JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How does glass compare to Leopold or higher grade nikon?

My friend Nick hunts with a Swarovski. Just before dark we checked our scopes out. He was pizzed he paid so much. ;)

The real benefit to the Shepard is its two scopes in one. And has great range finding and BDC.
One set of turrets controls the circles and one the cross hairs. If something inside breaks.. The two will no longer line up.

That's cool with any gun that has enough recoil to gut a scope.

The downside [Isn't there always a downside?] is that the scope is built like a tank so its on the heavy side. But they don't break.

DSCN4387 (3).JPG

Any ideas for a lite weight scope? I am looking a Leopold Freedom 4 x 12 x 14. Suggestions. This would be fitted on a Weatherby S2. Any lite weight 4 x 16 for hunting. Thanks.

I would not for any reason trade light weight or magnification for good optical clarity. Good quality glass in a lower power scope is nearly always superior to more magnification with poorer quality lenses. Hunting often means low light situations where the object is difficult to see. The best glass you can afford is the way to go. An illuminated reticle is also a pretty good idea if you hunt in the timber.
Even though it's a little heavy, I use a VX-R 3-9x40. It's a 30mm tube and it has the Firedot reticle, which can be turned off if desired. I could live without the CDS turret, but it does have it's strong points.

I have a lighter 3-9x40 VX-II (old series when only -I, -II and -III were available) that I can use. It, too, has very good glass, but the light gathering ability of the VX-R is a noticeable improvement.

Based on the OPs question, without going to an illuminated reticle, I would suggest a slight change. Although it's a bit more expensive I would choose the VX-3i 3.5-10x40.
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm | Leupold

I would not for any reason trade light weight or magnification for good optical clarity. Good quality glass in a lower power scope is nearly always superior to more magnification with poorer quality lenses. Hunting often means low light situations where the object is difficult to see. The best glass you can afford is the way to go. An illuminated reticle is also a pretty good idea if you hunt in the timber.
Even though it's a little heavy, I use a VX-R 3-9x40. It's a 30mm tube and it has the Firedot reticle, which can be turned off if desired. I could live without the CDS turret, but it does have it's strong points.

I have a lighter 3-9x40 VX-II (old series when only -I, -II and -III were available) that I can use. It, too, has very good glass, but the light gathering ability of the VX-R is a noticeable improvement.

Based on the OPs question, without going to an illuminated reticle, I would suggest a slight change. Although it's a bit more expensive I would choose the VX-3i 3.5-10x40.
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm | Leupold[/QUO

Any one have any ideas on a 4 x 12 x 40 or 50 with illuminated dot or reticle?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top