JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Folks:

SB 941 relating to universal background checks passed from the Oregon Senate to the Oregon House of representatives with No Republican votes. Senator Betsy Johnson (D) voted No with the Republicans. The A11 amendment on OLIS was proposed as an alternative. No Republican suggestions were incorporated into the final bill.

Oddly, the majority Democrats voted to move away from the present Oregon State Police policy of reporting 100% of the failed background checks to law enforcement to a system of permissive reporting. From a law enforcement point of view this is very odd. For the record, it was Republican pressure last year that resulted in enforcing existing laws on illegal purchase attempts of firearms by prohibited buyers.

We have been told SB 941 will be assigned to the House Rules Committee whose Chair is Representative Val Hoyle at [email protected]. If you have comments this is the point of contact along with your own State Representative.

The bill status is at https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB941.

Please keep in mind, blanket attack emails to every Legislator is not effective. In fact, attack emails are counter-productive. Therefore, I suggest targeted personal emails with personal suggestions or respective opinions is your best option to influence the future of SB 941 in the Oregon House of Representatives.

Sincerely,

Brian J. Boquist

State Senator

District 12

Please keep in mind, blanket attack emails to every Legislator is not effective. In fact, attack emails are counter-productive. Therefore, I suggest targeted personal emails with personal suggestions or respective opinions is your best option to influence the future of SB 941 in the Oregon House of Representatives.

Words of wisdom right there. Keep it civil and respectful.

As a note:

When I send emails I BCC everyone. Then they all think they are the only ones getting it.

:)

Joe, many men and women have died protecting our 2nd amendment. Those that are trying to take it, are not civil, nor respectful.
How about just Civil then? We all want your message getting through. Be disrespectful by leaving out their Titles or Sirs and Madams and Dears and such. You can convey a tone without being threatening or using foul language.
Just my opinion, I wouldn't fault you for not heeding it either. It's hard watching the collapse (IMO) of a Beautiful State like Oregon due to a CA style progressive takeover. It burns me up and I consider myself a bit of a Centrist. It must be extra painful to a native Oregonian/Conservative.

[Oddly, the majority Democrats voted to move away from the present Oregon State Police policy of reporting 100% of the failed background checks to law enforcement to a system of permissive reporting. From a law enforcement point of view this is very odd. For the record, it was Republican pressure last year that resulted in enforcing existing laws on illegal purchase attempts of firearms by prohibited buyers.]

To me this sounds like a way for them to look back at the good that this bill has done and go forward with any other garbage bill they can dream up.

They will show very few law abiding citizens that failed the background check and %100 (however low that is) of legitimate failed checks to make it look like this was a great bill.

[Oddly, the majority Democrats voted to move away from the present Oregon State Police policy of reporting 100% of the failed background checks to law enforcement to a system of permissive reporting. From a law enforcement point of view this is very odd. For the record, it was Republican pressure last year that resulted in enforcing existing laws on illegal purchase attempts of firearms by prohibited buyers.]

To me this sounds like a way for them to look back at the good that this bill has done and go forward with any other garbage bill they can dream up.

They will show very few law abiding citizens that failed the background check and %100 (however low that is) of legitimate failed checks to make it look like this was a great bill.
Can someone please post a link to the transcript of the Senate discussion prior to the vote?
If anybody had a chance to watch it, there were some stunning moments of oratorical hyperbole in support - along with magnificently crafted arguments in opposition.
To witness the emotional outbursts of certain Senators in support was embarrassing.
They need to be kept away from dangerous machinery, such as the functioning of Government by the People, FOR the people.
Exaggerated statistical comparison theatrics was a favorite tactic, but when confronted with genuine facts, these rehearsed performances shriveled without coherent rebuttal.

There is power in words, and this debacle would not be upon us without persuasive language.
The opposition spoke the truth eloquently with conviction.
A link to the transcript would give us all valuable information about what really happened today, and what we can do NOW.
BTW: the discussion ran from 10:30 AM until 1PM; when the vote was taken.
It was all over by 1:04 PM

I've done my writing, several times now. These people don't care, it's in their minds that they are doing what's good for everyone. Just as Ed says, it seems to be a waste of breath to try and talk to these people....Prozanski, Burdick and of course my own lovely senator Dembrow. They are deaf to anything not in line with their way of thinking. I haven't even got a caned reply from my e-mails.

I think what I'm feeling is something like other minorities in America's history may have felt during the times unfair laws were, or were not passed, completely leaving them out, or directly, and negatively affecting them.

Mike

You might as well face the facts . . . THE DEMONCRATS HAVE MOUNTED A FULL-ON ATTACK ON THE 2ND AMENDMENT . . . We need to do everything in our power to wash them from office with a deluge of votes.

And I mean ALL demoncrats, since the majority party determines the rules. They are like a cancer that needs to be excised with the paper scalpel of votes. To leave even one in office is a dangerous mistake because, like cancer, a single cell will grow to overwhelm the victim.

Sheldon

You might as well face the facts . . . THE DEMONCRATS HAVE MOUNTED A FULL-ON ATTACK ON THE 2ND AMENDMENT . . . We need to do everything in our power to wash them from office with a deluge of votes.

And I mean ALL demoncrats, since the majority party determines the rules. They are like a cancer that needs to be excised with the paper scalpel of votes. To leave even one in office is a dangerous mistake because, like cancer, a single cell will grow to overwhelm the victim.

Sheldon

Good luck with that.

Folks:

SB 941 relating to universal background checks passed from the Oregon Senate to the Oregon House of representatives with No Republican votes. Senator Betsy Johnson (D) voted No with the Republicans. The A11 amendment on OLIS was proposed as an alternative. No Republican suggestions were incorporated into the final bill.

Oddly, the majority Democrats voted to move away from the present Oregon State Police policy of reporting 100% of the failed background checks to law enforcement to a system of permissive reporting. From a law enforcement point of view this is very odd. For the record, it was Republican pressure last year that resulted in enforcing existing laws on illegal purchase attempts of firearms by prohibited buyers.

We have been told SB 941 will be assigned to the House Rules Committee whose Chair is Representative Val Hoyle at [email protected]. If you have comments this is the point of contact along with your own State Representative.

The bill status is at https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2015R1/Measures/Overview/SB941.

Sincerely,

Brian J. Boquist

State Senator

District 12

I'm reading this bill in detail and can see some important talking points based on my detailed read. I am suggesting that others look for important talking points and make suggestions for "mega" improvements, if these can be found. thanks tkdguy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top