JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Let me get this right, 9mmGuy is asking for a suggestion about what 9mm to buy because he doesn't have much experience with 9mm?:s0114:

Few questions that would help narrow down your choices:

1. Do you plan on carrying the gun or just for home defense and range?

2. Do you have a preference as to firing system? DA/SA, SAO, DAO, etc?

3. Besides the FNP-9 what kind of experience do you have with firearms?

First of all, thanks, very much for all your feedback, everyone. Much appreciated!

Let me get this right, 9mmGuy is asking for a suggestion about what 9mm to buy because he doesn't have much experience with 9mm?:s0114:
I'm even worse with the other calibers. ;) Good questions, though. Here we go:

Few questions that would help narrow down your choices:

1. Do you plan on carrying the gun or just for home defense and range?

2. Do you have a preference as to firing system? DA/SA, SAO, DAO, etc?

3. Besides the FNP-9 what kind of experience do you have with firearms?

1. No carry at this point. However, this might well be my only handgun for a while, so the more an all-around talent, the better. So, I would like to avoid excessive size, too many fancy features, etc.

2. SA/DA or DAO.

3. Random. The FNP-9 is the only one I really and distinctly remember.

Glock or M&P would probably be the safe choice.

But i'm really loving my new Caracal's. Got the F( Full size) 3-4 weeks ago and just picked up the C (compact) today, got to say I really love how the C fits in my hands.

IMAG0720.jpg

You can get a Glock for $398 with a LEO discount, but mine had factory night sites so that was almost $60 more. The discount covers cops, security, EMT etc. If you have a friend or family who can help you with the discount, assuming you can't.... that would be the best way for a great gun. I own a Glock and a XD and I am happy with both. The XD does have the best trigger out of the Glock or S&W M&P serious if you ask me. Also check on bud's gun shop (google them) and they have nice prices with free shipping. I got my Glock with the LEO discount from Keith's guns. I got my XD40 for under $500 using my discount from bud's.... and yes that is including the transfer fee and the background check... in my hands under $500 with three mags, case, all the XD goodies.

I recommend Springfield XD or XDm. I have one each. With over 700+ rounds fired, they are accurate, reliable, never a failure of any kind. Plus you get the case with all the good stuff!
Good Luck! Barney

When I was looking, I went to a shop, and posed the question. The guy at the shop offered great suggestions... XDm, Glock 17 or 19, FNP 9 (not FNX 9), Walther PPQ, or S&W M&P 9.

I took note, and spent a month looking at reviews of each. During the process, it became evident why those suggestions were given. All of them are great weapons. That said, one of them stood out, because every single person who reviewed it (including known Glock fanboys) positively raved about it. I found zero complaints, and mountains of praise.

So, I bought a Walther PPQ. I am very happy that I did!

You should really go to a place that rents firearms and try them out. I've made a few purchases that I had wished that I shot them first! I have a few handguns in 9mm, s&w, ruger, glock. I have never had any problems with them, and I like them for different reasons, it really depends on what you intend to use the handgun for. My first 9mm was a S&W Sigma. It's a lot like a glock,( in fact I think Glock sued them over the design) But a lot less expensive. It's my opinion that they are underated for the value. I've shot over 500 rounds, never had an issue, and it's pretty accurate. I saw them on sale at nw armory for $279 last week, but I think they're $299 now. That would leave room in the budget to puchase ammo, holster, etc.

As 9mmguy, wouldn't you be the authority on the subject?:eek: If you're looking for forum bait you could be more specific as to what niche you are searching to fill... Find what pistol points on target instinctualty and roll with it. If the FN felt good then you've found the answer. It's not a bad choice; but on second thought... It's not a Glock.;)

I love my XDm 3.8 compact (9mm), and it was $650 in the bi-tone/stainless, the all black is $600, and the XD's are $80-$100 less. I think the match barrel, and better grips on the XDM are worth the extra cash

Springfield XD, Smith MP, Glock 19. Those are the ones I would look at in your price range for your intended use. As other said, you won't know which one is right for you until you at least handle them, much better if you can rent and shoot them at a range. Take your time in deciding.

Easy answer: Ruger SR9c. For about $400 you get one of the best 9mm pistols available, a 10 round and a 17 round magazine, and famous Ruger customer service (if you ever need it). Great pistol for concealed carry with one of the best triggers going.

I suck with a pistol, but my SR9c makes me into a good shot.

2.jpg

2.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews