JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have to admit carrying with the protruding red firing pin marker makes me nervous. I have carried Smith Wesson 915/4006/5906 with round in the chanber, but these were single/double action hammer fired handguns, not the striker fired. I felt fine with these. I have carried CZ 75/85 1990 vintage without safety and without round in chamber and felt fine.

Am I missing something with respect to safety or should I just ignore my anxiety about carrying the Springfield XDS subcompact 40 with a round in the chamber and go about my business??

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to admit carrying with the protruding red firing pin marker makes me nervous. I have carried Smith Wesson 915/4006/5906 with round in the changer, but these were single/double action hammer fired handguns, not the striker fired. I felt fine with these. I have carried CZ 75/85 1990 vintage without safety and without round in chamber and felt fine.

Am I missing something with respect to safety or should I just ignore my anxiety about carrying the Springfield XDS subcompact 40 with a round in the chamber and go about my business??

Doesn't the XDs also have a grip safety too? I carry w/ one in the pipe and I'm not concerned in the least.

Without a round in the chamber you have a gun shaped brick.
With that grip safety you'll be fine.
Just purchase a good holster, if its leather inspect it over time to make sure its not molding itself into the trigger guard.. It has happened to people.

Now if you had a glock.. Maybe.. Those triggers in a bad holster dont mix. With the kydex though it solves that for you and protects it from any possible ND.

I have to admit carrying with the protruding red firing pin marker makes me nervous. I have carried Smith Wesson 915/4006/5906 with round in the changer, but these were single/double action hammer fired handguns, not the striker fired. I felt fine with these. I have carried CZ 75/85 1990 vintage without safety and without round in chamber and felt fine.

Different people have a different "comfort level" with guns. 1911's are a great example of this. I have long carried one hammer back. Don't even think about it. To many this just scares hell out of them. Rather than tell them to "get over it" I always told them find another gun. If YOU are not comfortable with what you carry it makes a HUGE difference in how effective you will be. Yes the pistol you mention is safe. NO ONE should carry an auto with an empty chamber. If this pistol is not "comfortable" for you then by all means buy something else. There is so many choices out there that there is no reason to use something that you are not 100% comfortable with. Remember the old first rule of a gun fight. Have a gun. What others think of your choice who gives a damn? Carry something you like that makes you comfortable.

Without a round in the chamber you have a gun shaped brick.
With that grip safety you'll be fine.
Just purchase a good holster, if its leather inspect it over time to make sure its not molding itself into the trigger guard.. It has happened to people.

Now if you had a glock.. Maybe.. Those triggers in a bad holster dont mix. With the kydex though it solves that for you and protects it from any possible ND.

Curious, what does that mean: "If it's leather inspect it over time to make sure it is not molding itself into the trigger guard...". The holster that I have was built by Black Hills Leather and the fit of the XDS is very "snug" and the gun and trigger guard fit in the holster very tight. Concerns???

Chambered. Get a solid kydex holster and a quality gun belt. Don't skimp on these two things,you get what you pay for --->Peace of mind.

With these two things the gun will be very secure and will never go off unless you deholster and pull the trigger.

Exactly.
Get it in your head that pulling the trigger makes it go off.
Don't pull the trigger.. unless you mean to.
That is always one of my favorite lines. Someone sets off a round, stands there all red faced, and says, "the gun went off accidentally". I always say they must have thought they had one of those Windows guns. The one where when you pull the trigger a little bubble pops up. Says; Are you sure you want to do this?

Curious, what does that mean: "If it's leather inspect it over time to make sure it is not molding itself into the trigger guard...". The holster that I have was built by Black Hills Leather and the fit of the XDS is very "snug" and the gun and trigger guard fit in the holster very tight. Concerns???
The holster might "mold" itself around the trigger such that it might go off while holstering or during daily activity.
Some holsters are more prone to this and some are not.
As said, inspect and know your holster.

If you really feel uncomfortable, get a revolver.. O snap, they just have a trigger for a "safety"!.
(well, there is that smith lemon squeezer but you know..)

Having an empty chamber is like jumping out of an airplane before putting on your 'chut!
You may have it on you, but having to draw, cycle the slide, aim,and fire, are FOUR time consuming things to do when your very life depends on your actions! Very few pistols these days are unsafe to carry chambered, if this one scares ya, it's not going to work and you need to get another that doesn't scare ya!
Like others have said, a good quality Holster and Belt will really play into the safety and ease of carry for you! Some holsters need to be inspected and tuned over time to keep retension good, and to prevent obstruction of the trigger!

So why force this? There are plenty of other options from various SA/DA platforms to other striker guns that have a real frame mounted safety (M&P comes to mind), to a 1911. Why not get one of those?

Ive been known to appendix carry an XDs in .45...

So I have to ask, you understood the manual of arms for the XDs before you purchased it, yes? That is has a grip safety, a safe action trigger and a firing pin block...

But now your uncomfortable with said manual of arms? Has something happened that has caused you to become uncomfortable with it?

Just wondering...

Most of the time, for me, it is loaded chamber. But if you have young kids, I come down on the side of empty chamber even if it is harder to get the gun into action for that (exceedingly rare) defensive encounter.

Kids should be taught about guns according to Ayoob's plan, but I have my doubts that works so well for the youngest kids. And, watch out for visiting kids too.

When my son was a little guy, I cleared my 1911 and handed it to him. I asked him if he could take the safety off and pull the trigger. He could. I asked him if he could cock the hammer from a hammer down position. He could. I asked him if he could rack the slide. He could not. I carried it empty chamber after that, for at least a few years.

Of course if you are one of those perfect human beings, who NEVER leaves a gun that could EVER be accessed by a kid, you can ignore my advice.

This is a subject that gets a lot of people hot. I don't know why. Everybody should do what they think best, that's all. If I lived in a really dangerous part of town, I might come down on the other side on this question.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top