JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love my 1911s. All .45s. There's a Dan Wesson Valor out there somewhere with my name on it. But it's not for everybody. I reload so I tailor my target rounds to be a lot softer shooting. My all time favorite .45 ACP target round is a 185 grain Berry's plated hollow base round nose bullet over 5.6 grains of Winchester 231 with a case length of 1.245. Accurate but really easy to manage. You might think about reloading. Let's you be all that you can be. And before you get the wrong idea, I'm not ex-Army. I'm a retired Air Force Chief Master Sergeant (E-9). Our slogan was "Aim High", which I used to point out to my commanders conveniently didn't mention where we actually ended up.

I am reloading .223 and .308, any just bought a 7x57 to replace one that was stolen years ago. Plan on reloading that one too. I have a Lee handloader and 3 position turret press. What dies/equipment do I need to reload .45? I have shot handload wadcutters in 45 when stationed at Sembach AB in Germany in the 60's, they were not full power and were comfortable to practice with and shoot. However ball ammo was quite different. Never thought of reloading them myself though.

I am reloading .223 and .308, any just bought a 7x57 to replace one that was stolen years ago. Plan on reloading that one too. I have a Lee handloader and 3 position turret press. What dies/equipment do I need to reload .45? I have shot handload wadcutters in 45 when stationed at Sembach AB in Germany in the 60's, they were not full power and were comfortable to practice with and shoot. However ball ammo was quite different. Never thought of reloading them myself though.

Most die sets are three-die sets (full length desizing/decapping die, powder through expanding die, and bullet seating die. The three die versions handle bullet seating and taper crimping all in the last die. Lee makes a 4th die, a factory crimp die, that allows you to adjust and fine tune your taper crimp after you seat the bullet. I like the four-die setup and have a Lee Classic Turret (4-die turret head) that pumps out rounds plenty fast for me. But you can do it with your three die turret if you just loaded all your bullets through the first three dies of the set, then screwed in the factory crimp die and used it as a single station to go back and finish them. Or you could just disengage the auto-indexer (if your press has one) and use it as a single station all the way through. Fun, though.

...... when stationed at Sembach AB in Germany in the 60's......

I'm a retired Chief Master Sergeant (retired 1993). I was stationed in Berlin for 11 years (early 1976-late 1982, early 1987-late 1991) and spent a bit of time TDY down at Sembach. Berlin was great but I really envied my friends living on the Hunsruck (can't figure out how to make the last U an umlaut). Man, that was one beautiful place. I was actually scheduled to go back there when I came back to Europe in 1987 but my assignment got cancelled when I got promoted. It worked out ok, though, since I got to be in Berlin when the Berlin Wall fell in 1989. Nothing better than being in the middle of history.

I would recommend renting or shooting some friends 9mm to see what you like. Also if it is for everyday carry you want to make sure it is light enough and thin enough that you will actually carry it. Then train with it, work out scenarios and draw and shoot drills. As long as it is dependable, accurate and you have confidence in it, it is the right choice. I like Sig, Kahr, Glock, XD, CZ, 1911's, M&P's and Beretta to name a few.

Tokarev Czar
The Tokarev Nation

I like the Ruger LC9.

I Just shot a LC9 for the first time. It's strictly a carry piece. The trigger pull/reset on it is a mile long. Out of 150 rounds we shot through it with my friend, we had it FTF on 7+1, FTF due to light primer strike, FTE, the gun feels cheap, rattles like a toy and the magazine feels like it was going to fall apart as did the gun. I've shot glocks, sigs, HKs, several 1911s and I gotta say that LC9 is one of the worst handguns made. That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Thanks again for all your recommendations. As mentioned earlier, I decided on a Gen 4 Glock 17. Today I took it to the range the first time, and I love it! I put 150 rounds through it, and it felt like I had owned that gun for a long time (which is weird because I had never owned any gun for a long time).

One question: I have a devil of a time getting more than 15 rounds into the magazines. Am I supposed to use brute force to squeeze them in? I didn't go beyond 15 today because I was worried about damaging the magazine, which was probably silly. Is there a trick to this?

Thanks again for all your recommendations. As mentioned earlier, I decided on a Gen 4 Glock 17. Today I took it to the range the first time, and I love it! I put 150 rounds through it, and it felt like I had owned that gun for a long time (which is weird because I had never owned any gun for a long time).

One question: I have a devil of a time getting more than 15 rounds into the magazines. Am I supposed to use brute force to squeeze them in? I didn't go beyond 15 today because I was worried about damaging the magazine, which was probably silly. Is there a trick to this?

Fill them up and let them sit for a couple of days, that will loosen up the springs. When new they can be a bear to load don't be afraid to force them.

Feel free to use your mag loader tool that came with your Glock. I used to use it to load my factory 22 and 33 round mags but since I left them loaded for a while the springs are broken in and I can load my mags without using the loading tool. You should get some factory 33 round mags for that G17.... you never know if they will make them illegal and it's so fun to shoot with 33 rounds in one mag lol.
Glock Magazines
(Glock 18 factory 33 round mags for $32 with free s&h)

I purchased 10 or so of the Asian drop free mags from CDN. They are great mags for practice reloads and range use. I have NEVER had a mag failure with them. Congrats on the new G17!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top