JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The laser grips actually make a great training aid. Using one when double action dry firing can really improve your finger/hand control. Start slow and work faster.
I agree to an extent. But with a very high recoil gun meant for quick self defense situations at close ranges, you need to include that recoil as a constant variable in practice. I can quickly keep a dot on the wall with a steady hand all day long while dry firing at high rates, but light off a .357 mag in a 12.5oz gun, and that second trigger pull now morphs into a frigin Honey Badger.

For me personally, the laser straight up distracted me from getting that front sight on target, and my hands properly situated for follow up shots (insert Honey badger recoil). Also that laser dot is kind of like a pretty gal in a red dress pointing to where I need to go when im in fight mode (vs flight mode). I like the dress, the help, and the pretty looking gal, but my brain was distracted for a half second, and that could be lethal in this case.

Also, a really risky thing with lasers on a snub nose, especially if its a light weight one, is that if you regularly dry fire practice with it your run the risk of anatomically not setting yourself up to manage that recoil. The physics of discharging that round will naturally align more favorably for you if you are only using the iron sights. If you are looking for that dot, there is a good chance your body is not braced up to ward off that recoil when it hits.

But even if you do practice with the laser, and lots of live rounds, what would the point of having one be? Its just the introduction of one more variable, one thats technically not needed as you already have sights on the gun. And if your taking shots that are so far away at night, a situation that may warrent a laser, with a snubby you would be better off just running the heck out of there.

Another downside is the button on the grip that activates the laser. You cannot get a proper hold on the gun without activating it. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but if you can envision a scanario where you might need to close distance to a threat (your being a hero taking out an active shooter who is armed with a rifle), you might want to have your gun aimed and ready to go. But that laser dot could alert them, and a quick scan would show your location. That could be a major issue.

Which brings back the point why even have one on a snubby? The little guns take some serious practice at the range to keep on paper, hence the body mechanics mentioned above. The only legit scenario I can think of is if you were drawing from the hip and shooting from the hip, western syle.

Im not trying to be an internet warrior, but rather trying to help out anybody reading this. If you want to get better at shooting a .38 or .357 out of a snubby, save your money from CT laser grips, and get yourself an entry level setup casting your own bullets. Then reload your own ammo. .38 Special is forgiving, especially if its fired from a revolver, especially if that revolver is chambered in .357 mag, and even more especially if thats a steel framed revolver. You can dial in your bullet dia to your specific gun giving you better accuracy out of your gun compared to any factory ammo and do it for about 1/4th the price (once you have the tools). Thats 4 times as much range time. This will mean you practice more, which will make you more accurate and faster with those accurate shots. Which will then remind you that a laser on a snub nose is (at least for me) an un-needed accesory that over complicates the beautifully simplistic system that is a snub nose revolver. Shoot more, think less. Ive been carrying my J-frame concealed for about 13 years now in the city, and thats the best info I have learned so far on this subject. Only held at gunpoint and threatened to be killed once. I was 20 years old and no ccw :( Hence the inspiration to carry.

Heck, while im at it, anybody reading this don't get a plastic frame revolver, thats just wrong, and less tolerant to messing up handloads haha.

Pic of my recent batch of .357" deep HP cast hollow points. Mold is the 359 "Hammer" mold from MP molds, plain base bullet. Sized with a lee push through sizer. Powdercoated with Sinbad Purple from Prismatic Powders (via shake and bake method). 50/50 mix of fishing weights and range scrap for the lead.

20230323_201343.jpg 20230323_201336.jpg

Last Edited:
I agree to an extent. But with a very high recoil gun meant for quick self defense situations at close ranges, you need to include that recoil as a constant variable in practice. I can quickly keep a dot on the wall with a steady hand all day long while dry firing at high rates, but light off a .357 mag in a 12.5oz gun, and that second trigger pull now morphs into a frigin Honey Badger.
I can see the point made here, but don't agree that it applies in every instance. Dry firing is a fantastic training tool. It helps the finger and the eyes become coordinated, but I never knew it to include recoil. There's no way to combine the 2. If one can dry fire accurately "all day long", then the body mechanics are nearly in place to allow for fast double action shooting when recoil is involved. Getting the thumb and three fingers to do one thing while the remaining finger does something else takes practice. Hand strength also plays a very significant role in snubby control, especially in fast, accurate shooting.

One hundred percent behind your comments about loading light and working up, @TNThomas , but just because you don't see a use for laser grips doesn't meant there isn't one.

Good practice is good practice, no matter how it's accomplished.

I think that 90% of the utility of a laser is for home defense in a dark house, not for out-and-about scenarios. My hunch is most laser assisted guns are bedside guns.
-

Last Edited:
I picked up my LCR in .327 Fed Mag on Thursday, put the dinky little boot grip on it and ran 10 cylinders thru it on Fri.

Loaded with .32 Longs it shoots about like a .22, tho they hit 2" high, and with .32 H&R Mags is still super easy shooting. The bonus is the .32 Mag Lehigh rounds grouped very tightly at 30 ft and right at POA. It is a slick little 6-banger wheel gun.

Last Edited:
I have a S&W Model 10-4 that's a real shooter. Anything too much smaller and lighter start to get really flippy with defensive ammo and unpleasant to practice with. I have shot a friend's Charter Arms .32 Mag and they might just be the best option around, or one of the .327 Mags from Ruger. Only reason I haven't bought one is that Ammo for them is impossible to find currently. I realize that a .32 mag might not seem like enough gun, but honestly there's not much difference between standard pressure .38 Special that either doesn't expand or expands and doesn't penetrate and a .32 in my opinion. At least with .32 you get a sixth shot.

Sorry, typo. It's a 10-5, 2 inch barrel, square butt.
One drawback I find with 38 Special (the better availability of ammo notwithstanding) is the disappointing spectrum of test results found, for example, at LuckyGunner Labs. From a 2-inch barrel, only 5 of the 19 loads LG tested fell consistently inside the FBI clothing/gel penetration window. And expansion of those loads was spotty. Of those 5 loads, only Hornady 110 FTX Critical Defense and Hornady 125 XTP American Gunner are in stock at LG, and only the former exhibits reliable expansion. The dearth of decent loads erodes the availability argument for 38 SPL significantly.
-

One drawback I find with 38 Special (the better availability of ammo notwithstanding) is the disappointing spectrum of test results found, for example, at LuckyGunner Labs. From a 2-inch barrel, only 5 of the 19 loads LG tested fell consistently inside the FBI clothing/gel penetration window. And expansion of those loads was spotty. Of those 5 loads, only Hornady 110 FTX Critical Defense and Hornady 125 XTP American Gunner are in stock at LG, and only the former exhibits reliable expansion. The dearth of decent loads erodes the availability argument for 38 SPL significantly.
-
Just aim for the face.

-
That is why a lot of people use wadcutters in snubs, they don't expand but they do punch holes and are mild on recoil for fast follow up shots.

I can do that with my .32 Beretta with a lot less recoil, not that the .38 is too much recoil. It's just that if I have to aim twixt the eyes, then there really isn't much difference between .32 and .38 🤔
The great "caliber debate" is so often foisted on people by people who probably mean well. Someone is FAR better off with a gun they can shoot well in lighter caliber than they are with larger they cant hit with. My Wife's EDC is often in .22LR. I wish she would carry larger but, she is VERY recoil sensitive. The little .22's she will carry she can hit what she points at and will practice with. So the old having a gun is the first rule to wining the fight holds true.

I really like my S&W 638, shrouded hammer so no snag issues, but if i ever had the time or need I CAN still cock the hammer. Small, light, not too bad shooting .38's out of it. But, the people that have suggested renting first are wise...snubbies are pretty subjective on what will work for you.

The great "caliber debate" is so often foisted on people by people who probably mean well. Someone is FAR better off with a gun they can shoot well in lighter caliber than they are with larger they cant hit with. My Wife's EDC is often in .22LR. I wish she would carry larger but, she is VERY recoil sensitive. The little .22's she will carry she can hit what she points at and will practice with. So the old having a gun is the first rule to wining the fight holds true.
Yeah, this x1000.

I really like my S&W 638, shrouded hammer so no snag issues, but if i ever had the time or need I CAN still cock the hammer. Small, light, not too bad shooting .38's out of it. But, the people that have suggested renting first are wise...snubbies are pretty subjective on what will work for you.
I have said this all my life but now that so many states make selling a hassle? Even more important. Used to be you could buy something, play with it, if you did not like it easily get your money back. Now? Those days are over. Its a hassle to sell unless you are willing to take a hit on the cash. So even more important to make sure before you buy. Not to mention the renting is just plain fun.

I picked up my LCR in .327 Fed Mag on Thursday, put the dinky little boot grip on it and ran 10 cylinders thru it on Fri.

Loaded with .32 Longs it shoots about like a .22, tho they hit 2" high, and with .32 H&R Mags is still super easy shooting. The bonus is the .32 Mag Lehigh rounds grouped very tightly at 30 ft and right at POA. It is a slick little 6-banger wheel gun.
I like the LCRX, although, being allergic to Rubber, those grips had to go. Mine wears mahogany grips.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top