Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Recommend SHTF GHB gloves

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by The Heretic, Nov 18, 2015.

1. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Not working gloves - i have plenty of those and I can figure out what I like in those.

I also have general waterproof warm gloves.

Neither of these are particularly well suited for shooting a firearm.

I am talking about the kind you would use in a SHTF situation where you are going armed.

In short - tactical shooting gloves of the sort where you would use them while shooting and or moving around in a "tactical" situation.

Recommendations?

Certaindeaf likes this.
  2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I'd just go to Home Depot and start trying on gloves. It's really surprising how far non-leather work gloves have come and how specialized they are.

Dungannon, jbett98, decklin and 2 others like this.
  3. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Others option is Costco. They will have cold weather gear still and have "phone sensitive" gloves.

Personally I wouldn't want anything bulkier then those and they are pretty thin.

Or hunting gloves are normally designed with shooting a gun in mind. I have a few sets that are in camo that I like.

IF you decide to get hunting gear - wait till January and hit up Walmart, they practically pay you to take anything left from Christmas and hunting season.

Your really concentrating on the small stuff these days - you must be fairly well set to be down to what gloves to have around:D;)

mjbskwim likes this.
  4. Certaindeaf

With that said, I do love my discontinued Triumph motorcycle gloves. Very snug fitting and with some serious hard "knuckle protection".

jblake00 and equin68 like this.
  5. The Heretic

I have been spending a lot of money this year on buying SHTF stuff, a lot of that on odds and ends that I need. I am not prepared in depth - and I need to have more breadth before I start to put more things away in depth. I have a long ways to go yet. I need to get my shop in order too - especially with regards to tools.

I've been trying to get stuff as I think of it for my GHB (and for my kids GHBs) because that is where I will probably need stuff immediately. I prepare more for the mundane scenarios; storms, etc. - on my way home last night there was no small amount of tree litter on the road from the storm that rolled through yesterday; in Scholls there was a pretty good sized limb across the road that must have done some damage the first time someone hit it.

If I just keep getting this stuff then I will have it when I need it.

I could get by with the gloves I have on hand, but I think a pair of "tactical" gloves would be a good thing to have also.

Brutus57 and Joe13 like this.
  6. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Hey, I'm envious and impressed. I hope to be better off next year then I am now and that's about all I can handle.

7. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Life limb or eyesight.

Gloves are good. But more important is eyesight.
    I always cover my eyes. With good polycarbonate sunglasses. Or recently prescription glasses.

I should wear gloves more often. But my hands are tuff.
    Probably because I don't were gloves? :s0092:

Brutus57 likes this.
  8. Certaindeaf

Remember, gloves are pretty easy to take off.
    And since gloves are almost like shoes for your hands, it's nice to be able to try them on before purchase.

9. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I use nomex flying gloves. Fit like, well, a glove! Flame resistant as mentioned earlier, can be rolled up if you are a high speed operator or full wrist out to keep you warm. The leather is really soft and tactile. I wore them as aircrew way back when and have a new set I got at a gun show for $15.00 in my BOB. Look for a pair with the genuine US Gov label if you can. This style is MY preferred SHTF preference.
    For my other sundry "stow & go" stuff, a couple pairs of atlas work gloves just in case.
    I have a couple other glove pairs I like to keep handy as well: some summer ICON riding gloves and some Stihl Chainsaw gloves. Gloves are like knives, you can't have too many good pair and practice doing chit with them. I use to hunt with the old GI wool liners with the trigger finger tip cut off, too.

Brutus Out

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  10. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

For name brand I'd say "Mechanix" as they're usually thin leather with synthetic backs. Good dexterity. The whole "melting to your skin" thing isn't a big issue for the use you described. You want something to protect against warm metal, moving parts, and give good feel and control over your weapons. They fit the bill pretty good in that department.

I use knock off mechanix type gloves for work - as I need dexterity and a bit of protection. They provide both. Everything is a trade off - and obviously you know what use you are planning to use these for. I'd imagine you also plan to have better heavier duty work gloves for tasks that require them.

Mechanix gloves can be had with or without the extra knuckle protection. I've used both. For my needs I like the ones with the rubber/plastic knuckle protectors but have a hard time finding the knock offs with them that fit right and have them. I have a real hard time spending $30 a pair for work gloves that I will be replacing every couple months when the $10-15 knock offs last as long and do the same job.

edslhead likes this.
  11. Certaindeaf

But..

th?&id=OIP.Mcf60b2340af32e38cd4d9d354714d2c9o2&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Brutus57 and Medic! like this.
  12. HenryJ

HenryJ Eastern Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I got a couple sets of "knuckle goves" for a halloween costume a few years back.
    I don't recall the brand being specific, but they look like these:

380x272_airsoft_OET_HK221glove_Tanx.jpg

After a few uses they found their way into my gear. I do like the knuckle protection :)

Caveman Jim likes this.
  13. The Heretic

I am fortunate to have a decent job with a decent income, but I have to scale back.

I have been spending as much as I make (after taxes and retirement fund contributions) so my liquid funds balance has been flat, they aren't growing and I need to get them back up to where they were a couple of years ago (last year I spent a considerable sum on property improvements).

If I have a large unexpected expense I may have to liquidate funds from my Roth IRA and I would prefer not to do that. Some unanticipated expense always comes up and that could find me with inadequate funds in my checking account.

So I think after Xmas I will hold off until I get back to where I am comfortable with where I am at, and then pickup where I left off.

But right now, I need some safety toe boots and some tires for the small pickup.

Joe13 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  14. Heywood

Heywood Prineville Oregon Well-Known Member

Batting gloves. Enough said...

Brutus57 likes this.
  15. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

I bought pair of waterproof, steel toe comfort sole Wolverines a few years ago, about a $100. I love them. Comfortable, great on the motorcycle and not ultra high tops but have ankle support. Can't remember the model but they rock. Don't get me wrong, I love my Georgia insulated goretex steel toe loggers as well, but they are heavy and you don't just slip them on like a pair of romeos.

Brutus Out

16. Decker

Decker My house Active Member

Winter weather golf gloves.

17. SFGIANTSGUY28

SFGIANTSGUY28 Beaverton, OR Active Member

PIG alpha touch for the win!! I have had these for over a year now and they are great. With solid protection and ULTIMATE dexterity it feels like you are wearing nitrile gloves. I have the "Touch " version that you can use with your cell phone with and it works well. These do not get in your way while shooting.

Although I did miss a boar last year while using these and blamed it on the gloves ;)

PIG.751-5T.jpg PIG.751-11T.jpg

They are on sale at SKD right now ***non touch version**** cannot go wrong when the Ninjas can have them delivered to your door in two or three days for 5 bucks....

http://www.skdtac.com/PIG-Full-Dexterity-Tactical-FDT-Alpha-Glove-p/pig.751.htm

18. SFGIANTSGUY28

I would jump on that deal! That price on SKD is the lowest I have seen the alphas for.

looks like they are making room for the FR version(bravo) coming in December. the FR version are almost triple the price and look to be a bit bulkier. Maybe equivalent in bulk to the Mechanix.

19. SFGIANTSGUY28

Good call. Link you posted is for alpha TOUCH which also makes that a good deal.

20. SFGIANTSGUY28

When I bought them there were two different versions of the Alphas ( Regular and Touch) only thing different was that the "touch" had finger tips that you could use your cell phone with.

not sure if the *DEMOS* on SKD are TOUCH, as it does not indicate it. however the link you posted is the touch version( says in title).

I dont see the "regulars" listed on there site *NEW* so it is possible they do not even make that model anymore.

maybe another member can chime in with correct info. I hope this clears it up a little. :confused::confused::confused: