JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I currently live in California and I'm considering relocating to the Portland area. What areas would you recommend? My job would have me transfer to our office by the airport. So far I've only looked at Happy Valley based on a referral.

I live in Happy Valley, it's a good place, pretty calm and peaceful and there are relatively nice neighborhoods depending on where you're at. Not to mention everything is in a real close proximity.

From Cali.. Stay on the east side we have enough californicators over here on the west side... LOL

FYI - I'm originally from Oregon. I have just been living in California for the job so I'm looking to return to the homeland where gun laws are much better :).

Eastside all the way!! East Portland is the greatest place on the planet. Bars, music venues, parks galore, and some of the most well-respected eateries on Earth. And it would be much more conducive to commuting to the airport than living on the westside, which from my experience is about 1/2 yuppies and 1/2 illegal aliens. There are good and bad neighborhoods all over town though.....just gotta look. And Happy Valley is beautiful, by the way, and not too bad a drive to the 205. A little far away from the center of things, but beautiful and quiet if that's what you're into.

Depends on how far of a commute you are comfortable with. If you put yourself near I84 well out in East County its an easy drive in to the Airport via I84 or even better Marine drive. Marine Drive is very plesant in the morning, scenic and relaxing IMHO.
Think Corbett, Troutdale, Fairview, Wood Village. There are nice neighborhoods in each of those towns. You can get to the city but the city cant get to you kinds of places.
Happy Valley is nice too but not as plesant of a commute IMHO.

FYI - I'm originally from Oregon. I have just been living in California for the job so I'm looking to return to the homeland where gun laws are much better :).

I guess you can come back then:D

This is an interesting thread. Seems wherever one lives is better than "the other side." (I am in the SW, and don't like the SE areas at all :s0131:) One thing you might want to do is take a look at the crime stats for a specific area you are considering. Someone posted a link not too long ago for searching by address (sorry, I don't have it handy). In some cases you will be surprised.

For us, commute time, lowest taxes, and low crime would be our priorities.

Having lived in Washington county and Clackamas county, we will never move back to Washington county, or to Multnomah county. But I guess we are more rural in our lifestyle.

Stay the heck outta Portland!

You're welcome in Vancouver IF you are a freedom loving conservative meat eating gun owner who doesn't drive a Prius and won't vote for light rail and has a pickup truck and belongs to a 2nd Amendment rights group and isn't homopsexual and likes a good honest lager beer and bourbon and/or rye.

Depends on how far of a commute you are comfortable with. If you put yourself near I84 well out in East County its an easy drive in to the Airport via I84 or even better Marine drive. Marine Drive is very plesant in the morning, scenic and relaxing IMHO.

Think Corbett, Troutdale, Fairview, Wood Village. There are nice neighborhoods in each of those towns. You can get to the city but the city cant get to you kinds of places.
Happy Valley is nice too but not as plesant of a commute IMHO.

I second the recommendation and add Damascus, Sandy, and Boring (just east of Happy Valley), and even Estacada. Avoid Multnomah County at all costs. They've had county income taxes and other idiotic schemes in the last few years. Stick to Clackamas County. I'd also try to find something outside the Metro Urban Growth Boundary (more liberal insanity).

I'm near Boring and commute to downtown Portland for work. It's about 25 minutes and 20 miles each way. The commute from Sandy to the airport on Hwy 26/I-84 should be a reasonable drive and Sandy would be a great location in Clackamas County and outside Metro's boundaries. That would put you about 30 minutes from skiing at Mt. Hood and walking distance of fishing and hunting.

Stay away from Martin Luther King Blvd area house values are continuing to drop and crime is out of control with no end in sight.
I grew up in portland but when it came time to buy a home you don't get much for your money Plus oregon income tax .
so I moved across the river wa state much more for your dollar no state income tax which for me is around 400 a month .
so Oregon is still in my heart but all I gotta do is drive over the bridge and wallah I'm there .

I live in western Portland, near Hillsboro and Beaverton, in Washington County. My job is in Hillsboro. My commute is 7 miles one way, so 14 round trip. Crime is the area does not really seem to be a big issue. I like it where I am at, been here for 10 months, could not pay me enough to live in Portland proper, down the grade. I came from San Jose, like it much better here in the Portland area than I did down there. Feel safer here too, but maybe because Ihave a CHL...

Of the big '3' counties--Washington, Clackamas, and Multnomah, I would vote Washington the best as we have the most gun friendly Sheriff of the bunch. Shortest wait times for Concealed permits, and if you go west towards Forest Grove, Banks or Gaston, there are plenty of rural areas.

Columbia County north and west of Portland would be my second choice. Nice small town feel, as well as plenty of rural areas.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Capitalism is BO$$!!!

I grew up in SE Portland, and will NEVER live in Portland or Multnomah County again.

Plus, you are closer to the beach....

Eastside all the way!! East Portland is the greatest place on the planet. Bars, music venues, parks galore, and some of the most well-respected eateries on Earth. And it would be much more conducive to commuting to the airport than living on the westside, which from my experience is about 1/2 yuppies and 1/2 illegal aliens. There are good and bad neighborhoods all over town though.....just gotta look. And Happy Valley is beautiful, by the way, and not too bad a drive to the 205. A little far away from the center of things, but beautiful and quiet if that's what you're into.

Washington County! Not many uppity types, our yuppies actually have jobs and the gangstas, (white, black, brown) aren't shooting each other. Plus, no self imposed tax increases!

Westside!!!

Lefty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews