JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for recommendations for a Jiu Jitsu gym in the Portland/Beaverton/Tigard area. I'm fairly new to the sport and what to get into a good gym. I want to gain some more knowledge and further my skills in grappling/fighting/hand to hand.

I can never have too many tools to use to deescalate or neutralize a situation without having to go straight to deadly force.

Any opinions on gyms to check out or avoid is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last Edited:
I train at 5 Rings and love it. I also know several people that train at Impact, and they love it also.
The schedule at 5 rings works much better for me, and there's a shower, so I can go for the morning class and head straight to work.

The schedule at Impact does not work for me nearly as well, and I don't think they have showers (at least not at the Hillsboro one). I wish it did, because they also offer striking classes and mma/ kickboxing sparring, while 5 rings is strictly BJJ.

I recommend taking advantage of the free trials, to see which you like better.

I think SBG is probably most in line with my interests (self defense), but they are too far away from me to be practical

I train at 5 Rings and love it. I also know several people that train at Impact, and they love it also.
The schedule at 5 rings works much better for me, and there's a shower, so I can go for the morning class and head straight to work.

The schedule at Impact does not work for me nearly as well, and I don't think they have showers (at least not at the Hillsboro one). I wish it did, because they also offer striking classes and mma/ kickboxing sparring, while 5 rings is strictly BJJ.

I recommend taking advantage of the free trials, to see which you like better.

I think SBG is probably most in line with my interests (self defense), but they are too far away from me to be practical
I was gunna do SBG but it's too much of a drive. I got a few free sessions at a couple gyms closer to my location. One is an impact gym in Sherwood and tomorrow I'm trying out a Gracie gym in Tigard.

Like you I need to find something that works with my work schedule. I'm also not looking to get heavy into competitions etc. I just wanna have an edge in hand to hand conflicts when the situations arise.

A gun isn't the tool for every job.

Any plans on taking the Bill Rapier class in May?
I'm planning on it. Just gotta figure out lodging and gotta buy a Glock (non firing pistol). Other than that I have everything on the gear list.

I'm planning on it. Just gotta figure out lodging and gotta buy a Glock (non firing pistol). Other than that I have everything on the gear list.
I'm glad you mentioned that, I missed. I'm not 100% yet but I'm trying, it is one I want to make. As far as lodging goes, you could always camp on site or Steve has a couple motels linked on his web page.

I train at Impact in Hillsboro been there 6ish years. I'm surprised Nocaster couldn't make the hours there work. Adult classes they offer a few days a week 6am every day 11-1 and 6-8 in the evenings. Then Sat. noon open mat and Sunday early rollers 8-10 open mat. I've done them all at one point or another and they have decent turn outs with evenings being the largest classes. But anywhere you train is better then sitting on the couch! OSS 🤙🏽

Last Edited:
I havent been there, but was browsing once for Muai Thai gyms and found this one seems to be pro gun...

I train at Impact in Hillsboro been there 6ish years. I'm surprised Nocaster couldn't make the hours her work. Adult classes they offer a few days a week 6am every day 11-1 and 6-8 in the evenings. Then say noon open mat and Sunday early rollers 8-10 open mat. I've done them all at one point or another and they have decent turn outs with evenings being the largest classes. But anywhere you train is better then sitting on the couch! OSS 🤙🏽
I was talking about the Beaverton one. The Hillsboro one is out of the way for me with work and stuff

Went for a trial tonight. I'll definitely be continuing. Talk about a work out. And a great skill set. Can't wait to learn more.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top