JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Is there a unit that can be used both from a home base and or vehicle/mobile?
You can definitely go that route! Just get good antenna and an SMA adapter for the antenna coax and you're all set. Of course, you will need a hand held that has a removable antenna. The GMRS V-1 in the link below will fit the bill. (I have one). Tough little radio and five watts of power and repeater ready. It also has a microphone port on the side so you can use a handheld mic.

Now, why go with a dedicated GMRS radio when you can simply program any of the other dual band radios for GMRS frequencies? For one thing, most dual bad HT's are only FCC certified for dual band use, not GMRS. Another reason is that the antennas are not tuned for GMRS so your performance will suffer.

IMG_20210114_105920.jpg

Last Edited:
The license is simple enough to get, and now, more reasonable in price.

One concern, however, is privacy of the information when getting such a license. I have read basically the same concern on multiple radio discussion websites...

Before continuing, I want to highlight one very important consideration when dealing with FCC licenses. Your call sign and license is public information and is easily searchable in FCC databases and other records. Should you choose to register with your home address, this will be visible to anybody if they have your call sign. Exposing personal information on the internet is a concern now more than ever, so one approach to limiting the amount of personal information in FCC databases is to use a P.O. Box as your contact address. Here is what my GMRS license information looks like when queried in the FCC database -

Last Edited:
The license is simple enough to get, and now, more reasonable in price.

One concern, however, is privacy of the information when getting such a license. I have read basically the same concern on multiple radio discussion websites...

Before continuing, I want to highlight one very important consideration when dealing with FCC licenses. Your call sign and license is public information and is easily searchable in FCC databases and other records. Should you choose to register with your home address, this will be visible to anybody if they have your call sign. Exposing personal information on the internet is a concern now more than ever, so one approach to limiting the amount of personal information in FCC databases is to use a P.O. Box as your contact address. Here is what my GMRS license information looks like when queried in the FCC database - WR*****:
I couldn't agree more!! I always thought that was a dumb move on the part of Uncle Charlie. I cringe when I see call signs on license plates. You might as well just put your name and address on your back window. However, once you get your license set up, you can go in and change it to a place of business or PO box, which is what many people do. That was one thing I was hoping that Ajit Pai would fix.

I had no idea it was so easy to see a license, publicly.

I typed in a call sign to my browser, and voila! I obliterated the visible information before I posted the license.

InkedyNVWELZ_LI.jpg

You can definitely go that route! Just get good antenna and an SMA adapter for the antenna coax and you're all set. Of course, you will need a hand held that has a removable antenna. The GMRS V-1 in the link below will fit the bill. (I have one). Tough little radio and five watts of power and repeater ready. It also has a microphone port on the side so you can use a handheld mic.

Now, why go with a dedicated GMRS radio when you can simply program any of the other dual band radios for GMRS frequencies? For one thing, most dual bad HT's are only FCC certified for dual band use, not GMRS. Another reason is that the antennas are not tuned for GMRS so your performance will suffer.

View attachment 807616 View attachment 807617
Looks good but anything more powerful for both home base and mobile? Thanks...

Technically, yes, the radios need to be F.C.C. Part 95 certified. Is anybody going to check/care? Probably not. I'd rather be compliant myself.

If you're techy at all, I think a commercial rig from Kenwood, Motorola, etc. is a better way to go. The tricky part is that they have to be programmed for GMRS, including the proper bandwidth setting. Also, not all commercial rigs are Part 95 certified so it can be a bit of an exercise figuring that out if it's important to you.

A good source for used commercial gear is used-radios.com .

BTW, the F.C C recently announced that they're cutting the GMRS fee in half soon.

They're simultaneously instituting a new $35 fee for ham licenses, which used to be free.

I've not heard a date when the change will go into effect.

Looks good but anything more powerful for both home base and mobile? Thanks...
For handhelds you probably find that around 5 watts is around the highest. It helps them to keep the compact design of the radios. Dedicated mobile units like the ones from Bafengtech and Midland reach 50 watts, but they are 12v powered. There may be higher powered GMRS HT's out there, Duckduckgo is your friend....

Last Edited:

View attachment 807617

What would the expected range of this hand held be in the suburbs or city or county? Ideas?

What would the expected range of this hand held be in the suburbs or city or county? Ideas?
Under ideal conditions such as from mountain top to mountain top, 10-30 miles. Back in civilization where there are buildings, power lines, dense foliage and terrain issues, maybe 1-5 miles at best. Doesn't matter what brand radio, they are all limited by the laws of physics. The better your understanding of radio wave propagation, the better you will be able to set your expectations. These problems can sometimes be overcome by better antenna, more height, trying a different frequency. You will see all kinds of claims from manufacturers that their radios can transmit 30, 40 or 50 miles, etc. Please understand those claims are for marketing purposes. While under the most ideal of laboratory conditions that may be true, but most of us don't exist in those perfect radio transmitting environments. For most of us, when we key the mic, our signal gets absorbed and deflected by trees, cars, houses, loose robots, etc. A handheld radio pushing 4-8 watts should work fairly well in most cases though. If you mate it up with a vehicle antenna it will perform even better.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top