JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1679349902733.png

Aloha, Mark

I am missing, in my lineup, a good snubby. One could say that I've always made due with a larger package. But now, I need some help in being a tad more discrete - and I'm thinking, are small revolvers worth it?

38sp? 357? 327? Something else entirely? Ruger has always treated me well with single actions - what about the LCR? Are Smith's any good (new) or would you look for something older?

Anything you'd stay away from?
For sheer rareness, memorability, and ligament damage, a Security Industries (Little Ferry N.J.) copy of the J-frame Smith Chief's special in .357.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 3.24.56 PM.png

Have you shot them? If not this is a good gun to rent first. As mentioned the air weight versions of these are not for everyone. Nice for carry, not so nice for shooting unless you are going to stick with mild .38's. In .357 they can be BRUTAL! Older Smiths are well knows for smooth actions if you don't mind the price. Would look to rent a couple of these things first though and make sure you really do want one.
Friend of mine had a Ruger 357 2", yup brutal he sold it!
Gabby

To recommend one over the other a person would have to have experience with both. I dont have that. What I do have is over 30 years experience with a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug in .44spl.with 200gr slugs and medium loads my son was able to shoot it at age 5 he could hit a paper plate at 5 yards. Its ungodly loud but accurate to 10 yards min of paper plate. And reasonable compact 5 rds. The FBI rated the .44spl as a very close to one shot weapon in their tests as it made a big hole that dumped all of its energy in the target rather then blow through it.

I also have 10 years with a Charter Arms undercover in .38+P alloy frame very light 5rd. I carry 115gr HP's with medium level loads.

I should note here that with a 2" barrel unless your hoping to burn your target hot loads are a waste of powder as half the powder ends up burning past the muzzle on these small revolvers so better to use a medium level load with a fast powder. Then a load designed for a 4 or 6" barrel. You get the same spd and energy without all the flash.

The Undercover is a good handling little gun and is my primary EDC. Accuracy is also in the min of paper plate at 10yards level I have shot 5" 5rd. Groups with it. In single action the trigger is very nice and crisp.

Thats my two cents.
I carried a 1970's model Charter Arms Undercover for more years than I care to remember. It had the slim wood stocks it came with and I switched to the rubber gripsI gave it to my daughter after I'd had it 50 years which is her age last time I checked maybe 51 now. I missed it so much I started looking for a replacement for it. I was browsing in my local gun shop, and came across a Taurus model 85 SS 2", I've been leery of Taurus for years, but this one had a great trigger right out of the box. Figuratively speaking since they had lost the box and paperwork! They gave me a smoking price on it so I bought it, I found it to be quite accurate if I miss with it it's my fault.
I carried a S&W 9mm for years, but racking a slide is getting harder for me, and I'm carrying the Taurus every day.
I love it as much as I can love an Item made of steel and rubber. Got a speed loader for it and made my own pouch for it.
I I think I would have bought the new 6 shot snubby had they had one available if they are as well made as the model 85. Check them out, the 5 shot 85 will be a little slimmer and a bit easier to conceal. The fit and finish of my Taurus is as good as a S&W.
Check them out you may like one.
Gabby
PS I forgot all the literature online that I saw rates the 85 for +P ammo Mine has stamped on the bottom of the under barrel lug 38SPL* I don't know if the * indicates it's +P or not. But I carry +P in it but practice with standard ammo.

PPS I should have said a little more about my Undercover38. It was steel framed and blued, by the time I gave it to her about half the blueing was gone it had seen a lot of carry wear much of it in the top of my cowboy boot, not the fastest place to get from but no one ever knew I had it. Not the most comfortable either LOL. But it worked for me, one of those light versions would have been easier but I bought it for a backup gun in my briefcase while on patrol as a city cop. By the way cop means constable on patrol, and C.O.P. is Chief Of Police, another leg wetting fact Hah ha.
Gabby

Last Edited:
... came across a Taurus model 85 SS 2", I've been leery of Taurus for years, but this one had a great trigger right out of the box.
Huh. I inherited my dad's 3-inch Taurus 85 SS and it's impossible to shoot DA, the heavy break is so severe it snap-dives below the target sheet. (shoots fine SA.) I don't know how old yours is, this one was made in the early '90s.
-

Huh. I inherited my dad's 3-inch Taurus 85 SS and it's impossible to shoot DA, the heavy break is so severe it snap-dives below the target sheet. (shoots fine SA.) I don't know how old yours is, this one was made in the early '90s.
-
I find that unfortunate as my 2" was a pleasure in DA.

I find that unfortunate as my 2" was a pleasure in DA.
It is fairly common to find complaints about Taurus wheel guns. They have made and imported a ton of them. I have had several over decades and all worked fine. None were as nice as the high end models but I was not paying high end price. With that mass production they do let out a problem child now and then as does everyone.

Get a J-frame, you cant go wrong, and they hold their value. I have been pocket carying mine for about 10 years. Front right pocket. Its really nice in the city as you can literally have your hand on the gun in your pocket, and nobody notices. I vote for any of the aluminum or aluminum alloy (Scandium) frames. Get the light weight ones. They are not fun to shoot, but thats not the point. Get one, shoot it till your hand hurts, and shoot some more. Mine is in .357 mag, but honestly, its a little much for 2 legged critters. I carry .357 in the woods, and 38 special in the city. I took off my recoil tamer/crimson trace grips in favor of this old set. I have found they print less, and are easier to get a crappy hold on and actually draw from the pocket.

Resized_20230114_020820.jpeg

-
Mine is brand new when I bought it. The reason I was leery of Taurus was stories like yours and bad reports on waranty work. I think the DA is rated about 6# and the SA is about 1.5# both are smooth and crisp, that's why I got it. A good gunsmith could probably make it easier to shoot after a new set ofsprings and a good polishing job. Smooth parts move easier. I recall some stories about Taurus back in that time frame that they didn't have very good quality control, and possibly bad repair problems. I may be wrong, but I think I read where S&W took them over recently that may have something to do with newer production.
Good luck,
Gabby

I'm guessing those are not the stock grips for that gun.
They're S&W J-frame grips. The black rubber ones that came with it are fugly, but more practical. A box of 158gr +P tends to tear up my middle finger pretty good with the wood grips.
I only use the wood grips for pics to post on the innerwebs or if I'm carrying IWB/OWB as they seem to make drawing easier. The rubber ones look ugly, feel weird, but certainly make the gun easier to shoot more than a couple cylinders and work better for pocket carry.

They're S&W J-frame grips. The black rubber ones that came with it are fugly, but more practical. A box of 158gr +P tends to tear up my middle finger pretty good with the wood grips.
I only use the wood grips for pics to post on the innerwebs or if I'm carrying IWB/OWB as they seem to make drawing easier. The rubber ones look ugly, feel weird, but certainly make the gun easier to shoot more than a couple cylinders and work better for pocket carry.
I have a set of CT LG-405's on mine. Much more comfortable to shoot plus has a laser.

I have a set of CT LG-405's on mine. Much more comfortable to shoot plus has a laser.
I had those same CT grips, but I took them off because of the laser. I personally found that its so hard to actually hit a target with the j frame, that the laser just distracted me from using proper shooting mechanics. Follow up shots especially.

The .357 are nuts though, definitely nice to have the rubber butt. Still feels like your punching a brick wall!

I had those same CT grips, but I took them off because of the laser. I personally found that its so hard to actually hit a target with the j frame, that the laser just distracted me from using proper shooting mechanics. Follow up shots especially.

The .357 are nuts though, definitely nice to have the rubber butt. Still feels like your punching a brick wall!
The laser grips actually make a great training aid. Using one when double action dry firing can really improve your finger/hand control. Start slow and work faster.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top