JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of these come with 8 round tube capacity or 6; given the context would six rounds be more than enough or if I am going to do the buy, just go for the 8 round out of the gate? I have a 20 guage that takes 3" magnum rounds; would that work just as well? I think the pump tube is 5 rounds. The 20 that I have is a 1960s era Savage 67; perfect condition. What do you think. I am up for semi or pump.
Tell you what, I like that Savage 67, owned one in 12ga, got rid of it after I moved to Colorado and no longer hunted with a shotgun. Replaced it years later with an 870 12 for bunny and bird hunting.
I should think that 20ga with slugs or buck would do what you had in mind as protection... Looking for something in a 20ga "riot gun" and retiring my 12's because of the weight and the kick on my old bod...

Seriously this is all I would need image.jpg

20g will kill but it's about half a 12g. 12g has more options that are locally available. It depends on personal preference. All so consider if a wife or kid will be using it

870s are 4 plus 1, you can add magazine extensions of plus 1, 2 for 18 barrels and plus 3 for 20" barrels
Carried a "gunsmith improved" 12ga 20" 870 for field security at a large rural park in Colorado. It retired with me. Still considering a 20ga semi as my house gun if I can find one with a mag extension.

Last Edited:
Is it a really a riot gun if it can't take a 20 round drum mag? ;)

Saiga 12 :)

My first 12 gauge was a Remington 870 with an extended tube - 7+1 rounds. It would seem that or a Mossberg 590 would fit the criteria you specified, but if I was genuinely concerned about 4 legged animals and 2 legged varmints out in the woods I would lean toward a semi-auto rifle in .308
Yep for riots and zombies nothing beats the saiga 12 or clone. About the same rate of fire as an AR and with a good compensator recoil is almost nothing with trap shells and mild with high brass. They are incredibly fun to shoot. Very reliable. Heavy if doing any hiking though. Emptied a drum of trap loads into a reactive target the other day and laughed my a$$ off. :p

Video from internet.
Random video I found that is representative of the mild recoil if using an effective brake.

Last Edited:
Yep for riots and zombies nothing beats the saiga 12 or clone. About the same rate of fire as an AR and with a good compensator recoil is almost nothing with trap shells and mild with high brass. They are incredibly fun to shoot. Very reliable. Heavy if doing any hiking though. Emptied a drum of trap loads into a reactive target the other day and laughed my a$$ off. :p

Video from internet.
Indeed, except it is sad that MD arms isn't making that drum anymore at the last time I checked. It's a great drum.

Video from internet.
Random video I found that is representative of the mild recoil if using an effective brake.
Is that an AK knock off? It has the AK-clack the rifle is noted for.

What makes them be able to be 1/3 the cost of a Saiga?
Made in China by factory that has been making AKs for 50 years or so. Buds gun shop had them for $308 not long ago. The left side charging version costs a bit more I think $379 is what I saw it for.

My recommendation for lynx 12 or saiga 12 is buy a good brake (ie consider a muzzle brake part of the cost of the gun). Completely makes the gun imo because recoil is reduced by up to70% depending on brake and what load. Sds howitzer type
Brake (a GK copy) like that shown in the 2 pics in the post above is $59 and the best one for rise reduction is the V6 (shown in second video) at $130.

One study from YouTube FYI:
7C398868-5010-410B-9B18-953425388A37.png
468EB554-707B-4756-A2D6-711302A4B2BD.png
A different study from YouTube. The little white or colored dots show the max rise/rearward travel.
CCB61BBF-01FD-45A1-B20C-1D18271BC129.jpeg
B3AAD64C-94E2-45C2-9F10-E996F91DB854.jpeg

Last Edited:
Go with a 12 guage magnum? What brand? Thinking of remote wilderness camping with a woman where 4 footed bears and wolves are known as well as two footed drinking nutjobs travel with pickups. About 30 miles off road and 60-70 from the law. Better go with a 20 guage magnum? What brand?
Wilderness campsite with woman, bears, and wolves...well..okay...I guess. Who am I to pass judgement on anyone's...preferences. Add drinking human nutjobs? Probably singing loudly off-key and vomiting all over the place while woman tries to do I don't want to think too much about what with wolves. And the bears are into my pack gobbling all my food? Deal killer. I'm staying home!

I'd like to get one!
Mine sure has been fun. FYI Atlantic firearms has the lynx 12 left side charging version for $379. That version also has a pic rail on the dust cover. Buds was cheapest I saw for right side charging at $308.

Some info for the stuff on the one shown in pics above if interested: I opted for the right side charging version and installed a Monstrum tactical handguard ($44 from monstrum tactical) which has 2 lengths for the top pic rail and has a quad rail for the handguard. Red dot sits a bit high on it though so need a cheek riser on the stock.

Red dot was $12ish. So far it is holding up to 12 gauge abuse (fwiw).

SDS muzzle brake was $59 at gun zone deals. Be aware It is a heavy steel one which makes front heavy which I don't mind and probably even helps some with recoil. Aluminum versions are also available (maybe from Carolina shooter supply?). V6 muzzle brake I didn't buy due to cost but it is around $130.

Drum mags are a bit less expensive at gun zone deals. Regular stick mags (8, 10, 12 round) can be found in various places. Atlantic has 10 rounders for $30 (lynx 12 takes any saiga 12 mags and accessories but not Vepyr mags/accessories).

As far as furniture it takes regular AK stocks and grips (not Vepyr). I assume regular ak handguards would have to be modified to fit but did not research that. Magpul Zhukov stock, grips shown are on the pics above but magpul is spendy.

Can customize to your preferences with standard ak stuff. Some of the more exotic handguards (mostly from Carolina shooter supply where anything is very expensive Imo) are spendy. Some random examples I found when determining what I wanted:

91A6D3B6-DE97-4ACF-B06B-6FC8D0F0C0D8.jpeg
Monstrum tactical handguard
E98E1F2E-7D4C-4C3A-9EA6-EE69611ADA88.jpeg
06934357-6B0B-467B-B37B-D65ED1EA5A0D.jpeg
45C1473D-503B-4A36-9C8C-7DA7EA8E0B94.png
0E491C98-662D-45FF-9FD1-C121502753C6.png
V6 muzzle brake
E9AECEAB-AEDF-4AD0-AD81-512D9AFD2736.jpeg
Wood stock
3017CA55-50FD-4728-8086-233336595EFC.jpeg

Last Edited:
I was maybe foolishly of a 12 gauge in addition to the 20 because of the compatibility with government in case the shtf. I did not think of the 12's recoil against my 160 pound 73 rd old body. Is there a 20 gauge 7-8 round riot gun?

I was maybe foolishly of a 12 gauge in addition to the 20 because of the compatibility with government in case the shtf. I did not think of the 12's recoil against my 160 pound 73 rd old body. Is there a 20 gauge 7-8 round riot gun?
Good to have a 12 ga handy, cuz ya never know. I have a couple which retired with me from a patrol gig I did in a large rural park in Colorado. 12 ga ammo is much easier to find... I want a 20 because of the recoil factor but so far I havent located what I want in a 20. I prefer a semi with a long tube.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top