JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Savage Axis which I haven't shot yet. The only thing I don't like so far is the bolt throw. With a scope attached, the bolt opens very close to the scope.

It's not garbage. It's an excellent small-game cartridge. Rabbits, squirrels, maybe nutria if you know you can hit them more than once.

Edit to add I read the "Pet Handloads" section and I'm calling B.S. on the velocities they claim. Huge steaming piles of B.S.

P

If you switched up to a 280, you might be able to kill a coyote given a broadside shot and you don't hit any heavy bones.

Pharmseller,

You mentioned you sold your Axis after you found out the safety didn't lock the bolt.
Why was that an issue?

Dean

My mistake, it was a Ruger American.

I like a locked bolt. Most rifles won't fire if the bolt isn't down all the way. As others have mentioned, it doesn't take much to lift the bolt a bit. Then in the heat of the moment you take off the safety, shoulder the rifle, aim for the gap between the trees and wait for the buck to cross the space, squeeze, tag soup.

P

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads