JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a recommendation on the best night sight replacement for a Ruger SP-101 357 mag revolver with 2.25" barrel. The factory sight is plain black and totally useless at night.

Anyone have personal experience doing the replacement? How were the results?

I'm seeing a lot of different opinions out there on the internet. Some people say this is easy to do yourself. Others say you need a gunsmith. Some people say it massively changes point of impact. A lot of different suggestions on which is the best brand to purchase (XS, Trijicon, Meprolight, etc.).

By the way, I tried painting the front sight with greenish-white glow-in-the-dark paint. First few shots out of the gun blew all the paint off. Maybe I used the wrong type of paint?

What do you think?

I've had Glock, Trijicon and Truglo night sights and I honestly couldn't tell one from the other if branding wasn't there. They're metal, they glow green and get a bit dimmer over time. As for whether or not to get one with contrast, a "big dot" or integrated fiber optics, it's a user thing and highly subjective to preference.

As for Ruger revolvers, I don't know how easy it is to replace them, I'm just going to assume a small sight press and/or screw is all it will take. Unless this is a target gun, I wouldn't get hung up on a small point of impact difference unless it's so severe you'd pop a bad guy in the belly button trying to perforate the ol thump thump.

I installed on if these on my SP 101

ML-10992 - Meprolight

It is a tritium based sight. Installation requires a small punch 1/16" to drive the pin which holds front sight in place. If the Mepro sight base is to wide to fit the sight slot, use a knife sharpening stone on the Mepro base until it fits slight. Go slow on the stoning. When you get the Mepro sight to fit in the base, use a small drill but to drill a hole through the base. The hole from which the pin was driven will used to align the drill bit. The last step us to reinstall the pin which retains the sight.

Sight comes with very installation instructions. However the instructions don't mention what to do if the sight base is to wide for the slot milled by Ruger for the front sight.

Whole process is quickly done. I think I spent about 30 minutes doing this.

I'm gonna second the XS big dot sight. I installed one on my personal SP101 and recommend it. Installing it isn't too bad but I did break a drill bit off even with a drill press. I wouldn't try the install myself without access to a press and clamps.

XS Big dot. Great looking and highly functional sight for the SP101.

Might need to file it a bit too size. And it is required to be drilled. Nothing someone with moderate skills can't do.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top