JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Such as what scope if you went with a 7 mm 08 or 6.5 cm? And, what power?

Leupold makes some nice quality lighter scopes, it is just I I seen many people buy a light weight rifle, then put a 5 -25 x56 three pound scope on the gun,to me that defeats the purpose of buying a light weight gun. But I suppose total weight then is the issue.

I have a 2.5-10 on my hunting rifle.

I'm thinking something like a Ruger American in .308 with the barrel cut back to 16.5" or 18" and threaded for a break or suppressor with a low power scope like a 1.5x6 or 2x8, maybe even run an aimpoint type reddot sight for fast shooting in the timber.

Such as what scope if you went with a 7 mm 08 or 6.5 cm? And, what power?

I bought my wife a Ruger Compact (77 MKII) in 7mm-08 and topped it with a Leupold 2-7x33. The scope is compact, too and fits well on the smaller rifle. Honestly, this whole package is light, compact and easy to shoot. The nearly identical rifle is now part of the Hawkeye line. Ruger® Hawkeye® Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Models There is also a compact on the American series.
This little bugger didn't know what hit him. (Nor did the elk she shot a few years back)
Lindas buck.jpg

Take a look at the Barrett Fieldcraft. I have one in 308 and with scope and rings comes in right at 6lbs. Timney trigger from the factory and I believe Bartlien does their barrels. Custom rifle quality at a factory rifle price point.

View attachment 578188

Deer ain't hard to kill. 200 yards and in this Superlite in .223 would do it, easy.

If you think you need more juice, a Superlite in 7mm-08 can kill cleanly to 541 yards. Maybe farther, but I haven't tried yet.

View attachment 578190

That's my buddy's boy with his first buck. He used my rifle to kill it. This kid was hitting a 12" gong at 557 yards with my rifle.

The target is the little white dot at the edge of the field.

View attachment 578238

View attachment 578237

P
You kill deer with a .223?

i would. its a legal caliber in oregon:)
I shot one in the vitals probably 20 years ago. 75 yds with my red dot sight zeroed perfectly. He twitched stepped forward and walked away. I tracked tiny dots of blood for as long as I could and never found him. I KNOW I hit him with a lung shot and he did not go down or act like he was anything other than shocked that something odd like a loud noise had occurred. My experience and I'll not use the .223 again for large game.

Nosler Partition or Bonded Solid Base. I haven't tried the new Accubond, they're a little too proud of the price. 50 grain TTSX and up to 62 grain, but drive them fast and aim for bone. I'm thinking about my 74 grain ELD-M through the ribs if I draw this year.

You can't kill elk with a 7mm-08. Everyone knows that.

P

She didn't get that memo. When I shopped for her rifle I really had a hard time deciding between 260 and 7mm-08. If I was buying for me it would have been a 308, but the amount of recoil is more than she would be comfortable with. She used to have matching Savage 99s in 243 and 308. Even though the 99 is a bunch heavier it kicked her around and she didn't like it.

On another note, because of the short length of pull on her 243 (cut down stock I would swap to the 308), our grandson will be using that rifle when we mentor hunt this year.

View attachment 578188

Deer ain't hard to kill. 200 yards and in this Superlite in .223 would do it, easy.

If you think you need more juice, a Superlite in 7mm-08 can kill cleanly to 541 yards. Maybe farther, but I haven't tried yet.

View attachment 578190

That's my buddy's boy with his first buck. He used my rifle to kill it. This kid was hitting a 12" gong at 557 yards with my rifle.

The target is the little white dot at the edge of the field.

View attachment 578238

View attachment 578237

P
I sent a young tikka virgin to you for defiling at your alter! Enjoy!

He contacted me. I found him a Superlite for sale on another board for a screaming deal, Talley mounts, no scope. I think he bought it. Next step is reloading!

He was curious about me getting the boot, but he was very respectful about it. I sent him the link from this board, I think that answered his questions. Funny, I got a call from Willametteriveroutlaw this afternoon, I'm still in touch with a few guys over there.

And the virgin isn't that young, he's got 3 years on me!

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads