JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought three different pair of cargo pants from Sportsman's Guide. They are ok - so far.

The first pair I bought were made of some combo fabric with spandex in them. Comfortable and the waistband has an elastic section on the side, which I like. Most comfortable of the three - so far.

The other pair I have worn have flannel lining and a similar style, but the waistband and fabric is not elastic, and the rear of the waistband seems to be too low riding - when I bend over or kneel and I don't have a shirt that covers down my posterior a ways, I am sure I would be giving others a sight they probably do not wish to see (I will have to remember that).

Although the crotch on all of these pants is the same design (gussetted), I feel this pair the crotch doesn't give the same amount of room as the first pair. I have worn jeans that are nowhere near as comfortable in that regard though and I am thankful for this better design - I just feel that these particular pair should fit the same as the first pair, which they do not.

Also, my taste is to have a much wider waistband - twice as wide as standard, especially more in the rear. I have motorcycle riding pants that are like that and I have seen tactical/outdoors pants that are like that too - but expensive.

The third pair, made with ripstop (my preference) I have not tried on yet. Similar style again to the first pair with an elastic waistband on the side and similar pockets, but without the hidden zippered pockets at the front of the cargo pockets.

All of these are lighter material than the Wrangler Riggs work pants, but heavier than standard denim jeans. Okay for outdoor activities, but probably not as resistant to thorny brush as the Riggs. I got them all on sale for around $25 ea. IIRC. I think they will be quite suitable for office casual (not something I have to deal with anymore) or going into town/etc. or visiting friends without looking like I just came in from working in the oil field/etc.

These are made in China, but with a couple of exceptions in the flannel lined pair (one of t he pocket liners was sewed wrong, but fixable), the overall quality is good, with reinforcements, what seems like good design and quality stitching (triple stitch seams in some places).

I wondered where they might've gotten the name for those;
"🎶Oh home on the range.. Where the deer and the antelope play..."
I know you know, but I'll help jog your mammaries! *Ahem* memories.. Range also just refers to an open expanse of land. (I won't judge you, if you don't judge me 😁)

Anyway resurrecting this thread because I'll be actively looking to replace quite a few pairs in my daily wardrobe. I actually do wear some fairly tactical style pants daily. But I'm looking to some what get away from that look. My current pairs have lasted me about 12 years and I still have a a couple pairs in the bobs that are brand new! Only two pairs even really have holes but they look hideous...

What I do love about my current pairs is the spandex waist band. The wide belt loops and plenty of them. They are sewn into the waist (manditory IMO) they have double knees which.. I would prefer to have knee pad cap. (Insert self deprecating joke here) But this will suffice in leu of.

I would prefer NOT to have cargo pockets but I just carry too much crap and don't see nay way around it. They need to be baggy as I'm fairly OCD and HATE tight fitting jeans in the legs or crotch.

Basically trying to find some kinda borderline work/cargo daily driver pants. No camo, preferably no mil colors, but also no prison oranges or reds. Hopefully made in america.
With the state of the world I actually am willing to shell out upwards of $200 a pair because I seem to be able to make them last forever. I've been looking at kitanika and vertx & 5.11.

I have the Riggs flannel lined and they are nice, really comfy but just too hot for me. I over heat easily even though I'm not terribly over weight.

"🎶Oh home on the range.. Where the deer and the antelope play..."
I know you know, but I'll help jog your mammaries! *Ahem* memories.. Range also just refers to an open expanse of land. (I won't judge you, if you don't judge me 😁)

Anyway resurrecting this thread because I'll be actively looking to replace quite a few pairs in my daily wardrobe. I actually do wear some fairly tactical style pants daily. But I'm looking to some what get away from that look. My current pairs have lasted me about 12 years and I still have a a couple pairs in the bobs that are brand new! Only two pairs even really have holes but they look hideous...

What I do love about my current pairs is the spandex waist band. The wide belt loops and plenty of them. They are sewn into the waist (manditory IMO) they have double knees which.. I would prefer to have knee pad cap. (Insert self deprecating joke here) But this will suffice in leu of.

I would prefer NOT to have cargo pockets but I just carry too much crap and don't see nay way around it. They need to be baggy as I'm fairly OCD and HATE tight fitting jeans in the legs or crotch.

Basically trying to find some kinda borderline work/cargo daily driver pants. No camo, preferably no mil colors, but also no prison oranges or reds. Hopefully made in america.
With the state of the world I actually am willing to shell out upwards of $200 a pair because I seem to be able to make them last forever. I've been looking at kitanika and vertx & 5.11.

I have the Riggs flannel lined and they are nice, really comfy but just too hot for me. I over heat easily even though I'm not terribly over weight.
You must be a voodoo priest…. bringing necro-zombie threads back to life!

👻 :D

The 5.11 Stryke pant is a solid pant. The expandable waist is great for CCW'ing.

UF Pro pants are excellent. But they ain't cheap. And they're mostly of a tactical variety but they do make a couple of more low key pants.

Duluth Trading has several different pants. Their "Firehose" pants are certainly durable. Worth a look to see if they might have something that would work for you.

I've heard lots of good things about Prometheus Design Werx pants but don't have any direct experience with them.

Before the pandemic, it was khakis for work and jorts (jean shorts) the rest of the time. Now that I work from home, it's jorts and t-shirts all the time. Great for the beach, the BBQ get together, grabbing some beers with the guys, range days, formal occasions, whatever. Typically I wear Wranglers but if I found a throwback pair of white LA Gear jorts...

I'm really just a big kid with lots of experience. Ain't likely to change anytime soon either.

Everyone that has attended my classes know I wear regular jeans type pants when instructing, because that's what I wear around the place and around town.

I can almost say for 100% of one's life, you'll be wearing what you usually wear should you be in some sort of confrontation, you most likely won't be wearing anything different that day at that time unless you know it's coming...then you'll be suited up way different.
Shushhhhhhh!!! You're ruining it!!🤫

How is a guy supposed to get his jolly's by telling folks what to wear, and see how many show up to the range in rainbow parachute pants, if you're gonna go and "common sense" all the fun out of it for the rest of us?

Not cool!
:s0140:

I have a pair of Kitanica RSP that are my new "teaching" pants (like the pockets and pen holders). They do not have the knee pad pockets the Raider pants have. They seem well made and in America, if Oakland, CA is still considered America. In cool weather it is hard to beat Duluth Firehose, some available with stretch material and they make shorts as well. Check the belt loop location if you consider "work" type pants as some have loop locations that make them more difficult to place holsters in a good location.

I have to say that I've yet to wear out a pair of 5.11's and mine get a lot of use from yardwork to the range and everything in between. Nearly all of mine have been purchased on sale, clearance or at an outlet. Good luck on the quest!

Looking for a pair or two and just seeing what you all recommend. Here is a list of preferences....

Knee pad compatible
Loose (I hate slim pants)
Low or normal waist
Multiple color options (no camo)
What are the knee pads for?

You must be a voodoo priest…. bringing necro-zombie threads back to life!

👻 :D
In use the search function on this site. Probably not the best means but I hate starting new threads if there's already related knowledge. I usually like to consolidate the wealth of info if possible. Makes less threads to search through. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it! Lol.

Edit: thanks @WillametteWill that's some solid reporting.

Man there's quite a bit of feedback. I actually wasn't expecting this kind of "agro" (or is it aggro?) on a "zombie thread"

Last Edited:
^^^^^^This right here^^^^^^
Tough, easy to move in, and plenty of cargo space.
I wore these for years while setting tile and they held up real well.
Oh I can only imagine the hell on going to catch for saying this, but I put a whole in the knee of a brand new pair of Riggs like a week old. I was inventing new ways to go down main landing gear stairs at work for the work stand. Bounced my head off the 787 tire the pants didn't fair as well as my head.. That might explain a lot to some of you. ...or it might seem like it explains alot...🤣

Wrangler Riggs Ranger Cargo pant. $29 at BiMart on sale.
Seems a popular choice, so I can only conclude that no one who likes them wears 36x30?

I advertised 3 pair of these here after I'd outgrown them. Nothing wrong with them. Even laundered them before writing the ad. Priced them way below the BiMart sale price, but not even a nibble.

So, I took 'em to the Salmon Creek Goodwill store yesterday. They'll soon be on the rack there at a higher price than I was asking.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top