JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I tried a cheapazzed generator on a two week Elk camp it seized up half way through the third night. And yes I did check/top off the oil before starting every night.

I'm also a photographer and the style of photography I do requires studio lights on location. The lights I use are from a company called Paul Buff and they run on regular household 110/115 volt AC. So using them in the field requires suitable batteries. They make a line of batteries for them called Vagabond and its a fairly capable battery while still being very portable with two AC outlets. I've used it camping several times and can get about 7 to 7.5 hours, not quite a full night but long enough. It has interchangeable batteries so if I'm needing it for more than a night or two I just bring extra batteries for the unit. Longer than that means finding a way to charge them thankfully most campgrounds usually have somewhere to plug them into. I have used a solar charger and if the weather is nice you can charge one of the batteries up in about 2 days of daylight, so three batteries and the solar charger can keep me going fairly indefinitely.

And my day job is IT so I come up with a fair number of APC branded battery backups. I have one that came out of a server room, had to replace one of the 4 batteries in it and it runs my CPAP for 3+ days. But its about 175 lbs and sits under the nightstand. I have my CPAP plugged into it in case the power goes out and it kicks on instantly so I don't even stir. Unfortunately its not very portable.

I've been using CPAP for a good 18 years and early on when the kids were young I had a luggage cart with two car batteries and a power inverter. It worked and I could go 3 or 4 days with good batteries but again it was heavier than snot but back then I didn't mind so much.

I just take a spare car battery with me. Hook up an inverter to an always hot cigar lighter (key stays off). I run an extension cord to the tent and my Resmed Auto Sense 10. Start the truck in the morning for a while to recharge. If the battery is too low to start, (about 25% of the time), I use the spare battery to Jump start the truck.
Inverter is quiet enough with the windows rolled up, with the extension cord hanging out the window.
They have some new smaller (less draw) units now for traveling, have not bought one yet.

Since I have an RV (Travel Trailer) It is a simple process. I run my Honda 2000 which runs all electrical appliances overnight, C-Pap, Furnace & Coffee Maker and runs 10 to 12 hours on Eco mode which is very quiet. Sometimes we'll hook two RVs to it which will cut the run time. 15 years, same gen!

I started looking into this for hunting season. I use a BiPap. The power cord converts power down to 12v all I need is a battery($120+-), power cord from Phillips (amazon-$14) and a alligator clips to cigarette adaptor (Amazon - $8) and I'm set. No inverter needed. A 75ah battery will give 11+ hours.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top