JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Facing the same issue with my girlfriend. She attended a handgun safety course and has handled a few pistols at the LGS. I've let her shoot my Glock G19, M&P40c, and Taurus G2C.

She likes the Ruger Security 9 compact the best so far.

Her criteria is it must be 9mm, must have good sights, must have a safety, be a semi-auto, and come in a pretty color... :rolleyes:

I would ask your wife what her criteria is and narrow it down to a few choices and let her handle them at an LGS and make up her mind. Women like to shop "hands-on" and form an emotional bond with whatever they are buying.

Very few horrible choices in firearms these days, so not much risk in letting her choose based on her wants.

"Large hands" as in.....

They look like an extra large marshmallow with mini sausages sticking out?

Or.....

Hands like an octopus? Loooong fingers?

Depending on what you/she considers large hands how about a nice .50 cal Desert Eagle?

I have large hands (and a small brain) but I've carried everything from a Chief's Special (only gun I ever pulled on someone in self defense circa 1993) to a full size 1911. My EDCs are either a Para-Hawg 12rd (slightly smaller than a Colt officer), a Colt Defender, a Dan Wesson ECO or a Glock 42. I used to carry a Ruger SR-9c with extended mags in a custom Lou Alessi shoulder rig. I had them make the twin mag carriers extra deep & with extended mags & one in the pipe I think I was carrying 54 rounds.

Wife has same gift of strong hands and despite my best efforts to get her to like medium sized revolvers and Glock 19s, she still much prefers a Glock 43 with Trijicon HD XR orange sights. Can't figure that one one :cool:

I have largish hands (I can almost hold a basketball palm down, with one hand - almost), but I don't care for the squarish grips of a Glock or an FN pistol. I don't like the grips on most 1911s either, not even with Hogue rubber grips.

I prefer the grips on SIG P-2xx classics.

But for each person their preferences will be different, regardless of hand size. Let the lady try different pistols and then choose the one she likes and shoots the best.

First time buyer: Double action revolver. Largest caliber that you are comfortable with. Find an indoor range that rents guns and try one. Bear in mind that if you ever use it in defense, the recoil will not matter.

My girlfriend's parents are both pretty handicapped. Her dad has MS and messed up hands and her mom has cancer and is very weak. She wanted suggestions for a handgun for them. I told her they need a large dog...

Still, she wanted my best advice. So... A handgun with the least amount of recoil and manual manipulation required to operate. Her dad is unable to grasp a slide or insert a magazine, so autoloaders were out. That mean't a revolver. Oh, and they are living on SS and can only afford maybe $400 or less. And cheap ammo.

I suggested a Taurus 942 in .22 WMR with a street price of $350. It's better than nothing, and their only defense currently is a 16yr old cat with attitude problems, so...

Maybe you could break it down a bit?

Semi-auto or Revolver?

Semi-Auto
Double stacked magazine or Single stacked magazine?
DA/SA, DAO, SA?
Full size
Compact size
Mini sized

Revolvers (as an example, using the S&W line)
DA/SA, DAO, SA?
N Frame
L Frame
K Frame
J Frame

Aloha, Mark

take her big hands to NW Armory, or similar, and let her hold a few different models to get at least a basic idea of what feels good- narrow down and see if you can find a range/friends that can let her try a few. Hard right now I know, but trying to guess what might work based on what other people like, (or what you like), is seldom a good idea.
My wife really enjoys shooting my 8 3/8 29-2, she giggles afterwards, but she can't do more than the one cylinder...likes the way the Walther PPQ feels, hates the snappy way it shoots, likes the 1911, but has difficulty racking the slide-

$450 will get you a quality gun at least- I'd give serious consideration to a used one too.

I made a gun pink once. :s0108:

41807AC0-F984-4728-AA41-0A7BEF11277F_1_201_a.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top