JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The two most accurate hunting rifles I've ever owned were 270s. A SC made M70 Sporter and a Remington 700 LSS that I restocked in a B&C Alaskan Ti stock. Both shot 130gr GameKings and 60gr of H4831 into little groups.
Thats a great old school recipe. I bumped up the charge wt on my buddies to 60.5g. Looked something like this:
zhnqocq.jpg

Buy that 1898 Krag MountainBear has up for sale, you'll be rockin' retro.
One of the straightest shootin' rifles around, and you should be good out to 300 yards.

I'd go with a lever 30-30...

Lightweight and lots of great quality rifles floating around that can be had for $300.
Good choice. A Marlin with straight stock and 4X scope works well for my needs. The plethora of modern .30-30 ammo improves the range and effectiveness of the old .30-30 lever carbines.
FWIW the .308 BLR is a good one too, mine reaches out and is easy to carry around here in the mtns..

BSA,

Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda on the Stevens 200.
I knew that was a winner right from the start and sat on it.
….oh well, moving forward.
Thanks for the comments Pharmseller. Just wondering if it was worth the $375 Savage is asking for one.
You guys are right, seems almost to good to be true.
I was just noticing the 7mm-08 chambering and the 6.2 lbs. weight. Seemed to fit (somewhat) into what the OP was looking for (and if you MUST shoot 6.5 CM, that is an option as well).
...I'm liking Joe13's comments about a lever action .30-30 more and more as this thread goes on, as well as the Tikka options.

Dean

If anyone wants to feel what a Tikka Superlite in 7mm-08 feels like with hot but safe handloads, let me know. I also have almost a full box of factory fodder.

7BC32756-53BE-46F1-B776-8B01E2552633.jpeg

This young feller used it to kill his first buck two seasons ago.

2E6124BC-8ADF-4A91-9550-097F1DF92C69.jpeg

DF3C60A8-CC9D-4E83-98D7-08D1F0B19A17.jpeg

Banged a gong at 560 yards with it, too.

P

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads