JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...and that's the drawback. No. I've been trying to find the RCBS tool that does all in one swipe, but can't locate one. When I find one, I worry about it not being able to hold setting at higher rotation speeds.

I have the trimmer head (carbide cutter) attached to the drill. With the added weight of the RCBS trimmer (incorporating all three cutting angles) spinning at 2 or 300 rpm's, I worry it will spin awkwardly. Maybe not.

A fricken "LATHE"?! Ooo, cool!

Careful. A lathe has no mercy.

"World's Cheapest Trimmer":

I bought one each in .223 and .308, they work well. I chuck it in a bench top drill press to do the work. It only cuts on one facet; I need to chamfer and deburr as separate functions. Also in the drill press. So three passes but it goes pretty quickly and you don't have much investment in equipment. So long as you already have a drill press. You could use a cordless or corded drill clamped in a vise to achieve the same thing. The idea is to free up both hands for the work instead of using one to hold onto a tool.

These work great. I use it for 223.

Another vote for a Giraud - I have a Tri Way and it's nice -- trim, chamfer , deburr

img-2048_orig.jpg

I'm hunting for one of these now
Call them up and get on the list, $105 + shipping I think, they make them on the weekends and ship them Sunday/Monday. I had mine in less than a week, I was using the Lee Quick Trim before. I hope to not do that again.

Call them up and get on the list, $105 + shipping I think, they make them on the weekends and ship them Sunday/Monday. I had mine in less than a week, I was using the Lee Quick Trim before. I hope to not do that again.
Ok so that's how it's done. I was trying to figure out where to order. Thank you

If you are loading for volume (lots of rounds not intended for precision or hunting) then I would recommend getting a go/no-go case length-gauge. I have a Lyman one like this.

Any case that fits in the appropriate cut-out I do not bother trimming. This significantly cuts down the amount of trimming necessary and ensures that I am only cutting down brass that has truly stretched out of spec. So far I have had no issues related to this methodology when loading a large volume of ammunition.

I use dial calipers for that task. Easy peasy.;)

The depth is established by the caseholder.

The pin on the end of the stud makes contact with the caseholder base when the case is trimmed to length.

Same scenario just the cutter is in my lathe as opposed to the drill/driver.
View attachment 812064
Some sort of 'handle' for the caseholder really helps as well. This was just a 'quickie' I made a while back. View attachment 812113
You should market that handle for the lee caseholder.

The depth is established by the caseholder.

The pin on the end of the stud makes contact with the caseholder base when the case is trimmed to length.

Same scenario just the cutter is in my lathe as opposed to the drill/driver.
View attachment 812064
Some sort of 'handle' for the caseholder really helps as well. This was just a 'quickie' I made a while back. View attachment 812113
Would it work to chuck both the cutter and the caseholder in separate drills?

Would it work to chuck both the cutter and the caseholder in separate drills?
Well, not really as the case you wanted to trim would be in the case holder chucked up in a separate drill and this wouldn't be too convenient for feeding the case onto the cutter. (unless I am missing something)

You should market that handle for the lee caseholder.
Hey thanks for the idea but this one was just a simple quickee I made on my lathe.

I have a different style in mind I might make that might be more practical and easier to use, and who knows? might have a few 'takers' !

I think the idea of buying the newer Forster is great, since you've already got the power adapter. I've done the same and I leave a battery drive drill on my loading bench just for this purpose. I love how much faster and easier it is, plus I can use the drill for other things.
I considered a self powered trimmer, but I'd rather use my drill and have it for other projects too.

I considered a self powered trimmer, but I'd rather use my drill and have it for other projects too.
I have considered a simple 'base' to support a drill/driver and a device to attach to the trigger to allow it to stay running and set it at a lower speed.

Keeping the cutter running is a big part of the convenience and speed of trimming cases. When I use my lathe this is easy of course as it stays running and it is hands off.

So, just to get this all straight. I can trim easily 12 cases per minute. I do have to go back through and Deburr and chamfer them. I use a power drill for that also.I also use a power drill to cut out the military cramp. Are you guys telling me you have a faster way than this? Specifically how many cases a minute are you able to trim?

I do have to go back through and Deburr and chamfer them.
I can understand 12 per minute just trimming but if you have to 'go back' to do this then that 12 per minute goes down in number.

I don't think anyone is in a 'race' here on how fast they can trim - but more a case of ease and convenience.

WIth my cutter on my lathe running non stop I have timed myself at about 10-12 seconds per case - including chamfer and deburring - and I am not working 'crazily' at it.

The 'World's FInest Trimmer' looks like a good device but at $95 for your first caliber (tool & chamber) and then $25 per for subsequent 'chambers' for other calibers is a bit steep.

Heck I don't have $30 in my Lee for all calibers I trim.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top