JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For crying out loud, this lady is 105 pounds.

Any recommendation that involves heavy recoil is going to be out of touch with the reality of physics, small hands, small body, wimpy in general.

Bear spray and a firearm for two legged predators.

The first bear I ever shot, I was 18 years old, the bear was running away and I severed his femoral arterie, he ran 50 feet. The next one was a very large bear that I shot in the heart at 250 yards and she rolled over with her feet in the air. I shot 2 brown bears, one at 20 yards or so with my 458 Win Mag manlicher carbine, hit him in the chest as he was coming towards me, the bullet exited his rectum after severing his major arteries the top of his heart and pretty well destroying his area above the diaphragm and filling his entire organ cavity with blood. The other one I shot at 50 yards through the lungs and he went down hard. No one takes a head shot on a large bear unless you are so close to shoot him in the eye or mouth. The angle deflects bullets like radar hitting a stealth fighter. So, how many bear have you killed?..........and I have never had to shoot one twice.

I haven't hunted bear. Only had 1 somewhat close encounter while hunting, and chose to take a warning shot, which worked fine.

But I have a friend that put one down inside a garage with a 12 ga slug, with a shot to the head.

Honestly, it is an academic argument for me. I will admit I am probably not a good enough shot to aim precisely for the brain or eye or dick on a charging bear, but I am going to pump enough lead into it to hit something that matters quickly. If I am out hunting with a 30-06. In my hand you can bet your bubblegum I am going to shoot that thing in the face if I have time to aim.

Not worried about it deflecting.

All this firearm talk is null and void, she's in Kalifornia...:eek:

I still say a Ruger GP101, will do just fine in regular bear country...:D:D:D

Just for shoots and grinds: the only time I would shoot a bear in the face... When I went to Telkwa BC to fish as a guest of a buddy that was moose hunting, I carried a short barreled pump shotgun. The first load up was #8s, then lots of 12ga slugs. My buddy who hunted griz quite a bit advised the strategy since I couldn't carry a rifle in Canada. First shot of #8s to the face to F' up the bears eyes and nose... make me harder to find. Then as many slugs as I could.

Yup, I was watching an episode of "I Survived" where there were two survey contractors in bear country. They unfortunately ran into a bear coming out of some bush at 10yds. The bear looked, they looked. The bear charged the guy in front. Bear spray safety wouldn't come off... the guy in the rear fumbled his to the ground and then ran. The guy in front managed to pull his .357 and unload a few into the griz. No joy. His firearm was knocked from his hand and the bear proceeded to maul and partially eat him before peeing on and burying him. The guy up in the tree finally managed to get someone to answer his portable radio and send a choppa. They both lived. The moral of the story: There is no perfect strategy! But for me, bigger is better. If it had been a .44mag things mighta been different.

I'm thinkin this:

Untitled46.jpg

The .50 Alaskan Lever Action Rifle is Perfect for Extreme Bear Country [VIDEO]

There is also a .450 Alaskan that looks good. :)

Upon further reflection If we are going for perfect bear guns, not constrained by what this lady will carry... I would want an SBRd AR10 chambered in 45-raptor. Probably ~10" barrel.

A lighter alternate would be the same setup in an AR15 in .458 socom.

Did some research on bear skulls after the posts yesterday. Seems like the brain is lower than we think, and the top of the skull is sinus tissue. This is the basis of the "bullet deflecting armor myth.

Just like with a human, you want to shoot for the nose to have the best chance of reaching the brain. Looking at the skull their isn't much bone in the nose area anyway. So seems like the best options are either: something you can shoot fast and very accurately with decent penetration, and aim for the nose.

Or.... Carry a handcannon, rifle, or shotgun with slugs, and go for breaking down the shoulders to anchor the bear.

Or... Carry a .458 magnum something and shoot the bear from nose to butt!

Can she make contact with local outfitters and ask them what they recommend? Might be no firearm at all. Also if a gun is absolutely needed maybe she can rent something while up there? Just a thought.

Edited Extra ... I have not read any of the aforementioned answers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top