JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's Christmas shopping time! I'm looking for a riflescope to put on my wife's Savage 93R17. It's the laminated woodgrain version, like this one. We have a cheap BSA reddot on it right now, but she's pining for something with a bit of magnification. I am looking for recommendations on entry-level scopes; something in the $200-$400 range.

Shooting habits: this is how the gun has been used so far, if it is helpful.
  • target practice only so far, I don't see that changing with this gun.
  • range of ~30-50 yards...but I'm sure she'd love to push that out to 100+, given enough room. I've been shooting my 10/22 open-sighted next to her, so we haven't tried any particularly long shots yet. (Yeah, she's a better shot than I.)
  • out in the weather (not on a range)
  • daylight or early-evening shooting. I'm not looking for anything tailored to low-light or nighttime conditions, but decent optics in the day's failing light is a plus.
Though it'll be used for target practice now, I want to get something that is worthy of putting on a larger rifle when we one (she's already asking!) :)

I've looked over a few Leupold's. The <broken link removed> or <broken link removed> fall in my price range. The <broken link removed> sounds nice but is pushing my limit at $400 and is probably overkill my our current plinker habits. Surely there are dozens more out there -- what's your recommendation? Everything I know about optics (very little), I learned sitting in front of a computer. So any first-hand knowledge would be awesome!

I got a Bushnell Super 17 for mine. It comes with a BDC for .17 which is great for "dialing" it in between 100 and 200 yards. I think it has other BDC spools that drop in, but at $100 I'll probably leave it on my .17 forever (I saved enough $$$ that I can afford different scopes for bigger guns). Other than I can't see the holes I put in paper at 200 yards with this scope I can't think of anything bad to say about it.

BTW, you are REALLY doing the .17 HMR a big dis-service with a red dot, if you haven't used a regular scope yet, you're really in for a surprise with ANY scope.

Just go with the Nikon Pro Staff 3x9x40 and leave it on it. It will work for higher power but they arent that expensive to have to move to the next rifle.

I have one on my 338 as well as a 45/70 that my reloads havent blown the seal yet as it has others.

BSA Sweet 17 (6-18x40) - On sale for $49.95 at SWFA.

This is a great little scope on sale for less than 50&#37; of the regular price ($100 @ Midway). Many CMP guys use the Sweet 22 on thier Kimber match .22 LR rifles.

Specs:
&#8226;Matte
&#8226;Plex
&#8226;1"
&#8226;Adjustable Objective
&#8226;Waterproof
&#8226;Fogproof
&#8226;Shockproof
&#8226;100 to 300 yards Bullet drop precisely calculated to compensate for the elliptic drop of a .17 grain 17HMR bullet

Specifications
Weight (oz): 20
Plex

Length (in): 18.8
Eye Relief (in): 3
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 14 - 4
Exit Pupil (mm): 6.6 - 2.2
MOA: 1/8
Lens Coating: Multi-Coated
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
Adjustable Objective Range (yds): 15 - infinity

Link:
<broken link removed>

Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm really liking the Nikon Pro Staff and Midway seems to have a good deal on it right now.

Any recommendations on mounting hardware? A quick internet search suggests I'll need medium to high weaver-style mounts (which is more than I know 20 minutes ago). Maybe something like this? Any other hardware I'm ignorantly missing? I just want to make sure I'm good to go come Christmas morning!

BTW, you are REALLY doing the .17 HMR a big dis-service with a red dot, if you haven't used a regular scope yet, you're really in for a surprise with ANY scope.
:) I know, and I think she'll love it. It was one of those "it's Friday night and I want to shoot it tomorrow" situations. I wanted to do a little research before throwing a few hundred bucks at optics. I was really quite surprised when I realized the Savage didn't have any iron sights on it...but I'm a noob :eek:

I have that exact same rifle with a BSA Sweet 17. I LOVE it. Great scope and at 100 yards with no wind, I can put all five shots in the size of a dime. My 11 year old son can put all five rounds in the size of a 50 cent piece at 100 yards.

On a side note, have you used anything to clean the outside of your barrel? Mine has some discoloration, I think just from the oil from my hands. I'm wondering what to use on it to get it back to nice and shiny. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Mueller APT. 4.5-14x40AO. Mil dot reticle, 30mm tube. I have on on my AR and I'm very happy with it, will be the next scope for my Savage 17hmr as well. I did hear one review online of a person that owns an APT and VX-II and they said the APT glass was better... I believe it comes in silver too, to match your stainless gun..

I like WARNE rings, made in OR too :s0155:

IMO the 10x magnification of the Bushnell 17 scope isn't enough although I do like the BDC.

Hmm, decisions, decisions! Thanks for all the responses.

Now I'm leaning towards the Mueller APV, thanks to your suggestions. I'm liking the idea of a silver scope against that stainless steel barrel and wood stock. Does anyone here have this setup?

Unfortunately, I'm not finding that model with the mildot reticle :(&#160;

I took the plunge and placed my order, the Mueller APT 4.5-14x 40mm sitting on high, 30mm Warne rings. I ditched the idea of trying to match unseen shades of silver. The trigger and safety switch are black, so I don't think the matte black scope and mounts will look too awkward. And if it does...tough! :)

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Ya know, I think I might get a wee bit jealous once this thing gets mounted on my wife's gun!

Oh, @TyPercy, I haven't had any noticeable discoloration. But it has only had 400-600 rounds through it...we got it in August. We clean the bore and bolt with Hoppes solvent and wipe it down with Hoppes lubricating oil. Sorry :confused:

Last Edited:
There's also the "Leapers" ACCUSHOT 6-24x56 Swat Mil-Dot, with the 30mm tube. It's roughly $200.
I have one on my .338winMag and it's still solid after 80 rounds on the Tikka. The amazing thing with this scope is it's crystal clear and the focus knob can accurately range your target wih the side focus markings. It zooms in without any changes in aimpoint.
I got mine from opticsplanet.
... just my two cents.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews