JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like to find something less than 6 pounds. Any ideas?
.357 or .44 mag lever action are the first things that come to mind.
Also, some old Military rifles can be easily moded to lightweight hunting rifles.
My brother's '95 Chilean Mauser was a cheap buy back in the 60's and with a little whittling down of the stock, it's become a lightweight but powerful and accurate hunter for many years now.

Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-13.jpg
Mauser_1895_Chilean_Bill-04.jpg
Me-Deer-1977_small.jpg

...right on about 6 lbs.
Carries like a dream and 7x57 can pretty much take out anything that walks the continent.

Dean

Another vote 223 or 7.62x39 bolt.
Cheap ammo and low to almost none recoil for practice all day long.
If that's too practical for you and you want to Uber cool, then kimber hunter or tikka super lite in 6.5 creedmoor

.357 or .44 mag lever action are the first things that come to mind.
Also, some old Military rifles can be easily moded to lightweight hunting rifles.
My brother's '95 Chilean Mauser was a cheap buy back in the 60's and with a little whittling down of the stock, it's become a lightweight but powerful and accurate hunter for many years now.

View attachment 583956
View attachment 583957
View attachment 583961

...right on about 6 lbs.
Carries like a dream and 7x57 can pretty much take out anything that walks the continent.

Dean
Dean, you are entirely too practical to be hanging around a modern hunting board! I like it!

Nosler Partition or Bonded Solid Base. I haven't tried the new Accubond, they're a little too proud of the price. 50 grain TTSX and up to 62 grain, but drive them fast and aim for bone. I'm thinking about my 74 grain ELD-M through the ribs if I draw this year.

Must have been a special run. My eldm's are 73 grain. However, ive heard the 77gr TMK's are much better performers as far as better penetration, retained weight and less blood shot meat. You are right about the cartridge though, it works great on deer sized critters. We are lucky to live in a state where it is legal to use for deer hunting. I also agree with you about the Tikka superlite. However, if the op was looking for used, id be looking for a 6.5 pound pre 64 model 70 featherweight. Chambered for something like the 243 win.

Thinking 243, 7 mm 08 or 25 06; optics depending on caliber maybe fixed 6x or variable 4 x 14; bolt action; weight is the issue along with accuracy. Thanks for the detailed questions. I'd love to keep one minute of an angle.
YOU GOT THE ANSWER ALREADY! EVERYTHING YOU JUST SAID! LOL! PICK UP A 700 MOUNTAIN RIFLE OR RUGER MOUNTAIN RIFLE, OR REMINGTON MODEL 7 IN 7MM 08 OR 308 ETC.

I jumped on the 6.5CM train. fun round and shoots as good as my 270, and I found a box of 20 S&B 140 pointed soft point at sportsman for 11.99. bought few boxes for brass. and they had FMJ for 10.99. bought few boxes of those as well.
can't do that with 7-08

I like the other stories, it shows I'm not alone. I needed the emotional support after that harrowing experience.

And the .270 is the epitome of gender identity crisis.

P

Yeah, you and I have both heard that a lot from a different website we visit. Pretty much common knowledge there. ;) However, I have to say I loaded up some 130 gr pills for my buddies 270 winchester, and that was a shooting son of a gun. The cases were stuffed full of H4831, I didn't even work up a loadndie it. I figured it was a 270, it's going to shoot like crap anyway. Right? WRONG!!! That dang thing was shooting circles around my rifles that day. Finally I said to my buddy, "hey troy, let me see that thing, I want to shoot 1 5 shot group with it"..... Well, I fired off the first 3 and there was only 1 bullet hole. I must have missed the target board clean (2'x4' target board) with the second and third shots. Anyway, after I was done, we walked downrange and we looked at the target and sure enough it only had 3 shots on it.... Dang flyers. But hey the 3 shots were all touching....:p

Mentor hunt? Sounds great!
What's the bag limit on mentors?
You couldn't hit one anyway. Your guns are never sighted in, but dang they shoot good. As long as you don't look too close at the pasties over the flyers...:D:p
Not that i'm the best shot, but at least we use the same kind of rifles. Sans the creedmoor stuff:

:D

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top