JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Buy full length resizing dies or neck sizing dies? Carbide? Or what do you recommend? I usually but RCBS. Any other suggestions. I have reloaded for 30 06 and 338 for some years ago. I think back 20 some years ago I relied on neck sizing only, trimmed the overall length and set bullets somewhat beyond factor specs but tailored to seating length for each specific rifle.

Buy full length resizing dies or neck sizing dies? Carbide? Or what do you recommend? I usually but RCBS. Any other suggestions. I have reloaded for 30 06 and 338 for some years ago. I think back 20 some years ago I relied on neck sizing only, trimmed the overall length and set bullets somewhat beyond factor specs but tailored to seating length for each specific rifle.

I full-length size all of my hunting ammo because feeding reliability is important for a whole lot of reasons. I will neck size target ammo for single shots and bolt actions only.

I typically use Redding dies.

Typically.......

I buy carbide dies for reloading straight wall pistol cartridges. The bottle necked dies w/carbide, are too expensive for my blood. So, I'll just buy the steel dies and lube the cases.

I buy full length sizing dies for my bottle necked cartridge reloading because I'm usually dealing with a semi auto rifle. Then, my bolt action rifle could also use that same ammo. The KISS principle applies.

IF I were an extreme ACCURACY NUT......YES, I'd be looking at/for more tricks (i.e. special this and thats).

Brands of dies.....
I like RCBS and LEE.

Mind you that it's only an opinion.

Aloha, Mark

Yea, full length size, any brand will do fine.
Worst case scenario your rifle breaks.. you want your ammo to work in all rifles/to have factory specs.

The full length dies generally produce more dependable (reliable) Ammo.

I use carbide for straight walled pistol and steel for rifle.

Just as important (to me) is to get a good bullet seating die with a micrometer. The better alignment you can get for the bullet, the less runout and better accuracy you can achieve. I really like the Forster ultra micrometer seating dies for this purpose.

The measured runout is considerably less between these and standard seating dies.

The full length dies generally produce more dependable (reliable) Ammo.

I use carbide for straight walled pistol and steel for rifle.

Just as important (to me) is to get a good bullet seating die with a micrometer. The better alignment you can get for the bullet, the less runout and better accuracy you can achieve. I really like the Forster ultra micrometer seating dies for this purpose.

The measured run out is considerably less between these and standard seating dies.
If I understand this a searing die with micrometer will perfectly "center" the bullet in the neck of the case? Less run out means? So, in the case of a 300 WM the bullet seating die will "tighten" groups or do I have this wrong? Thanks.

If I understand this a searing die with micrometer will perfectly "center" the bullet in the neck of the case? Less run out means? So, in the case of a 300 WM the bullet seating die will "tighten" groups or do I have this wrong? Thanks.
It's the sleeve that holds the bullet in alignment with the case. This makes for a more concentric cartridge which can make for more consistent, accurate ammunition.

The micrometer top allows for more precise seating depth.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top