JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ruger MK IV threaded the push button take down is a game changer and so many aftermarket parts would make your head spin . The other of course is the 10/22 and parts you can get a threaded barrel for it no problem and you have the option of 25 + round mags .

@CountryGent this is the "kids" Scout 457 in "adult mode" for the "in between time" while the kiddo works with the single shot. It's an extremely nice shooter.

I also found out that Boyd's makes a mini Tacticool stock for the Savage Rascal and now I want to do up a micro version of the gun i cobbled together to shoot the TCGC NRL22 matches.
1667592182490.jpeg

9728EBEF-13FA-4AB8-BD2C-935E51858258.jpeg

So, my wee ones are, slowly, being taught the skills with airguns at the present. When they are tween-age-ish, we're buying them both a .22LR rifle for a birthday or Christmas gift. Now, that, for both of them, is a few years out. However, in talking with their mother last night, we're thinking of buying them each one now, and then just stash them until they've reached an age where it is appropriate. Her reasoning, and I can't really argue against it, is there will likely be little let up with the anti-2A BS in coming years, so might as well get ready now.

I have to plead semi-ignorant on .22s as I simply find them uninteresting. The lady of the house shoots more of them and owns three at the present (Walther P22, Ruger 10/22, and a copy of the Soviet Margolin) and she had a few ideas.

So, what say you for lil' pews for lil' people that:

Must haves:

• Safe, obviously.
  • A rifle, not a handgun.
  • Be chambered in standard .22LR.
  • Be sized appropriately for a child. (My children, at this stage of development, are well with in averages, nor do they have any disability, so nothing unusual on that front.)
  • Be able to be cycled by someone with upper body strength consistent with the aforementioned.
  • A quality piece produced by a name company, with decent aftermarket support.
  • Good sights or at least the ability for a competent gunsmith to add them.
Nice to haves:

• Threaded for a silencer. It would make quiet instruction time a lot more convenient for either or both of the big people. But not a deal breaker.
  • The ability, albeit much later, to install a scope.
  • Preferably traditionally styled, but I realize that distinction doesn't mean much now.
Beyond that, not much else. I go back and forth on a semi or a manually operated, with a strong proclivity towards a lever gun, but I am open to all sorts of ideas.

Thanks all!
CZ 457 Scout
Kid size to start, and when needed, full size factory stock available.
Good quality, good accuracy.
I think this would be difficult to do better for what your intended goal is.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews