JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am planning on my next purchase being a single action revolver. I know little to nothing about them but was leaning toward a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag. Can somebody give me some advice on brand, model, and caliber choice. I don't want to break the bank either. Set a max price at $1K.

I am planning on my next purchase being a single action revolver. I know little to nothing about them but was leaning toward a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag. Can somebody give me some advice on brand, model, and caliber choice. I don't want to break the bank either. Set a max price at $1K.

First question, as always, What is the expected use for the tool? When you look at what you need it to do, (how often shot, how many shots per outing, how powerful, how accurate, what distance, what target, what if any carry, etc.) then a short list builds itself.

As an example; the pistol will be shot at paper targets less than 50 yards, it will serve as protection (to black bear level) when it is carried while on hikes in the woods, at least one box of target ammo per month and one box of full strength ammo per year will be used. Necessary accuracy is 'soda can' to 50yds. The pistol is for shooting not presentation.
Based on that scenario, I would advise the Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag with 5 1/2" or 4 5/8" barrel in stainless steel.
The Ruger is solid, has a transfer bar safety so 6 cartridges can safely be carried, adj sights, etc.

If this is for cowboy shooting then it breaks a different direction entirely. The traditional cowboy gun can only carry 5 rounds safely as the hammer rests directly over a live round and a sharp accidental tap could fire the weapon. This got Ruger sued 30'some years ago and directly led to the transfer bar safety in those pistols.

You sould see if you can get some trigger time on a borrowed gun before proceeding too far, many shooters new to the SA revolvers find they do not like the grips on various SA pistols. The short Buckhorn grip found on the Blackhawks will tend to let the pistol rotate up on firing.

If your after a 44mag, I highly recommend a Ruger Super Blackhawk. New Model. While your out looking, try to get your hands on a "Bisley" model & see if you like that grip. the only thing I don't like about the "super" is the squared off trigger guard on the longer bbl guns. But that is easy to fix with a good set of grips.

CJ1089 is exactly correct. First, identify your intended use. A 44 mag is a lot of gun. Expensive rounds, unless you reload, hefty recoil and loud muzzle blast. I have a SBH stainless 5.5 inch. I reload 240 grain bullets at near max loads. The FIRST thing I did after shooting a cylinder full was to order Hogue grips. It is a beast without them...but with them I routinely fire mag loads one handed and hit steel plates at 10 yards consistently. I have a problem with bears here in southern Oregon, so that is my rationale. It is not the gun I shoot the most, but it sure is a hoot!

Another vote for defining your purpose. A .44 Magnum Ruger may be the VERY best gun for your purpose, or the extreme worst.

I will say a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk is a gun that is not conducive to an extremely wide range of uses as other guns/calibers might be. This is not to say it is not versatile (within its intended range of purposes), but its intended range of purposes is a bit narrower than say, even a standard Blackhawk in .357.

I will also say that the number of people who claim to be able to shoot a .44 Magnum (full power loads) with consistent skill far exceeds the number of those who actually can demonstrate it when called upon to do so. It may be the absolute worst choice of caliber for which to learn skillfull and accurate revolver shooting. A novice who chooses this caliber first may well ruin all chances in his life to become a good revolver shot, when beginning with a milder choice might have cultivated his skill to achieve perfection.

For the already accomplished and skilled revolver shooter whose NEEDS dictate he must have the most powerful (practical) revolver in the world, there is no better single action choice than the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

I've got the Ruger Blackhawk .357. I really like being able to shoot .38 all day long out of it but still have the ability to fire off a few .357 and even some Magnum loads. I am not the magnum all day guy anymore. Your welcome to give it a try.
Mike

Another vote for defining your purpose. A .44 Magnum Ruger may be the VERY best gun for your purpose, or the extreme worst.

I will say a .44 Magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk is a gun that is not conducive to an extremely wide range of uses as other guns/calibers might be. This is not to say it is not versatile (within its intended range of purposes), but its intended range of purposes is a bit narrower than say, even a standard Blackhawk in .357.

I will also say that the number of people who claim to be able to shoot a .44 Magnum (full power loads) with consistent skill far exceeds the number of those who actually can demonstrate it when called upon to do so. It may be the absolute worst choice of caliber for which to learn skillfull and accurate revolver shooting. A novice who chooses this caliber first may well ruin all chances in his life to become a good revolver shot, when beginning with a milder choice might have cultivated his skill to achieve perfection.

For the already accomplished and skilled revolver shooter whose NEEDS dictate he must have the most powerful (practical) revolver in the world, there is no better single action choice than the Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum.

that is some advice worth taking.

I can easily recommend the Ruger Blackhawk. My personal Blackhawk is a 4 5/8 barrel 45 combo. I can shoot 45 Colt or 45 ACP simply by changing the cylinder. 45ACP allows for cheaper shooting while I love the 45Colt for the occasional Buffalo Bore loads for some real "Ye haw!!!" shooting.

If you have any thought of any action shooting I recommend a 45 Colt. As a FYI 45 Long Colt is incorrect. it is 45 Colt.
the advantages are less rocoil, better muzzle control for speed firing, lower ammo cost. I recent fired one an it is on my short list. But then I have to get a lever gun to match.

"the advantages are less rocoil, better muzzle control for speed firing, lower ammo cost"

...and some would use precisely these criteria to make a better case for the .38/357 choice, while pointing out the disparity between .44 Magnum (with option for .44 Special usage) and .45 Colt using these criteria is a relatively finer line.

As to personal preferences (since more than a few here have speculated the OP's purpose might be toward a "cowboy" yearning), by my way of thinking, the only choice toward a more authentic "cowboy" revolver caliber would be .44-40. This is the "real McCoy" should the new Buckaroo decide later he wants a rifle or carbine in identical caliber (one embarking on strict adherence to caliber names might thereby choose to strictly adhere to what was originally available in the day).

Other authentic routes true to actual offerings of the Old West in a pistol/rifle combo would be .38-40, or .32-20. But the .44-40 (or .44 WCF) was THE caliber of wide choice when a waddie wanted his shoulder and hand hardware to digest the same food. Should he have chosen the .45 Colt for his sidearm, he'd later come up empty handed looking for a carbine or rifle able to chamber same.

If you have any thought of any action shooting I recommend a 45 Colt. As a FYI 45 Long Colt is incorrect. it is 45 Colt.
the advantages are less rocoil, better muzzle control for speed firing, lower ammo cost. I recent fired one an it is on my short list. But then I have to get a lever gun to match.

Most the cowboy action shooters are going 38/357.Very little recoil and reloading is real cheap for the 38.
All you care about is that it make a "ding" 20 feet away

45 colt is too expensive

+1 on the .38/.357 for cowboy action...faster back on target, less muzzle blast and recoil, and of course, less expensive to shoot. The .44 is certainly a purpose oriented weapon, as Spitpatch said it so well. It is perhaps the "sixth" or "seventh" handgun in the safe, and will never see the use my Bullseye .22 does.

Before the torches and pitchforks arrive at your driveway, JVR, I'll rephrase that for you regarding my own view of your well-considered opinion:

"I am mildly inconvenienced having to eject each and every piece of brass everytime I reload a venerable and rightly respected Colt's SAA. I much prefer the Schofield top break design.":s0155:

Ditto on this. Have you ever shot a .44 mag before? If NOT then find someone who has one and see of you can shoot it. About the only reason for a .44 mag is dedicated handgun hunting which takes more practice (and ammo) than most can comprehend to become even minimally proficient. I do like the balance of the Super Blackhawk and they can be real tackdrivers with good handloads BUT I do not care at all for the standard Blackhawk in .357. I believe the later model Blackhawk uses the same frame as the Super but does not have the same balance and feels 'odd' in my hand anyway. I really like the feel and balance of the New Model Vaquero and would own one if it came with adjustable sights. I used to do a lot of varmint hunting with handguns (and want to get back into it) and good, adjustable sights are a must. I too want a SA but I cannot find one that fills the bill for me. Caliber for me is a no brainier, .357 mag, but platform is the problem. Probably my ideal SA would be a Colt 'Frontier' model in .357 but out of my price range. As previously mentioned your needs may dictate the caliber, unless you just 'want' a certain caliber and cost is not a deterrent. All things considered (cost/availability/range of power) I believe the .38/.357 to be the best choice.

Found a nice lightly used super blackhawk with 7.5 inch barrel blue finish. Picked up for $425 this morning. Eager to fire it, unfortunately I have to work tonight which means sleep today. Looking forward to my the start of my "weekend" Tuesday morning.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top