Buster Beaver Cerakote
Advertise on Northwest Firearms
RifleClass.com
Southwest Firearms Forum
Low Price Guns
Oregon Arms & Ammunition
Defensive Arts
Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Recommendations for lite weight hunting rifle for deer sized game...

DeanMk

Reactions
Pharmseller,

You mentioned you sold your Axis after you found out the safety didn't lock the bolt.
Why was that an issue?

Dean

Reactions
I have a Savage Axis which I haven't shot yet. The only thing I don't like so far is the bolt throw. With a scope attached, the bolt opens very close to the scope.

I have a Savage Axis which I haven't shot yet. The only thing I don't like so far is the bolt throw. With a scope attached, the bolt opens very close to the scope.
Pretty common for a 2-lug bolt. Remington 700s and Winchester M70s are the same.

Anyone have any experience with the Savage Axis rifles?
I was just looking at them and they are fairly light as well as being fairly inexpensive.

Dean
I picked up a used one in 308 for $200 and gave it to my son for Xmas. They're accurate shooters, the trigger sucks as$, he prefers my Win M70 and wants me to give that to him....

It’s not garbage. It’s an excellent small-game cartridge. Rabbits, squirrels, maybe nutria if you know you can hit them more than once.

Edit to add I read the “Pet Handloads” section and I’m calling B.S. on the velocities they claim. Huge steaming piles of B.S.

P
If you switched up to a 280, you might be able to kill a coyote given a broadside shot and you don’t hit any heavy bones.

Reactions
Pharmseller,

You mentioned you sold your Axis after you found out the safety didn't lock the bolt.
Why was that an issue?

Dean

My mistake, it was a Ruger American.

I like a locked bolt. Most rifles won’t fire if the bolt isn’t down all the way. As others have mentioned, it doesn’t take much to lift the bolt a bit. Then in the heat of the moment you take off the safety, shoulder the rifle, aim for the gap between the trees and wait for the buck to cross the space, squeeze, tag soup.

P

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rapid Fire Arms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great place friendly service always take time to help you, great knowledge of products
    • RJSouth
  • Supporting Vendor Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Perfect install of peep sight on my cz 527 carbine. Price was right, was expecting it to be more. Will be my go to for anything I can't handle...
    • cd90caprice
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    I've been party to a couple transactions with Steve and he is a great guy to deal with.
    • titsonritz
  • TJ Gun Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Purchased two handguns there and have one on consignment now nice folks!
    • rl280
  • Northwest Armory - Tigard
    5.00 star(s)
    Went in to help my buddy with his purchase and ended up trading in a 1911 towards a CZ SP-01 Tactical. They gave a higher price that some of the...
    • nosbocaj

SUPPORT NORTHWEST FIREARMS