JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinking of buying one for 223 55 grain for scope mounted for occasional hunting. Any recommendations for TC brand or after market? Any recommendations for scope power for this type of rig?

Thanks for your advise.

I have an Encore .223 with a Nikon Monarch 4-16 BDC scope. Was one of several rifles I was shooting today.
TC Encore 223.jpg

Sorry my mistake, you're looking to scope a Contender. Must read more slowly and think before responding.o_O

Last Edited:
The Contender that I have is the pistol. I was thinking for 12 or 14" barrel? Or, is that a bad idea and should convert it to a short barreled rifle with shoulder stock?

I have an 80's vintage super 14 in .223. That's the barrel that came with it and for me at least it works great. I have a Burris scope on it and plink with 55 grn FMJ/JSP. For hunting I use 52 grn MBTHP with Win 748. Dime sized groups @ 100yrds off a bag. 99% of my brass is .mil surplus. Over the years I've shot more 5.56 through it than 223Rem. Same goes for my 80's vintage Mini 14. ZERO issues.

I have an 80's vintage super 14 in .223. That's the barrel that came with it and for me at least it works great. I have a Burris scope on it and plink with 55 grn FMJ/JSP. For hunting I use 52 grn MBTHP with Win 748. Dime sized groups @ 100yrds off a bag. 99% of my brass is .mil surplus. Over the years I've shot more 5.56 through it than 223Rem. Same goes for my 80's vintage Mini 14. ZERO issues.

What power Burris scope are you using?

Probably better to look at the weights you want to shoot and then the twist rate, you can get wylde or 5.56 but the twist rates matter a little bit depending if it's 1:7 or 1:8, etc. There are some charts online that show the optimum twist vs grain weight.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top