JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got my first AR. It's a LWRC M6IC. I need optics for it and I know little about scopes. I do know good glass makes a huge difference, but as far as scopes and what will suit my needs, I know very little. I know an entry scope will be just that..and won't waste my money there. I am looking for a good mid-grade scope. Most likely with ability to work close to a decent distance. I don't think I am going to be going beyond 300Y any time soon being as I am new with this and my areas to do it are pretty limited.

Thanks for any advice and information. I do hear the Nikon M-223 is a good choice. Any thoughts on that?

Last Edited:
The M-223 has a great reputation and I don't think you would be sorry later. My preference would be something with less magnification since you will be shooting close as well as 300 yards. I'd take a close look at scopes in the 2x7, 1x4 or 1x6 range - they will do everything you need and be better at close range.

As for manufacturers, Nikon is always competent also consider Vortex and Leupold. Also, every manufacturer has scopes at different quality levels and price points. I really like the Leupold scopes that have the fire dot feature. Primary Arms makes a great inexpensive 1x6 that has an illuminated scope and excellent ranging reticle.

Regardless of scope I really like the Nikon single piece mounts - light weight and not over priced.

Enjoy that new AR!

After looking for a while I just bought a SWFA SS HD 1-6x24. I really love it and although I've only used it out to 100 yards, I had no problem hitting targets at 50-100 yards on 1 power. I plan to go out to 300-400 yards.

Given how many options out there, I went through the features I wanted and narrowed it down to the SWFA SS HD 1-6x24, Leupold Mark 4/6, or Schmidt and Bender 1-8x24 Short Dot. I went with the option that was less than half the price of the others that provided the most value and covered all of the options I wanted. The only "nice" thing on my list would have been a daylight bright reticle. The S&B short dot with the dot in the 2nd focal plane is pretty cool, but not worth the price just for that one additional feature. I also really like the SWFA reticle.

What magnification are you looking for? (I went with a true one power, 1.0-6)
Front focal plane or Second? (I went with FFP)
Do you want illumination? Does it need to be daylight bright? (I wanted illumination, not necessarily daylight bright)
What reticle are you looking for? Do you want something with a BDC (Bullet drop compensator) (I went with MRAD/Mils/Milliradian crosshairs. I don't like the look of Horseshoe/Chevron reticles)
What do you want for turrets? Minutes of Angle, Inches per hundred yards, Milliradians? (I went with Mils to match my reticle)

Knowing a budget helps a lot with recommendations.

But for the money a 1-6 SWFA HD is a great scope. Pricey but you can check their samplelist for one. Its what I have on my LWRC upper and love it.

A Vortex Viper PST 1-4 is also good for the price, though never had one. But Vortex is a good company.

I'd always match reticle to turret. If you have mil turrets, get a mil reticle or Moa/Moa. Some scopes will have both and thats more confusing than needed.

A scope is just a sight. If you think of it as a sight, even 4x will seem better than irons. Field of view at low power is more valuable on a non-designated marksman tactical rifle.

Thanks for the replies thus far. As for price point, I'd like to keep below $500 and only up to that price if I truly need to. I'd really like to stay about $350 or below for now. As I did say, I don't know much about scopes or the options or needs on them and have some serious homework to do. You folks are reminding me how much I have to learn. :)

A scope that I would buy again, without hesitation, is the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 in MIL/MIL flavor. Very good 1X and reticle for close hosing and I've shot clean steel stages out to 450 yards with it. I almost always shoot under MOA groups at 200 yards with mine. It's also a very easy scope to buy used as the Vortex warranty is awesome. If you want a little more magnification, and don't mind slightly lesser glass, take a good look at the Vortex Strike Eagle. It's no slouch either. Bought one for my daughter's AR. Both are available for less than $500 from shops like Optics Planet. The 1-4x24 scopes also regularly sell on ebay or in sales forums used in the $400 range.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MRAD)<br />Tactical

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 1-4x24 TMCQ (MRAD)<br />Tactical

Last Edited:
I consider the 1x4 to not have enough magnification for longer ranges unless shooting large targets. the 1x6 for a Ar is probably the best option . PA does offer some good values and their scopes are pretty good but for their prices something has to give and most of their scopes only carry a 3 year warranty where has a leupold or vortex or bushnell and many other carry a lifetime . My personal favorite are trijicon products however very very speendy I only own 2 if I could afford them I would have more. even with the trillium fiber optics they don't cut corners on glass some of the sharpest brightest on the market. As a hunter it literally buys me a extra hour of hunting a day between AM and PM compared to budget scopes. The bushnell elite series are my second favorite because they have rain guard with you being in Cali rain may not be as a big of an issue but here it is .

I would think that pretty much all $500 range scopes are going to have the same quality of glass for the most part some better because they use Chinese labor to afford better quality glass where as US company may have to put more into labor and cut either have to charge a little more for the higher level of glass.

I have owned a vortex 1x4 and I must say the glass was outstanding I think I spent just over $500 for it I got it when they first came out. but Like I said earlier 4x is just not enough for smaller targets at longer ranges.

I have owned Leupolds in the past the VX3 and looked though VX2s and must say leupolds are great scopes . The scope on my want list now is the mentioned leupold with firedot. I do like having the dot in the center seems to put me on target faster for faster shooting plus I shoot when shooting one of my left handed rifles with both eyes open so even at 3x it doubles as a 1x red dot which is also why I have moved away from 1x4s

I have a Nikon M-223 4-16x42 sitting atop a Ruger SR-556. I like it quite a bit but the real selling feature for me was that it works well with the Nikon Spot-On ballistic program that they provide for free. PC, smartphone or iPad/Tablet versions all work.

Select your scope from the list, enter your details (scope height, bullet/load info, distance to target, wind, etc.) and it will provide you with a range chart for your specific shooting solution. You can print the card and throw it in a range bag for future use or do it live while you're at the range. They offer a wind gauge that plugs into the headset jack on a smartphone that acts as a wind meter input. Save your various loads in the program and you have a library for your specific rifle.

If I had it to do over again I would opt for the lower magnification option as the 4-16 is more than I need. The M-223 is at the top end of your price range and none of the other stuff I mentioned may be of any use to you but it's another data point to consider. Spot-On (as well as many other ballistic programs) work just fine with other scopes as well.

Enjoy the new rifle and good luck with your search.

Another Fan of the Nikon 223 but I just added a Redfield 4x12x40 to the mix and I am impressed with it's clarity and adjustment consistency! It's with in your budget too! I have also used UTG scopes and I really like the BugBlaster for my carry handle AR!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top