JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sold my Aimpoints, ( T1, M2 & M3s ), on the EE here and switched over to Holosun 512s and one 510. Switched out RMRs for Holosun 507s on my pistols.
Th eonly other red dot I have is an old Trijicon SRS...

Holosuns have the crispest reticle I've used, ( changable between dot, circle dot or circle ) least tinted, large eotech type glass, instant shake awake, 50,000 hour battery and it switches from battery to solar when it's bright enough....Also relatively affordable....

Zero at 50 yrds and that's real worls good enough out to 200

Sold my Aimpoints, ( T1, M2 & M3s ), on the EE here and switched over to Holosun 512s and one 510. Switched out RMRs for Holosun 507s on my pistols.
Th eonly other red dot I have is an old Trijicon SRS...

Holosuns have the crispest reticle I've used, ( changable between dot, circle dot or circle ) least tinted, large eotech type glass, instant shake awake, 50,000 hour battery and it switches from battery to solar when it's bright enough....Also relatively affordable....

Zero at 50 yrds and that's real worls good enough out to 200

Thank you for the information. Holosun is a new name to me, but from what I've been reading on the internet these seem to be very highly regarded. I'm going to look at these and believe I'll also start at 50 yard zero if like you say that still brings 200 within reach, any further and I'd just up to my M4 or patrol carbine.

Thank you for the information. Holosun is a new name to me, but from what I've been reading on the internet these seem to be very highly regarded. I'm going to look at these and believe I'll also start at 50 yard zero if like you say that still brings 200 within reach, any further and I'd just up to my M4 or patrol carbine.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I have EoTech on the AR-Pistols/SBRs. I have the Holosun 510C (Red) on my MP5 and HK-94 (9mm). The reticle is the same as the EoTech, so my eyes/brain only need to accommodate one type of reticle across multiple weapons.

If you can't find a used EoTech (~$300) the 510C (red or green) is a good alternative (IMO) at $300ish.

Just picked up my first AR Pistol and would really appreciate recommendations for red dots from other AR pistol owners. I plan to use iron sights for a while to attain some level of competency with the firearm, then move to the red dot. Also, what range are these being sighted in at? AR pistol barrel length can very from what I'm seeing from on the low side of around 9.5," to what appears to be almost SBR length at 12.5". What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
JP9
Is this in 556, 300blk, 9mm? Calibers can change optimal sight in ranges, as well as purpose. 9mm might be best sighted to 15 yards or out to 25. 556 likely best at 50-100. 300 black 25-50.

Railed? A2 sighted barrel? If it's got a nice long rail on it running iron sights becomes a bit nicer with the longer sight radius.

There are so many options now for red dots. Pricing from $ to $$$$$. Some weigh nothing, some are better suited for a tank

A basic tube dot like an Aimpoint or Holosun or Vortex or Sig could very well be completely adequate.

You can get some with range estimating reticles for certain calibers and barrel lengths too.

Iron sights are perfectly fine too. I ran irons on an SBR for years before breaking down and purchasing an etched reticle prism optic.

What caliber of AR pistol? Might affect people's answers.

I put a SIG Romeo5 "red dot" sight on my 9mm AR pistol along with MagPul folding iron sights. Since this is a 9mm both the red dot and the iron sights are zeroed dead on at 25 yards, but I have shot it effectively out to about 70 yards.

I put my green dot MRO on my pistol. It came off of my MP5 so it has the QD low mount. If the optic ever goes out, I got magpul flip up backups and I'll pop the optic off.

AimPoint PRO or a micro AimPoint would be a good option as well.
20201207_195707.jpg

Zero at 50 yards if you can, 25 if you cant get 50 and learn/know your holds.

Red dots;
Aimpoint H1/2 if you never plan on getting NV, T1/2 if you do. Can't afford Aimpoint? Holosun clones 403/503 are surprisingly durable and use the same mounts with the same 50k hour battery life.
Aimpoint also has the CompM4/5 line and the Aimpoint PRO which are larger bodied but use AAA batteries and very commonly found mounts. These are significantly cheaper than the H/T lines of optics.
Trijicon MRO has a huge window, excellent battery life, Night Vision mode, Plenty of mount options and durable.

Holographic:
Eotech is the gold standard here. Holosun and Leuopold build them as well, but there's a reason they're not as prevalent. Holo's are also great for astigmatism-ridden shooters as they don't bloom nearly as much as a projected LED emitter based red dot. Battery life will not be as good as LED based red dots.

The 512 could be had, second hand for $350. Hell, ill sell you mine. Uses AA batteries, very tough.
The XPS line, XPS 2 and XPS3 (NV) Use cr123 batteries, just as tough. These are both absolute mount height to absolute cowitness with your irons.
The EXPS line, EXPS2 and EXPS3 (NV) Use a lower l/3 height, meaning your irons will be in the lower 1/3rd of the window and wont obscure your sight picture. They are still there and usable in the VERY UNLIKELY event your optic shiits the bed.
The NV compatible models are more expensive, obviously.

All of these are the kinds of optics you buy once, cry once and will probably never need to "upgrade". Unless you find yourself with NV. Even then the lowest setting on the 2 series Eotech is usable under nightvision.

Keep in mind with EOTECH the models are suffixed with a -x to signify the dot type. an XPS2-0 means its the circle dot reticle, the XPS2-1 is simply a dot, while the XPS2-2 has TWO dots in the circle, the XPS2-4 has four dots. Be very careful what you're ordering.

The number and difference of opinions on dots is MASSIVE and I'm sure ill get crucified for not whole-heartedly endorsing Holosun, SIG, Vortex, Leuopold or some jUsT aS gUd brand. Do your own research and although the prevalence of one brand may be indicative of its superiority, never just go with the flow. I'd advise actually SHOOTING some to see what you like, and for the love of God, don't buy one just to be a contrarian or "different". I cant tell you how many people I've seen who said they got X or Y simply because everyone else has A and B. Also, if its on a gun you may conceivably use to defend the sole life of you or others, consider NOT skimping or buying something synonymous with "budget".

It's hard to go wrong with an Aimpoint pro. A Holosun or a Sig Romeo 5 is a good alternative if you want something a little cheaper

I go out of my way not to buy products made in China, because F' those guys. If I'm step down from an Aimpoint it is to the MRO, if going further down then its Primary Arms SLx series, at least they're made in the Philippines.

I got one of these, I like the auto on function is handy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top