JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You can spend as much or as little as you want here...
For a good vest that doesn't break the bank I go with a MilSurp LBV.

It's not state-of-the-art but gets the job done.
As it sits (full mags but without full canteens) it's pretty heavy. The open back will let me carry a camelback without extra bulk, but that would saddle me with 3 shoulder straps on each side, not counting a pack or slung rifle. I may just stick with the old school canteens.
20200701_105703.jpg

It holds M4 mags, Essee 3 (knife), compact pistol (XDM) and pistol mags.

Underneath I wear a war belt with primary pistol (XDM), rifle and pistol mags, and FAK, hanging from old milsurp ALICE suspenders. The reason for this is that in "garrison" (camp) I can shed the heavy vest but still have some necessities on me at all times. I can also carry a small MOLLE pouch with a spare .40 barrel, recoil spring, and .40 mags for the big XDM in case 9mm gets scarce in the ZA.

I don't have a plate carrier. I think that much weight would be untenable. This crap is pretty heavy and doesn't include 7-8 lb carbine, pack with food, etc. As it is, I believe I need to pare-down a bit.
Or, after reading the article @DB is Here posted, I may look into the HRT carrier and scrap the LBV. The vest itself doesn't represent a huge investment... it's all the crap on the vest that dents yer bank account.

Last Edited:
Hard to go wrong with Tactical Tailor

I have a PIG chest rig that can carry 8 rifle and 4 pistol magazines. I bought this years ago now.

PIG UCR (Universal Chest Rig)

454426E7-F798-41B2-995E-5F20C417677F.jpeg

Colored tape for what the rounds magazines are loaded with. Unmarked are 64gr SpeerJSP, blue is Mk318 Mod 0 SOST, and red is IMI 77gr OTM LR MOD-1.

Just a note, there are no such thing as a Level III soft armor plate set. IIIA is the highest I know of. Level III to IV are hard plates.

Plenty of posts about gear and load outs for the search.
Personally, I run stuff onto an armor carrier, OR a LBE (old school) setup with a slick body armor carrier, depending on the load and expected duties.

If the armor is to be worn independently of the ammo/gear, then a LBE or a chest rig would be good. If the armor and gear are to be worn together at all times when using the combo, then directly attach gear to the vest is the way to go. Of course, you could choose to have a few different setups, if you can afford the cost inlay :eek:

This seems like the 3rd thread you've posted on the subject of body armor and vests.....

Just a note, there are no such thing as a Level III soft armor plate set. IIIA is the highest I know of. Level III to IV are hard plates.

Plenty of posts about gear and load outs for the search.
Personally, I run stuff onto an armor carrier, OR a LBE (old school) setup with a slick body armor carrier, depending on the load and expected duties.

If the armor is to be worn independently of the ammo/gear, then a LBE or a chest rig would be good. If the armor and gear are to be worn together at all times when using the combo, then directly attach gear to the vest is the way to go. Of course, you could choose to have a few different setups, if you can afford the cost inlay :eek:

This seems like the 3rd thread you've posted on the subject of body armor and vests.....

Yes, in the last two days I spent $1100 on vests, plates and accessories. All based on the great brain storming I received on these posts. I ended up with lite weight places, level III and side plates. I am guessing the plates will be about 8-9 pounds total.

I make my own gear for the most part ;) LBEs and chest rigs are what I mainly do, along with backpacks :s0151: Just made a custom carrier for the 2XL size Safariland soft armor and 10x12 ceramic ICW plates, that fits me relatively well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top