JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BEARS.jpg

Any recommendations for a small side arm for back packing? She is 5'3" and 105 pounds. She shoots Ruger SP 101 3" now. Thinking a big bore is needed. She has small hands. Any ideas?
Can she shoot the Ruger competently?
That's the important part. You can send her out there with a 155mm Howie and if she can't hit the broadside of a barn with it, it does her no good.
If she can hit what she means to with the Ruger, then just make sure the rounds are JSP and she'll be ok.
...anyway, haven't you ever heard the famous story of how the priest killed the polar bear with a .357?
I thought everyone knew that one.

Dean
P.S. - anyway, the bears won't be her problem. I've heard it's those nut-ball Moose's that you have to watch out for.

Last Edited:
I've never been in the situation where a Bear was charging, adrenalin was pulsing and one would have a but second to think. But were I there, I'd like to have the firearm I'm most accustomed to for the one or two shots I have to save my life.

Any recommendations for a small side arm for back packing? She is 5'3" and 105 pounds. She shoots Ruger SP 101 3" now. Thinking a big bore is needed. She has small hands. Any ideas?
Reiterating the OP's question in case anyone's lost focus here.
Still say, if she's competent with the Ruger, that and some common sense should work well for her.

...btw, tkdguy, has your daughter made a decision yet?

Dean

Ended up going to Sequoia NP in Cali and omits the handgun for Cali right now; she'll do 2 months in the back country but the defense issue is still on the table. She knows of more fear from 2 footed creatures there. She has a preference for the Ruger SP 101 with hard cast bullets for bears. She just purchased the Ruger LC9 s and would carry BB Woodsman Ammo; but Cali handgun law is a very big problem as are their citizens going nuts on the sight of a handgun. She just picked up a Gerber Survival Knife for the time being. She handles 357 just fine. I do not like her being out there without a handgun but Cali is a problem.

The .357 should be good enough for black bear, but I'd feel a little under-gunned if I traveled further north.

Just remember that Bear Spray works well against most 2- and 4-legged creatures! ;)

If you really are looking for a larger firearm that she might be comfortable with, the Cabela's in Tualatin has a beautiful Ruger GP-100 in 10mm! It's larger and heavier than the SP-101, but should be similar enough for her to feel comfortable with it right away.

Hope this helps!

I just read an article today on revolvers and grizzlies. He recommends the "4-3-1"method. A revolver at least .40 caliber, shooting 300 grain lead hard cast bullet, around 1,000 fps. A .357 might be too light for grizzly, or big black bear, but if that is what you have then pick a hard cast bullet design. I'm planning a trip to Montana later this summer. I cannot afford a new revolver right now so I bought some 200 grain lead hard cast ammunition for my 4" Model 28. Listed velocity is 1300 fps. I haven't been to the range yet but these sound pretty hot.

I usually use a G20 but I have one of these in .44 Mag:
Model 329PD | Smith & Wesson

Nice and light (about the same as the SP101) and with hard cast bullets it should be good enough against most things.

She can practice with .44 special because the full power stuff is kind of harsh in a gun this light. But make sure she shoots some full-power so she knows what it feels like. Get some rubber grips to make it more tolerable too.

I always ask the question, am I going to carry it more or shoot it more........a carry gun needs to be light and handy, a range gun heavy and recoil friendly. I have never noticed recoil when actually using a weapon for it's designed purpose (like defending myself) there are good reasons that the 44 Mag is the most popular Alaskan handgun caliber. I really think the M329 is the ideal gun for the use you have. Quality, powerful and lightweight, the ideal self protection carry gun.

Just to be a contrarian, I can't imagine a 105 lb woman shooting a revolver bigger than a .357 fast and accurately under stress.

If it was me... I would buy or build a QC10 10mm AR style pistol/SBR with a ~6" barrel, and a Muzzle brake.

Another option is a ASR survival pistol or SBR.

AR pistol braces have come a long way in comfort lately, but if she can get an SBR she can use a vert grip, which is good on a very short barrel so you don't take your fingertips off.

She can carry it on a two point sling with just a tiny but less annoyance than a big .44 mag slung to her hip.

Upon more research, maybe a 300 blk is a better idea. They are all DI, which is probably a better idea than blowback ar10 loaded with hardcast hot 10mm loads .

Not sure on the best ammo for bear with it, maybe 150 he FMJ, or the solid copper HPs.

Last Edited:
Just to be a contrarian, I can't imagine a 105 lb woman shooting a revolver bigger than a .357 fast and accurately under stress.

If it was me... I would buy or build a QC10 10mm AR style pistol/SBR with a ~6" barrel, and a Muzzle brake.

Another option is a ASR survival pistol or SBR.

AR pistol braces have come a long way in comfort lately, but if she can get an SBR she can use a vert grip, which is good on a very short barrel so you don't take your fingertips off.

She can carry it on a two point sling with just a tiny but less annoyance than a big .44 mag slung to her hip.
You are thinking like an inexperienced modern young person. A cool well placed single shot is usually adaquate. The spray and pray mentality is a poor one. Even guns designed and used for the most dangerous game are things like large bore double rifles or bolt actions. My Kodiak island resident and guide buddy carries an antique Remington 700 338 Magnum that he shoots everything from ptarmigan to brown bear (has killed dozens of them through the years) with and has used it many times to correct a hunter's poor shot placement. He does keep an 870 12 gauge nearby at his house for "night work". If portability wasn't the most important, I really like my new Remington TAC-14 marine magnum. For close defense I don't think much compares to it.

You are thinking like an inexperienced modern young person. A cool well placed single shot is usually adaquate

You think a 30 yr old woman is going to be calm and collected and accurate during a bear charge?

I am thinking like a realist. Just because a gun is semi auto doesn't mean you have to shoot it from the hip like a spastic retard.

If one shot is all she needs, then great, she will have 19-29 backup shots in the magazine.

A rifle is easier to aim and control.

A bigger gun in a bigger caliber would be better, But I am assuming portability does matter to her.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top