JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have used several different ones, I settled on the RCBS handpriming tool, not the "universal" one, but the one that takes the individual shell holders. Sorry about all the comma's in that sentence!

The original Lee Auto Prime is fantastic. The "new and improved" Lee Auto Prime XR is a miserable POS. There are plenty of the older units on the used market.

The old good one looks like this with a round tray and flat hand lever:

The new bad one looks like this with a square tray and curved hand lever:
LeeAutoPrime-XR-HandTool.jpg

Yes the new XR one is a POS !
Doesn't feed primers to the ram that well, often flips them on the feed ramp- I realized last night that I had developed all kinds of techniques to accommodate the shortcomings of the tool. But what finally pissed me off is that the shell-holder won't hold the 338LM case well. Out of 50 I probably chewed the base of 10.

I have only used the 'original' Lee Auto-Prime and it seems to work pretty good - but then I have nothing to compare it to but the RCBS tool looks a little better. My Lee was given to me used and while in good condition it still sometimes jams a primer and I have to pull the case and shell holder BUT I think most of it is due to me operating it too fast. I have slowed down a little and it works much better

I had 3 old lee auto primers.. all the zinc P@$ broke in short order

Go RCBS, the small bench mount type..sturdy, compact and easy to use

I use and like the RCBS hand priming tool. (not the universal one, the one that takes shell holders) I have used the Hornady one as well, but i dont really like the ergonomics of that tool.

I have an RCBS for production work. Works great and is fast, but lacks the feel for precision reloading. For accuracy loads I use a Sinclair model. Top notch piece of equipment. You have to manually load one primer at a time into it, but the feel is amazing. It is also adjustable so seating depth of each primer is exact. If used in conjuction with a primer pocket uniforming tool you can get 100% seating consistency with your primers.

Bought the RCBS (non universal) one at BiMart. I like the thought of the shell holders. Picked up another 338LM shell holder while there.
BiMart is more expensive than buying it online, but they're one of the few box stores (albeit local) who still provide a good choice of supplies for my hobby at (usually) reasonable prices.

I replaced my old Lee with an XR and what a joke. Finally got a Hornady. Like the design of he Hornady and the fact that ONE tray will handle large and small primers. This means I only have one part to misplace, the punch for the primer size I'm not using. I just duct tape the extra to the bottom of the tray when not in use.

The Hornady priming tool, for some dumb reason, has a radius'd head on the punch. Causes primers to be somewhat inverted when seating. I took the punch out, ground it flat, just like the Lee, Sinclair, Century 21, etc. Had to adjust the height of the punch after doing so but all it took was a drop of acetone on the adjustable stop screw under the punch, to break the bond of the loctite, and adjust so it seats the primers to the exact depth I want. Like the ability to "squeeze" the handle with my full hand rather than have to push with my thumb. A priming tool built strong and for around $30 compared to those from Century 21 at a lot more.

Gave the RCBS a test spin last night. Primed 5 cases in the time it would take me to do _one_ with the Lee XR.
Zero feed problems, centered fit every time, didn't need to rotate the case to get it to go in square.

Only one positive I can say for the Lee XR: if you need to work on hand strength, it's your huckleberry...
BUT: if you have big hands, fergettaboutit - it will improve your finger strength.

In that way, it's kinda like a Glock - don't care for the grip angle, but but hate them because I don't like 2 fingers hanging off the bottom of the gun. But Glocks have superb quality and never misfeed unless you're limp-wristing it.

My RCBS is the shell holder type.. I love it and have it mounted on the corner of my computer desk, which is an old schoolteacher's steel desk, very heavy and sturdy.. that way I can prime while listening to audios, etc

Gave the RCBS a test spin last night. Primed 5 cases in the time it would take me to do _one_ with the Lee XR.
Zero feed problems, centered fit every time, didn't need to rotate the case to get it to go in square.

Only one positive I can say for the Lee XR: if you need to work on hand strength, it's your huckleberry...
BUT: if you have big hands, fergettaboutit - it will improve your finger strength.

In that way, it's kinda like a Glock - don't care for the grip angle, but but hate them because I don't like 2 fingers hanging off the bottom of the gun. But Glocks have superb quality and never misfeed unless you're limp-wristing it.

Another note on the Lee XR, it will "invert" primers in the "elevator stage" and you won't notice it until you inspect the case. Also, all too easy for primers to get between the cover and the tray at the "dam" they installed so primes only get fed from one side. The tray doesn't lock down like the old Lee priming tool or others, for that matter.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top