart I am capable of repairing it. The plates, regardless of how much you pay, adhere to the same tests and are capable to their qualifications. Essentially, to my knowledge, a level 3 body armor is rated for the same caliber bullets as any priced level 3 body armor.

The mindset I have is "I would rather have cheap body armor than not have any at all".

by the way, how much is your life worth is a ridiculous question and I will regard that as a marketing scheme statement. My life is not worth any monetary value nor will it ever be. If you would like to discuss how to prepare for to be combat ready then we ought to discuss how well we can shoot, execute CQB, preform first aid, and fight. These things I feel comfortable doing and am equipped for. I could also assume the fact that I can run 32 miles with a backpack slung around me and swim for several miles might make up for the fact that I'm not able afford the best body armor someone can buy.

That being said, can you respond with helpful information regarding my initial post? I would like to go composite someday but that is out of my price range at the moment unless we're talking 3A armor.

All kitted up ready for Friday night at The Oregon Way.

jeff%20in%20the%20stan_zpstikmcsxc.jpg

both good points. I realized this when I typed my above statement.

However, some body armor is better than no body armor. At this time, full time student/ full time ONLY parent to a 4 year old, I have limited funds. This is why I would prefer to purchase a cheap set now and have it. I can then buy a better set when I am able to obtain a job that pays decently. I will then have the cheap set as a stand by to equip a potential teammate. I do not see this as a bad idea. I do not live in the fantasy that my house will someday be a FOB. I'm also not expecting to go on multi day patrols with said armor either. If the carrier pulls apart I am capable of repairing it. The plates, regardless of how much you pay, adhere to the same tests and are capable to their qualifications. Essentially, to my knowledge, a level 3 body armor is rated for the same caliber bullets as any priced level 3 body armor.

The mindset I have is "I would rather have cheap body armor than not have any at all".

by the way, how much is your life worth is a ridiculous question and I will regard that as a marketing scheme statement. My life is not worth any monetary value nor will it ever be. If you would like to discuss how to prepare for to be combat ready then we ought to discuss how well we can shoot, execute CQB, preform first aid, and fight. These things I feel comfortable doing and am equipped for. I could also assume the fact that I can run 32 miles with a backpack slung around me and swim for several miles might make up for the fact that I'm not able afford the best body armor someone can buy.

That being said, can you respond with helpful information regarding my initial post? I would like to go composite someday but that is out of my price range at the moment unless we're talking 3A armor.

How many Russians had $6 Nagant's????

My life is not worth any monetary value nor will it ever be.

No offense, but you are a single parent to a four year old, your life is worth much more than you think it is on paper. I'm not a single parent, and I carry $400k in life insurance.

If you are putting your life in a situation where you think you need body armor, you may want to reconsider your life's value. Just my $0.02.

No offense, but you are a single parent to a four year old, your life is worth much more than you think it is on paper. I'm not a single parent, and I carry $400k in life insurance.

If you are putting your life in a situation where you think you need body armor, you may want to reconsider your life's value. Just my $0.02.

Good point :) still asking the same question.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top