JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I've gotten very fond of my new AUG over the last few weeks, and it has pretty much replaced my Sig 556 in the 100 yards and under range. Which means the only time I'd use my Sig is for accuracy at longer distance. So I'm thinking of selling/trading it and picking up a .308 - I figure if I'm going to want to hit something that far out, a .308 is the way to go.

So now I'm looking for recommendations. I like the M1As, but am leaning towards the AR platform. DPMS, Armalite AR10 and Rock River's LAR-8 are at the top of the list. My requirements are primarily 1) reliability 2) Accuracy 3) value (e.g price). Portability is not a huge issue, as I'll likely be using a bipod. This is strictly a 100 yards and over rifle. Comments on Barrel length (16 vs. 20 vs. 24) would also be appreciated, as would any comments on building (or assembling) vs. complete rifle.

Thanks guys!

FN-frickin-FAL!!! I've had them all, and the Fal is the one I kept. Let me know when you want to go up to the range, and I'll let you run a few rounds through. I've got one scoped up with a 2-7 leupold, and a lighter weight one with a 1-4 leupold.
1. Cheap repair parts.
2. easy to work on
3. accurate
4. RELIABLE!
5. cheap mags, I've stocked up on $5 mags.
6. Everyone is talking about retrofitting their rifles with a "fal style gas system"... Why not just get a fal?
7. STG-58 style has built in bipod.
8. Easier to scope than a M1A.

Last Edited:
FN-frickin-FAL!!! I've had them all, and the Fal is the one I kept. Let me know when you want to go up to the range, and I'll let you run a few rounds through. I've got one scoped up with a 2-7 leupold, and a lighter weight one with a 1-4 leupold.
1. Cheap repair parts.
2. easy to work on
3. accurate
4. RELIABLE!
6. Everyone is talking about retrofitting their rifles with a "fal style gas system"... Why not just get a fal?

I should have known the first post would be from a FAL-man ;) Thanks for the offer, and I'll probably take you up on it when I get a bit of free time ( rough at the moment w/ 2 kids under 4)

I have a guy at work who's been trying to convince me that FALs are the way to go, but I just don't get a great vibe from them. Not sure why.

In this case though, I'm looking for something I can get 1MOA groups from at 100 yards. I think the FAL is probably a great all-around battle rifle, but I don't plan on throwing this thing in the mud or banging the **** out of it.

With good ammo you would be suprised. I get 1.5-2moa with surplus South African ammo, from my Fals. I agree that AR-10 is more of a target rifle, with a bull barrel. If we could all have one of each, we'ld finally be happy.

In this case though, I'm looking for something I can get 1MOA groups from at 100 yards. I think the FAL is probably a great all-around battle rifle, but I don't plan on throwing this thing in the mud or banging the **** out of it.

You're looking at a DPMS or a AR-10. What configuration depends on what kind of weight you want to be carrying around.

I personally went with the AR-10 and have had zero stoppages in 2 rifles with your basic South African.

Unfortunately, due to my current ammo use, I could give you no idea of the accuracy of either of my rifles.

M1A. I was smacking a 12" plate at 250 yards in prone, sitting and offhand/standing last week with mil surplus ammo and iron sights. They have the best iron sights I've ever used on a gun as well as the best trigger. I think you'd also be hard pressed to find a more reliable weapon.

They are not sub 1 MOA guns, but then again I don't think most semi-auto rifles are either (especially if using mil-surplus ammo). If you want sub MOA consistently you need to use a bolt gun with quality match ammo. IMO. My M1As seem to be around the 1.5-2 MOA range with mil-surplus ammo. This is plenty good for all but the most extreme long range shooting.

I'd get something with a full length barrel if you want to shoot it at longer ranges. Longer barrel means more velocity, less muzzle flash/report and longer sight radius and makes for a better long range weapon.

M1A. I was smacking a 12" plate at 250 yards in prone, sitting and offhand/standing last week with mil surplus ammo and iron sights. They have the best iron sights I've ever used on a gun as well as the best trigger. I think you'd also be hard pressed to find a more reliable weapon.

They are not sub 1 MOA guns, but then again I don't think most semi-auto rifles are either (especially if using mil-surplus ammo). If you want sub MOA consistently you need to use a bolt gun with quality match ammo. IMO. My M1As seem to be around the 1.5-2 MOA range with mil-surplus ammo. This is plenty good for all but the most extreme long range shooting.

I'd get something with a full length barrel if you want to shoot it at longer ranges. Longer barrel means more velocity, less muzzle flash/report and longer sight radius and makes for a better long range weapon.

+1 I prefure the M1A, but you can get an HK clone or Cetme.. their not to bad.

So you were shooting 4.3MOA?

I'm sorry for this, but I gotta suggest a Saiga .308 22" with a Muzzle break.
Have it converted. You don't need tons of fancy extras and at the end it might cost you around what an FN-FAL might cost used.. but its a darn decent rifle.

But hey if you've got the bucks.. go buy an M1 or an AR10!

Well under 4 moa with British Radway Green ammo. Almost any rifle can do sub 4 moa with ball ammo. If not I'd get a new rifle.

Looking at the bullet splatter on the plate it was about 2 moa with this ammo. It was 100% hit in prone at that range from prone.

Alright, I don't have a Muzzle Break, a new Forearm or my drooled over folding mechanism.. heck even a laser sight, but here is the rough draft. :D

Thanks to a good deal and conversion my 16" saiga .308 is up and running.

Something like this perhaps?

Although, I've been seeing a TON of CETME's for $475-$500
(Some including 2+ magazine deals) :confused:

Can't beat that my friend. I think I'll save up for one of those CETME's with the wood furniture and in good time I'll obtain one. But for now, my hunt is for a few decent revolvers specific cals and a Mac 10. (Not needed, but wanted.)

100_0082.jpg

Actually, for shooting surplus ammo with iron sights at 250Y WITHOUT a proper rest (he said prone and sit/stand, so I assume no bench), hitting a 12" target is pretty good.

With match ammo, calculating for wind, national match sights (which have more detailed elevation/windage adjustments), and a proper benchrest, he could probably bring that down. By half maybe?

With a match barrel, match trigger, quality optics, and match ammo, an M1A hovers at 1 to 1.5MOA. Better if you go completely allout (e.g., Supermatch, M21, etc.)

1. Cheap repair parts.
2. easy to work on
3. accurate
4. RELIABLE!

+1 on the FAL Variants! Mags are now about $15-20 but still way cheaper than other .308's. I love mine.

And poor ;-)

I did see one at 99 Pawn & Guns, but it was overpriced for a pawn shop gun.

If I was going to buy another M1A, I'd probably buy one from Fulton Armory.

I'd be leery of .308's in under 18" barrels...you lose a lot of their range and gain a lot of noise. Typically, a .308 should really be in 20 or 21".

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top