JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Literally tons.

Caliber?

Optic?

Action type?

So many missing things to consider.

There are two current threads to this one as well that are roughly the same topic with good recommendations in them. I recommend checking those out too.

Thinking 243, 7 mm 08 or 25 06; optics depending on caliber maybe fixed 6x or variable 4 x 14; bolt action; weight is the issue along with accuracy. Thanks for the detailed questions. I'd love to keep one minute of an angle.

Thinking 243, 7 mm 08 or 25 06; optics depending on caliber maybe fixed 6x or variable 4 x 14; bolt action; weight is the issue along with accuracy. Thanks for the detailed questions. I'd love to keep one minute of an angle.
There are about 100 different bolt action rifles out there in each of those calibers that fits the bill. From inexpensive to way out there expensive.

An absolute value of a rifle is the Ruger American line. I know they will be chambered in all of those and they are light and for the most part accurate.

There are carbon fiber sleeved barrels of Christianson Arms that get expensive but are silly lightweight.

Howa Mini-action in 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel. The former offers readily available cheap ammo, the latter offers (potentially) much better accuracy at longer ranges, but ammo is expensive and hard to find, unless you hand load. Depending on barrel and stock choice, the Howa should be right at 40" OAL, and 6-7 lbs. naked. If the barreled action I just picked up is any indication, they're also much higher quality than the price would suggest. Later.

Dave

Model Seven Threaded

there's a 6lb bolt gun in .308. probably plenty of others that are nice and light weight. Just look for shorter barrels that aren't heavy or bull barrel profiles.

Optics shouldn't be hard. 4-14x44 arc-2 MOA (if you prefer MOA) or 4-14x44 MRAD (if you prefer mil-dot) from primary arms are both excellent scopes with great clarity for the money. You'll be hard pressed to find a better optic with the features those two have for under $300. The rifle will be the harder one to keep under 6lbs and should note that the lighter the rifle the harder it will kick.

My first thought was a lever 30-30. The second was a Ruger American 7.62x39. Looks like I'm a bit late to the party...
My other thought, one I may use this year, AR pistol with a brace and optic in whatever caliber. Mine is a 5.56/223. Inside of 100-150 yards, it would be more than acceptable for deer. Hunting in the timber I've never taken a shot over 60 yards.

Tikkas suck. Everyone knows that.

I guess I didn't get the memo.

T3.jpg

042949A9-9E67-4F37-9BE0-72E1945A87CC.jpeg

Deer ain't hard to kill. 200 yards and in this Superlite in .223 would do it, easy.

If you think you need more juice, a Superlite in 7mm-08 can kill cleanly to 541 yards. Maybe farther, but I haven't tried yet.

1F9FE0F3-92AF-4D83-B9D8-6A75EDFBE550.jpeg

That's my buddy's boy with his first buck. He used my rifle to kill it. This kid was hitting a 12" gong at 557 yards with my rifle.

The target is the little white dot at the edge of the field.

4A506B63-35CC-4306-B738-02A9ED51EF7E.jpeg

8658D967-5CFF-4257-A4B4-60219237ACCC.jpeg

P

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class