JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pump over semi if you plan on using a variety of loads or mixing a magazine.

Proof mini shells before betting your life on them, I hear problems with feeding.

These minis are a tad longer and run reliably, I hear. From War Wolf Munitions in Idaho. Pretty hot, though.

29E62F9F-0383-4A02-944E-D52589348D27.jpeg

Mossberg 930 or a shockwave for me. Shockwave is much more portable if you aren't averse to a pump. Also the minishell slugs still pack a wallop. With minis and a 1 round extension, mine is a 10+1.

These are not very plentiful right now, but here is one at an honest price...
870 Police Magnum $299
In stock at post time.
The basic 870 is 4 in the tube one in the chamber.
But you can buy a tube to add 2 or 3 or even 4 more ROUNDS.

870 forever. Durable. Steel. Balanced. Your grandkids will be shooting it fifty years from now. The only other gun I will consider would be a model 12, but dang nice ones are getting pricey.

If she can handle it, 12 GA magnum 00 Buckshot or rifled slugs are your best bet, if you're worried about bears.

A shoulder stock is essential for a serious defense gun imo. When you are delivering that kind of muzzle energy, the likelihood of a malfunction with a semi auto is very likely. I have an 1100 that would malfunction if I hip fired it. You also need to carry extra o rings for the semi auto, if you get dirt or grime in the gun, I'm always losing track of mine.

Mine is set up HD, that gun would be a holy terror in a gunfight with slugs or buckshot. I keep a combination in mine.

An 870 or a 500 should do just fine.

A friend of mine just picked up a Maverick 88 very inexpensive and generally regarded as a reliable defense gun for the budget minded, it is a similar configuration you are talking about, it has a pistol grip and can accept a variety of folding or rigid stocks.

FWIW-A full sized .44 mag with a 6"barrel has very tolerable recoil and can be quickly drawn.

Some good recommendations here... check out the 12ga Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500s. Ive used, qualified and carried both professionally. The available add-ons like sights, extended tubes, slings etc are widely available.
Ive owned a 12ga Savage 67. Fewer (if any) add-ons made for this weapon.. and it has, as I recall, only a single arm between the pump and the breech block, which can break under stress.. I wouldnt touch it unless it was the only firearm available and the excrement has hit the fan.. just sayin, YMMV...

A shoulder stock is essential for a serious defense gun imo. When you are delivering that kind of muzzle energy, the likelihood of a malfunction with a semi auto is very likely. I have an 1100 that would malfunction if I hip fired it. You also need to carry extra o rings for the semi auto, if you get dirt or grime in the gun, I'm always losing track of mine.

My 1301 will function shooting it with one hand like a pistol. I use to have an 1187P and it soured me on autoloading shotguns for a long time. Anymore I believe most people under estimate the reliability of today's modern autoloaders and over estimate the reliability of pumps and are not considering human error of short stroking the action. I've used the 500/590/870 for years but anymore I'll choose my 1301 any day of the week.

Some good recommendations here... check out the 12ga Remington 870 and the Mossberg 500s. Ive used, qualified and carried both professionally. The available add-ons like sights, extended tubes, slings etc are widely available.
Ive owned a 12ga Savage 67. Fewer (if any) add-ons made for this weapon.. and it has, as I recall, only a single arm between the pump and the breech block, which can break under stress.. I wouldnt touch it unless it was the only firearm available and the excrement has hit the fan.. just sayin, YMMV...
I bought a Stephens 320 because it was super cheap. They are notorious for having the spot welds fail on the slide bars. My Dad has just picked up a brand new Ruger LC-9, His blood stains on the box are still there after he got slide bit. The take up didn't bother me and I was comfortable with the break and the recoil so he gave it to me. I presented him with the Stephens with full disclosures about the reported failures out of the box. We are both still quite content with the trade.

Go with a 12 guage magnum? What brand? Thinking of remote wilderness camping with a woman where 4 footed bears and wolves are known as well as two footed drinking nutjobs travel with pickups. About 30 miles off road and 60-70 from the law. Better go with a 20 guage magnum? What brand?
I carry an AK as a rule, tho a 12 ga 870 w/ extended mag tube isnt out of the question. ALWAYS backed up with a .45acp or .44 Redhawk. A maggie is unnecessary, there are plenty of buckshot and slug loads in 2&3/4" which weigh and kick less. Ive shot a couple bears with 2&3/4" loads and the bears didnt know the difference. If you do use slugs remember the sights, might want to get a slug barrel.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top