Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Recommendations for scope for 300 Winchester Mag?

Reactions
Any ideas for a lite weight scope? I am looking a Leopold Freedom 4 x 12 x 14. Suggestions. This would be fitted on a Weatherby S2. Any lite weight 4 x 16 for hunting. Thanks.

How does glass compare to Leopold or higher grade nikon?
Nikon makes good glass, I just hate their reticle options. I have a Leupold VX3i 3.5-10x40 on my 7mm Rem Mag and really like it. Not quite enough power to have bad parallax issues, light, plenty of magnification at 400 and low enough power to be able to hunt timber.

Reactions
How does glass compare to Leopold or higher grade nikon?
My friend Nick hunts with a Swarovski. Just before dark we checked our scopes out. He was pizzed he paid so much. ;)

The real benefit to the Shepard is its two scopes in one. And has great range finding and BDC.
One set of turrets controls the circles and one the cross hairs. If something inside breaks.. The two will no longer line up.

That's cool with any gun that has enough recoil to gut a scope.

The downside [Isn't there always a downside?] is that the scope is built like a tank so its on the heavy side. But they don't break.

DSCN4387 (3).JPG

orygun

Reactions
Any ideas for a lite weight scope? I am looking a Leopold Freedom 4 x 12 x 14. Suggestions. This would be fitted on a Weatherby S2. Any lite weight 4 x 16 for hunting. Thanks.
I would not for any reason trade light weight or magnification for good optical clarity. Good quality glass in a lower power scope is nearly always superior to more magnification with poorer quality lenses. Hunting often means low light situations where the object is difficult to see. The best glass you can afford is the way to go. An illuminated reticle is also a pretty good idea if you hunt in the timber.
Even though it's a little heavy, I use a VX-R 3-9x40. It's a 30mm tube and it has the Firedot reticle, which can be turned off if desired. I could live without the CDS turret, but it does have it's strong points.

I have a lighter 3-9x40 VX-II (old series when only -I, -II and -III were available) that I can use. It, too, has very good glass, but the light gathering ability of the VX-R is a noticeable improvement.

Based on the OPs question, without going to an illuminated reticle, I would suggest a slight change. Although it's a bit more expensive I would choose the VX-3i 3.5-10x40.
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm | Leupold

OP
T
Reactions
I would not for any reason trade light weight or magnification for good optical clarity. Good quality glass in a lower power scope is nearly always superior to more magnification with poorer quality lenses. Hunting often means low light situations where the object is difficult to see. The best glass you can afford is the way to go. An illuminated reticle is also a pretty good idea if you hunt in the timber.
Even though it's a little heavy, I use a VX-R 3-9x40. It's a 30mm tube and it has the Firedot reticle, which can be turned off if desired. I could live without the CDS turret, but it does have it's strong points.

I have a lighter 3-9x40 VX-II (old series when only -I, -II and -III were available) that I can use. It, too, has very good glass, but the light gathering ability of the VX-R is a noticeable improvement.

Based on the OPs question, without going to an illuminated reticle, I would suggest a slight change. Although it's a bit more expensive I would choose the VX-3i 3.5-10x40.
VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm | Leupold[/QUO

Any one have any ideas on a 4 x 12 x 40 or 50 with illuminated dot or reticle?

LATEST REVIEWS

• Klickitat County Firearms Training Facility
    4.00 star(s)
    Not really a range guy, as in I am 53 years old and today is the very first time I have been to an actual managed shooting range. Also, not a WA...
    • CRBMoA
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    I've made several purchases here over the past few years and I've had a great experience every time. Prices are good, their staff is helpful, and...
    • Joe Link
  • Big Iron Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    It's great to have an LGS inside Portland Metro. Walt and Noah have put care into setting good prices and acquiring quality firearms and...
    • kr0ptkin
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Well I finally got around to taking pics of the Cerakoting work that Jeremy of Lucky Sports did for my wife and me about 3 weeks ago. We couldn't...
    • jg rider
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Here's more work that Jeremy did for me The first 3 pics are of an RIA frame that I had Cerakoted years back by an outfit in Molino. I had Jeremy...
    • jg rider

Staff online