Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Recommendations for a 22 for my kiddo

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by MarkSBG, May 28, 2009.

1. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I have a 6.5 year old daughter and I wanted to buy a 22 bolt action rifle to get her started. I would like to get something that is not adult sized and would like to keep costs down a bit.

Any suggestions for make/model for a kids 22?

Thanks!
    MarkSBG

2. Anoldbaldman

Anoldbaldman Oregon Member

Crickett 22 is a great starter rifle. Should be around $125 new

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I agree ;)

4. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I have this posted here
    http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4341

the stock was a little long for my 6yr daughter and i was about to cut it down but read only 45000 of these were made but if you were to cut 1-2 inches off the stock it could reattached with screws when she grows into it

it was designed as a youth rifle as it automatically sets the safty as each rd is loaded simply pull the shell down feed ramp pull and release the lever which sets the safty then it drops the shell out the bottom

+ you can't go wrong with a early winchester

5. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

I looked at the Crickett, and was unimpressed. I got my daughter one of these
    http://www.henryrepeating.com/h001y_leveryouth.cfm
    She loves it.

ETA: let me know if you need a FFL to order that for you. I know a few good dealers on the west side. No need to pay retail.

6. kenr74

kenr74 Oregon Active Member

My boys are using a Mossberg Plinkster 802. I heard good and bad things about it before buying but found one reasonably cheap so I went for it. I wouln't recommend the package that comes with a scope(scope is junk) but the gun itself is actually fairly nice. I was shooting 2" groups from a 100 yards with it last weekend so not great but accurate enough for our use.

7. Muddman

Muddman Aloha Member

8. Bajablast

Bajablast Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Got my kids a Henry from Nhuman as his kids have outgrown it. I believe that it is better quality than the Crickett, and has better sights on it, meaning easier to use in my opinion.

Just my 2 cents.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck

9. lucky guy

lucky guy Sisters Active Member

Another vote for the Henry, my daughter's has great sights, very safe, and accurate too. (Dad, can I have my gun back now?) :thumbup:

10. Lars

Lars Clackamas Active Member

I got my son a henry also. He is left handed so most bolts were out of the question. I like to shoot it and most people comment on how smooth it is.:thumbup:

11. VinnieBoomBah

VinnieBoomBah Hillsboro OR Active Member

Forgot about the Lefty thing. My daughter is in her right mind as well, so this is perfect for her. As for "outgrowing it?" :confused: Are you :nuts: My wife can out shoot me with that one, and our daughter will teach her kids to shoot with it.

12. MarkSBG

Thanks all for your opinions. I am considering the Henry and some others. If any of you have one that has been outgrown, please let me know.

Thanks again.

13. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

A chipmunk just popped up for sale in the classifieds - rifles and shotguns. Don't know if it's the right type...

14. MarkSBG

Thanks, I sent him a pm... Great timing, huh?

15. Yankeefan

Yankeefan Southern Oregon Member

I'll be buying my daughters each one these this year when they turn 5.

http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=5

It is the CZ 452 Scout model. I wanted something that had the magazine capacity of 5 or 10 rounds but something that would teach them the basics of shooting and not just pulling the trigger as fast as they could.

16. MarkSBG

That is a fine looking rifle any young 'un (or adult for that matter) would be happy to have. Thanks for the input.