JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Can she hit an apple quickly and reliably double-action at ten yards using heavy magnum loads with that little Ruger?
If not, maybe just some bear spray.

The 10 mm semi's or a 454 will not work because of hand size? 44 mag frames are too large as well as 454 I't think? 10 mm revolver too big a grip? If not, maybe move up to 7 round 357 revolver or go with sp 101??? High capacity 9mm?

I realize it's Bear country and such, but many get a bit carried away with the caliber and size of firearms. Carry bear spray, noise makers while hiking and she should be just fine with the SP101 as a "Personal" sidearm...

I'm assuming she will not be alone on this adventure...

Checking in and out the Park will post any special animal notices...

Last Edited:
SP101 is fine.

Tell her to go to Gun Runners in Anchorage when she get's there and get some solid copper round's and bear spray and she will be fine.

BTW: it's the little Sh*t'r's Black bear's that mess up most people in AK.
Grizzly's usually are pretty chill unless they have cub's or are messed up somehow.

Hope you guy's have fun on the trip.
**** You should pick up a copy of Alaska Bear Tale's by Larry Kaniut.****

I was born and raised in Anchorage AK. FWIW.

Last Edited:
Have her take a sign stating she is a bear free zone. That will be all she needs.

If something does go wrong she can call the police in anchorage from her cell phone.

You gun people are all alike...

I like the idea of continuing with the familiar SP-101.
The penetrator ammo is a good idea.
A good, comfortable rig for carrying will be important...maybe a Diamond D chest rig ?

Bear spray would be good as well.

^^^ Like I said It's not a Joke. ^^^

Larry's book's are about actual Bear attack's in AK. he's been writing about it since I was a Kid or Before.

Most attack's are from Stupidity or being in the wood's when "It's that time of the Month".

Being killed or permanently disfigured is not the way people want to remember Alaska.

The OP was asking about his Daughter's safety,So unless you have useful info , remain on topic.

Last Edited:
@ the OP, maybe take her to a LGS and have her check out some different guns. I would personally want something bigger than an SP101. I know you said bigger frames are out, but has she actually tried holding and shooting something larger?

If not, then at least get her some Underwood ammo and a couple of speed loaders with holster.

SP101 is fine.

Tell her to go to Gun Runners in Anchorage when she get's there and get some solid copper round's and bear spray and she will be fine.

BTW: it's the little Sh*t'r's Black bear's that mess up most people in AK.
Grizzly's usually are pretty chill unless they have cub's or are messed up somehow.

Hope you guy's have fun on the trip.
**** You should pick up a copy of Alaska Bear Tale's by Larry Kaniut.****

Great info. What is the benefit of solid copper rounds in 357?

I was born and raised in Anchorage AK. FWIW.

The solid round's have more penetration = Bone breaking / penetration power against a bear. It's specifically made for Ruger's and will Blow up a S+W Cylinder.
Huge difference in putting one down if it come's to that VS regular ammo.

You can call Gun Runner's, Great Northern Gun's, Wild West Gun's, or any of the other guy's and they will all tell you pretty much the same thing about the ammo.

Last Edited:
+1 on "Take her shopping for what fits HER." Don't underestimate the smaller folk... my ex was around her size, and would kick a** up one side of the range and down the over with my 5" 1911 and full-power GI hardball every time. It really is all in how the System and Operator fit together... conversely, I knew a gal around 6' and fairly stout who was slighter of arm bone-structure and despite her being a service veteran .45s were too much recoil for her.

Doesn't necessarily make a .45 autoloader the right choice for her on this one, just noting that sometimes people surprise you.

+1 on "Take her shopping for what fits HER." Don't underestimate the smaller folk... my ex was around her size, and would kick a** up one side of the range and down the over with my 5" 1911 and full-power GI hardball every time. It really is all in how the System and Operator fit together... conversely, I knew a gal around 6' and fairly stout who was slighter of arm bone-structure and despite her being a service veteran .45s were too much recoil for her.

Doesn't necessarily make a .45 autoloader the right choice for her on this one, just noting that sometimes people surprise you.

This is good information and we could consider the 1911 as an alternative. Thanks. Any other good ideas please pass them along.

The important thing is... well, guns are like bras--she needs to try different things on and see what fits HER best. *I* wouldn't do .45 Auto out in Bear Country unless it was like .45 Super, 10mm or .460 Rowland,but all three of those are stouter-recoiling than base ACP.

Maybe skip the pistol and go with a para-stock M1 Carbine?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top