JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Federal HST

a7698140ce325d46aea925c2d4c6a3e6_small.jpg

I grabbed a bunch of the winchester ranger 155gr JHP's awhile back. In my glock they shot great. Haven't really tested it for accuracy in my sig, but its good enough to get the job done. Very consistent and not dirty at all. I kind of want to see how it does on the expansion side of things. But overall I like it. But with the ranger, there are 2 different types of JHP bullets from what I gather. The "T" bullets or whatever are supposed to be the nicer more expandable ones that the Police use, supposedly. The ones I got are not these, but they still seem to work ok and I got a bunch for cheap so its fine with me.

I've been liking the Winchester 180 GR Bonded. It's a plain jane white box with black lettering. When Miwall comes through the PDX gun show, they've been selling it for $130 for a case of 500. I've run a couple of hundred rounds through my carry gun to check for function, and there were no problems.

check out miwallcorp.com for their show schedule. Their prices are among the best I've ever seen.

BGRF

Heres probably one of the best deals in .40 defensive ammo;

500rds winchester ranger 135gr JHP for $130

<broken link removed>

I just bought 2 500 rd cases of that at the last Puyullup show.

Ive shot it before and like it ALOT, also Critical defense (my CC choice) is nice as well but more costly.

I have A bunch of gold dots and some Federal HS too (im a bit of a hoarder)... BUT, You just cant beat the Winchester deal listed above.

Historically, hollow point ammo had a problem expanding if the bullet first passes through leather or thick cloth like denim, before striking flesh. The hollow cavity gets clogged with the material and often fails to expand, performing like a FMJ. I've personally seen this happen while attending autopsies.

Several years ago, Federal Ammo developed a bullet they call "Expanding Full Metal Jacket." (EFMJ) The formerly hollow cavity is filled with a soft plastic of some sort and covered by a thin copper jacket. When the bullet strikes any surface, glass, sheet rock, leather, denim, whatever, the bullet's thin covering begins to crush, starting the expansion. As the bullet meets further resistance, the deformation continues. In my testing, the bullets expand each and every time they hit something, retaining most if not all of it's weight.

The bullet looks a bit like a flat nosed, jacketed round, but the jacket is very thin. EFMJ is marketed chiefly in New Jersey, where hollow point ammo is outlawed, even for police. There is no hollow point cavity, so it's ok with NJ law. I bought some in bulk a few years ago in .45 acp, 200 gr. +P. The 200 grain is now only marketed to police departments. Other weights and calibers are available to the public.
<broken link removed>

About that same time, Cor-Bon developed a similar round, but with the plastic material exposed. They call it Pow-R-Ball and works on the same principle. Controlled, assured expansion.
<broken link removed>

More recently, Hornady developed and is selling their version of controlled expansion bullets, in both rifle and pistol calibers. The pistol ammo is called "Critical Defense" and works off of the; plastic-plug-in-the-former-hollow-cavity principle.
<broken link removed>

As ammo makers are "discovering" the concealed carry, self defense market for their products and the increasing demand for high performance, they have engineered self defense hollow point bullets to increase their expansion after passing through barriers. From what I understand they have figured out how to score the copper jackets from the inside, which enhances expansion.

If I were in the market for hollow point self defense ammo, I would do some homework and make sure that which I was buying has enhanced expansion capability. I have a pretty good supply of EFMJ & Critical Defense on hand, so I'll only be in the market for practice ammo in the near future. The expanding stuff is expensive, but defending yourself, your home and family, is no place to go cheap.

My opinion and experience, your mileage may vary.

From what I understand they have figured out how to score the copper jackets from the inside, which enhances expansion.

Black Talon/ranger has been doing this for years.

I like the idea of the plastic plugged hollow points.

I don't put that much thought in to it.I figure 14 rounds of anything will stop the threat.
But I use hyda shocs

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads